God’s law versus secular law. Which is moral?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-11-2012, 06:49 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 06:53 AM by Greatest I am.)

Our literature is rife with criticisms of God’s laws denouncing them as immoral.

This is mostly done by non-believers and secular law makers and even many believers. The whole world has rejected the morality of God’s law.

Satan shall deceive the whole world. That is scripture.

Believers say that God’s laws are moral; yet very few believers are trying to push for adoption of God’s laws by secular governments.

If believers believed that God’s laws are moral, it follows that they would be trying to have them implemented by governments. Strangely, they do not.

Can a believer believe in God yet not believe in his laws?

No believer is living by God’s law.

If believers believe in God’s laws, should believers be living by them?

Law without punishment is impotent law.

Should believers demand that secular law use God’s punishments where those few laws are basically identical?

Regards
DL

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-11-2012, 07:10 AM
RE: God’s law versus secular law. Which is moral?
Cool story bro needs more dragon

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 7 users Like earmuffs's post
15-11-2012, 08:44 AM
(15-11-2012 07:10 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Cool story bro needs more dragon

I don't know. I felt it was draggin.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
15-11-2012, 10:07 AM (This post was last modified: 15-11-2012 10:21 AM by Starcrash.)
I was at least hoping for examples, but instead you gave us empty assertions. So let me do what you should have.

God's law -- Slavery is fine, so long as you don't enslave fellow Jews.
Secular law -- Slavery is illegal.

God's law -- Women are killed if they aren't virgins on their wedding night. Guys can sleep with whomever they want before getting married, with no penalty. Gays must be killed. Rapists are killed if caught, and so are their victims if they don't make enough noise.
Secular law -- Sex that doesn't cause harm is perfectly legal, and it's nobody's business (right to privacy). If you have a potentially deadly STD, you must tell your partner. Rape is illegal, including sex with people who are too young to consent.

God's law -- No shellfish , pigs , or a variety of other animals (like sphinxes ???).
Secular law -- You have the freedom to eat whatever you want, short of cannibalism.

God's law -- No stealing or murder.
Secular law -- No stealing or murder.

God's law -- Kill all non-believers. (also here)
Secular law -- Freedom of religion.

The reason that we criticize God's law is because it's so easy to point at examples which are silly, cruel, or foolish. Secular morality protects people from getting hurt, and God's law protects the feelings of a non-existent entity. We can see the benefit of secular laws, but many of God's laws are pointless.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Starcrash's post
15-11-2012, 10:12 AM
I love my Gwynnies! Big Grin

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
15-11-2012, 10:58 AM
(15-11-2012 06:49 AM)Greatest I am Wrote:  
Believers say that God’s laws are moral; yet very few believers are trying to push for adoption of God’s laws by secular governments.

If believers believed that God’s laws are moral, it follows that they would be trying to have them implemented by governments. Strangely, they do not.
I don't agree with this at all. First, I think some believers do push for governments to adopt God's laws. Here in the US, the debates over abortion, gay marriage, whether to keep "God" on money or in court houses, etc. are examples of that. However, by and large most believers do stay uninvolved in the push here. But that doesn't lead to the conclusion that they don't believe God's laws are moral. I think (at least in many countries) people accept that not everyone believes the same things and are willing to let it go at the government level. But even that isn't always true either. Look at Islam, for example where religion and government are completely integrated.

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 2 users Like Impulse's post
15-11-2012, 11:21 AM
People generally think that God's law of Old Testament is equal and just, that is, eye for eye, tooth for tooth. That is kind of sort of moral, for that time. The law of proportionality of crime and punishment can be found in all modern secular criminal law codes, that is moral.
But when my law teacher said that, eye for eye is from the Old Testament, I disagreed. I said it is from the Hamurrabi's code and that Old Testament is basically Sharia law. That there is no proportionality between OT "crime" and the punishment.

I did not have time to add more. But you get the idea. It's all death for non-crimes like picking sticks on sabbath or being gay and if you get lucky, there's just chopping limbs. But if you rape someone, just throw 30 pieces silver on top to the father and you've got yourself a new wife.
I know Sharia is in Islam and Islam comes from about 4th century from Muhammad, but Muslims just like Christians come from some semi-Jewish desert tribes that shared a lot of the culture, including the writings. Muhammad just did a worse job in reforming Judaism than Jesus, Muhammad saved his own skin but made a compromise of the tribal law of the desert. The power in Judea was broken by Romans. But Muhammad had only his own might to make right, he was a warlord and probably needed other patriarchs as allies and they had demands on what to put into Koran, I think. This is why today in Islam we have basically laws that were obsolete and primitive 4,000 years ago, compared to Hamurrabi's code (Babylonians I think). And this is the law that Christians consider morally superior?
15-11-2012, 11:51 AM
There is no God's Law as there is no God. There is a book which describes some laws that some people living in the middle east were using a few thousand years ago. And then there's today's (mostly) secular law.

He's not the Messiah. He's a very naughty boy! -Brian's mum
[+] 1 user Likes Cardinal Smurf's post
15-11-2012, 12:07 PM
(15-11-2012 11:51 AM)Cardinal Smurf Wrote:  There is no God's Law as there is no God.

[Image: 30263901.jpg]

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
15-11-2012, 12:26 PM
Which god are we talking about now? because if we have to start sacrificing virgins to some weird ancient god we're screwed!!

[Image: sigvacachica.png]