God - Ahh Ahhh - Creator of the Universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-01-2013, 11:29 AM
RE: God - Ahh Ahhh - Creator of the Universe
(29-01-2013 07:03 AM)Ghost Wrote:  So my question is this. How many people here, for whatever reason, consider a creator of the universe a possibility and why and how many people here believe that there is in fact no creator of the universe and why? Answers not represented in that question are welcome as well.

What I think of "it all" has little relevance to what may or may not be and if some thing identified itself as responsible for "it all", it would have little effect on my existence. If someone were to say, "But it might kill you!" ... well then, if it killed me, I suppose I would be dead. Which I eventually will be anyway.

I see no reason to attach an identity or conscience to any sort of mechanism that might have set the processes in motion which eventually resulted in the Milky Way, our star, this planet or me.

I've never lain awake at night pondering the notion that if I named my car Betsy it might run more efficiently, either. Drinking Beverage

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
29-01-2013, 11:37 AM
I don't see how their could be . . . that also must break the laws of physics in order to be considered "god like". In reality, it is the religious that have "something from nothing". The "god spoke, and it was good" from Genesis. It is a tough topic, though, because there is that unknown that exists "out there", . . . and travels backwards in time to "the beginning", . . . even if there WERE an actual "beginning". No one can know that. What we CAN know is what shows up in evidential support. Things that were considered "supernatural" in the past [earthquakes, lightning, etc] were discovered to be naturalistic phenomena, . . . mechanisms understood. We may never fully understand "the beginning", . . . but I imagine that there was a time when people thought they would never understand the scary flashes of lightning.
[+] 1 user Likes DeavonReye's post
29-01-2013, 02:53 PM
I think we're all characters in some super-advanced hyper-being's slash fiction story.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
29-01-2013, 04:37 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2013 04:59 PM by Luminon.)
I've been called an agnostic pantheist and in a sense, that's rather correct. If there is God, it can't be a deistic god, it must be something most involved in every aspect of material existence. If there is a creator, it must be also maintainer and destroyer of the universe. The Hindu holy trinity comes to my mind.

What is consciousness? I came to an opinion, that consciousness and intelligence are fundamental properties of energy and matter.
I subscribe to the many bodies, many dimensions theory. (and please I mean a colloquial meaning of 'theory')
It says that the energy and matter exists on many levels of fineness and activity. Some levels of them we call solid material and their energy is electric or heat, for example. But the same energies on the level of other dimensions we interpret as feelings and thought. If so, there are whole dimensions where thoughts are things, where feelings are streams of matter. A much finer matter, made of something exotic like axions, but still a matter nonetheless. And our body of thought defines our capability to think (interpreted by the meat brain) but this body is only a cell in a greater body of a Logos, a planetary God, which is part of a body of a solar Logos, which is a mere cell in the body of galactic Logos. All the Logoi are beings that develop, they're not perfect. They're not omnipotent, not omniscient and not omnipresent. Except perhaps within their sphere of expression. In his sphere of expression, his ring-pass-not, we are manifestation of his material "thought-processes", we are the dream that he dreams.

I just like this idea. It is so... fractal! It means we're a part of something greater, yet it means some duties. Our imperfections holds back the god himself from perfection. He's only as perfect as his little cells are.

The western idea of God is so lame, so unbalanced. The eastern idea is not much better. I like synthesis. If not provable, it's at least it has a piece of fairness in it. I don't think religions are going to go anywhere any soon, but there is a religion that I would entrust people to, if they absolutely have to be religious.
So here's one of my favorite writers, Alice Bailey. I regret there are no discussions of atheists against occult apologetists. Feel free to criticize, it would be very refreshing after hearing Christianity refuted for the hundredth time. I see the downside that the religion isn't very original. But otherwise I have a hard time catching her at anything incorrect. (except that I've noticed she doesn't like homosexuals and Jews - but doesn't blame them or anything) At the same time, I wonder who would be interested in that sort of thing and why. Let's try you guys. Specially you, Ghost. I was always interested in middle paths, in synthesis and juxtaposition, in other ways than total faith or no faith.

(don't worry, I'm not preaching here, please disbelieve and criticize! The only god I obey and fear is the god of procrastination, at who's altar I pray daily for hours.)

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 1 user Likes Luminon's post
29-01-2013, 04:56 PM
(29-01-2013 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  I've been called an agnostic pantheist and in a sense, that's rather correct. If there is God, it can't be a deistic god, it must be something most involved in every aspect of material existence. If there is a creator, it must be also maintainer and destroyer of the universe. The Hindu holy trinity comes to my mind.

What is consciousness? I came to an opinion, that consciousness and intelligence are fundamental properties of energy and matter.
I subscribe to the many bodies, many dimensions theory. (and please I mean a colloquial meaning of 'theory')
It says that the energy and matter exists on many levels of fineness and activity. Some levels of them we call solid material and their energy is electric or heat, for example. But the same energies on the level of other dimensions we interpret as feelings and thought. If so, there are whole dimensions where thoughts are things, where feelings are streams of matter. A much finer matter, made of something exotic like axions, but still a matter nonetheless. And our body of thought defines our capability to think (interpreted by the meat brain) but this body is only a cell in a greater body of a Logos, a planetary God, which is part of a body of a solar Logos, which is a mere cell in the body of galactic Logos. All the Logoi are beings that develop, they're not perfect. They're not omnipotent, not omniscient and not omnipresent. Except perhaps within their sphere of expression. In his sphere of expression, his ring-pass-not, we are manifestation of his material "thought-processes", we are the dream that he dreams.

I just like this idea. It is so... fractal! It means we're a part of something greater, yet it means some duties. Our imperfections holds back the god himself from perfection. He's only as perfect as his little cells are.

The western idea of God is so lame, so unbalanced. The eastern idea is not much better. I like synthesis. If not provable, it's at least it has a piece of fairness in it. I don't think religions are going to go anywhere any soon, but there is a religion that I would entrust people to, if they absolutely have to be religious.
So here's one of my favorite writers. I regret there are no discussions of atheists against occult apologetists. Feel free to criticize, it would be very refreshing after hearing Christianity refuted for the hundredth time. I see the downside that the religion isn't very original. But otherwise I have a hard time catching her at anything incorrect. At the same time, I wonder who would be interested in that sort of thing and why. Let's try you guys. Specially you, Ghost. I was always interested in middle paths, in synthesis and juxtaposition, in other ways than total faith or no faith.

(don't worry, I'm not preaching here, please disbelieve and criticize! The only god I obey and fear is the god of procrastination, at who's altar I pray daily for hours.)
Can I have some of the stuff you're smoking? Consider
29-01-2013, 05:04 PM
(29-01-2013 07:03 AM)Ghost Wrote:  So my question is this. How many people here, for whatever reason, consider a creator of the universe a possibility and why and how many people here believe that there is in fact no creator of the universe and why?
If there is a creator or creators, I think the likely hood of one mind creating the universe is low. I think if the universe was created, it would be most likely that a race of beings did it.

I'm not closed to the idea of the universe coming about do to another creatures meddling, but we only go where the data leads.

The reason why I wouldn't call them god or gods, is that to create a universe one must be imperfect in someway. Which would go against the leading definition of god.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-01-2013, 05:07 PM
(29-01-2013 05:04 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  
(29-01-2013 07:03 AM)Ghost Wrote:  So my question is this. How many people here, for whatever reason, consider a creator of the universe a possibility and why and how many people here believe that there is in fact no creator of the universe and why?
If there is a creator or creators, I think the likely hood of one mind creating the universe is low. I think if the universe was created, it would be most likely that a race of beings did it.

I'm not closed to the idea of the universe coming about do to another creatures meddling, but we only go where the data leads.

The reason why I wouldn't call them god or gods, is that to create a universe one must be imperfect in someway. Which would go against the leading definition of god.

You just have the problem of where did they come from. Not a solution. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-01-2013, 05:11 PM
(29-01-2013 05:07 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-01-2013 05:04 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  If there is a creator or creators, I think the likely hood of one mind creating the universe is low. I think if the universe was created, it would be most likely that a race of beings did it.

You just have the problem of where did they come from. Not a solution. Drinking Beverage
Of course logically speaking we'd have to figure out who they were, where they came from, how they existed etc.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
29-01-2013, 05:14 PM
(29-01-2013 04:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Can I have some of the stuff you're smoking? Consider

Lumi usually has some shit going. Awesome, isn't it? Shy

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
29-01-2013, 05:22 PM
(29-01-2013 04:56 PM)Vosur Wrote:  Can I have some of the stuff you're smoking? Consider
I'm often like that after the group meditation session Smile It must do wonders with brain chemistry and endorphins, too bad it takes a group and years of meditation to get the effect going. Frankly, after you have a mystical experience, the whole question of god's existence or non-existence becomes rather relative, universal, yet personally connecting. If only the mystical experience was more popular among believers and atheists, the world would be a much more relaxed place Drooling

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
[+] 2 users Like Luminon's post