God - Ahh Ahhh - Creator of the Universe

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-01-2013, 12:56 PM
RE: God - Ahh Ahhh - Creator of the Universe
If there is a "god", he created the most simple form of life and walked away.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-01-2013, 01:08 PM
(30-01-2013 12:39 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Ugh. I'm so sick of these fucking definition wars. It's so stupid. It's about ideology, power and dominance packaged as protecting the "Truth". Bleh.

Yes, I've often found that someone's perception of "Truth" is very often propped up by someone else's agenda.

That's why...
[Image: amazing.jpg]

Come to the dark side of unencumbered practicality, Matt... it might be a struggle but we have great cookies. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
[+] 5 users Like kim's post
30-01-2013, 03:57 PM
No, I do NOT entertain the idea of a creator. That would be wasting the small amount of time I have on this rock.

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
30-01-2013, 04:09 PM
(30-01-2013 03:57 PM)aurora Wrote:  No, I do NOT entertain the idea of a creator. That would be wasting the small amount of time I have on this rock.

OK, that's just about as terse and deadly as it gets. Thumbsup

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
30-01-2013, 05:28 PM
I stick with being agnostic deist... I don't think we will find out if the mighty gizmo created this universe or not. I do not see it in anyway effecting things so I'm dandy

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-01-2013, 05:53 PM
(30-01-2013 12:39 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, Chas.

You're answering the question with a question. I just want to know if you entertain the possibility of a creator of the universe.

Hey, DLJ.

That was very honest of you. Thank you for that.

I mean, I don't know with 100% certainty whether or not I'm gonna die when my plane crashes into a shark's mouth, but I don't entertain the possibility.

But God? I entertain that possibility. There may very well be a God. But then again, maybe not. To me, and I'm special, they are both merely possibilities.

Ugh. I'm so sick of these fucking definition wars. It's so stupid. It's about ideology, power and dominance packaged as protecting the "Truth". Bleh.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Definitions are important for clarity to determine what the vague notion of god really is.

God
capitalized : the supreme or ultimate reality: as
a : the Being perfect in power, wisdom, and goodness who is worshipped as creator and ruler of the universe
b Christian Science : the incorporeal divine Principle ruling over all as eternal Spirit : infinite Mind

: a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship; specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality

: a person or thing of supreme value

: a powerful ruler

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
02-02-2013, 05:05 PM
Hey, Chas.

So you don't. Cool. Thank you.

Hey, Aurora.

Thank you.

Hey, Clyde.

Nice.

Hey, fst.

Just threw up in my mouth a little.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
02-02-2013, 06:00 PM
Ghost, add me to the possible-but-not-probable camp. I simply don't know and don't think I ever will or can know. So I'm an agnostic atheist. The more I read and wrap my head around science and evolution, the less likely a creator seems to me.

Godless in the Magnolia State
02-02-2013, 07:25 PM
(30-01-2013 05:53 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Definitions are important for clarity to determine what the vague notion of god really is.

That's interesting... here's what my magical dictionary widget has to say:

1 [without article ] (in Christianity and other monotheistic religions) the creator and ruler of the universe and source of all moral authority; the supreme being.

2 ( god) (in certain other religions) a superhuman being or spirit worshiped as having power over nature or human fortunes; a deity : a moon god | an incarnation of the god Vishnu.
• an image, idol, animal, or other object worshiped as divine or symbolizing a god.
• used as a conventional personification of fate : he dialed the number and, the gods relenting, got through at once.

3 ( god) an adored, admired, or influential person : he has little time for the fashion victims for whom he is a god.
• a thing accorded the supreme importance appropriate to a god : don't make money your god.

4 ( the gods) informal the gallery in a theater.
• the people sitting in this area.

--- Oh and it's pronounced - gäd.

I like that number 4 ... probably because I've actually encountered evidence of the gods in a theater. Wink

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
02-02-2013, 07:53 PM
(30-01-2013 12:39 PM)Ghost Wrote:  I just want to know if you entertain the possibility of a creator of the universe.

I choose to think there might be possibilities regarding many things. I think remaining open to possibilities becomes the struggle for some.

As I've stated for myself, I may be open to the possibility of a creator of the universe yet, it would not change anything about me or how I perceive anyone else - maybe it might change how I view the universe itself - but I don't know that. If some responsible party showed up, it might be amazing but I suspect I would just go on living until I die.

I often wonder if people who ask about the possibility of a "creator" are actually asking about the possibility of a future. I could speculate about the future, but it would only be about me. I am in right now and I'll be in right now until I'm dead. That's all I actually know.