God Bless America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2016, 06:35 AM
RE: God Bless America
(02-07-2016 01:04 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 11:33 PM)SYZ Wrote:  It's as hokey and outdated as the Australian national anthem, which most dinky di's are embarrassed by...

That's all well and good, but "god bless America" isn't our national anthem. Drinking Beverage

So, I think it's even more stupid.
"Star Spangled Banner" is set to an old English drinking song, so there's a certain elegance there. Tongue
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Gawdzilla's post
02-07-2016, 07:10 AM
(01-07-2016 11:33 PM)SYZ Wrote:  It's as hokey and outdated as the Australian national anthem, which most dinky di's are embarrassed by...

Verse 1
Australia's sons let us rejoice,
For we are young and free;
We've golden soil and wealth for toil,
Our home is girt by sea;
Our land abounds in Nature's gifts
Of beauty rich and rare;
In hist'ry's page, let ev'ry stage
Advance Australia fair.
In joyful strains then let us sing,
Advance Australia fair.

Verse 2
When gallant Cook from Albion sailed,
To trace wide oceans o'er,
True British courage bore him on,
Til he landed on our shore.
Then here he raised Old England's flag,
The standard of the brave;
"With all her faults we love her still"
"Britannia rules the wave."
In joyful strains then let us sing
Advance Australia fair.

Verse 3
While other nations of the globe
Behold us from afar,
We'll rise to high renown and shine
Like our glorious southern star;
From England soil and Fatherland,
Scotia and Erin fair,
Let all combine with heart and hand
To advance Australia fair.
Advance Australia fair.

Verse 4
Should foreign foe e'er sight our coast,
Or dare a foot to land,
We'll rouse to arms like sires of yore,
To guard our native strand;
Britannia then shall surely know,
Though oceans roll between,
Her sons in fair Australia's land
Still keep their courage green.
Advance Australia fair.

When Betty (hopefully) pops her clogs in the near future, and Australia becomes a republic, this dreadful funereal dirge sucking up to the "mother country" will end up in the trash bin of our history. Hopefully.

Britannia rules the fucking waves? Seriously, LOL.

those are, er... interesting lyrics
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
02-07-2016, 07:12 AM
(02-07-2016 06:25 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(01-07-2016 07:43 AM)Mr. Boston Wrote:  I've always thought the song was kinda quaint and dinky but it doesn't offend me.

It does offend me, no not the human right to dream up crappy songs. But the logic behind it considering we are not a Christian theocracy. It is logically speaking a very narcissistic presumptive song that assumes our nation is based on religious pecking orders.

If people want to sing it fine, cant stop them, but as a business, which is what a pro sports team is, you should want to expand your audience, not limit it to one demographic.

I fail to understand what is wrong with being neutral? "God Bless America" is not inclusive, it was written with solely the Christian God in mind. And even within the same umbrella label, there are different sects of Christianity both on the left and right and adding God to it simply creates more needless divisions. Pro sports and even college sports, and especially soccer and pro hockey already have divided fans willing to beat the shit out of each other for no good reason.

The two worst mistakes America made in our history was adding God to the money and to the pledge. We already had the First Amendment and the oath of office that protected pluralism.

really? you think those are the two worst mistakes america has made?
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
02-07-2016, 07:22 AM
(02-07-2016 07:12 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 06:25 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  It does offend me, no not the human right to dream up crappy songs. But the logic behind it considering we are not a Christian theocracy. It is logically speaking a very narcissistic presumptive song that assumes our nation is based on religious pecking orders.

If people want to sing it fine, cant stop them, but as a business, which is what a pro sports team is, you should want to expand your audience, not limit it to one demographic.

I fail to understand what is wrong with being neutral? "God Bless America" is not inclusive, it was written with solely the Christian God in mind. And even within the same umbrella label, there are different sects of Christianity both on the left and right and adding God to it simply creates more needless divisions. Pro sports and even college sports, and especially soccer and pro hockey already have divided fans willing to beat the shit out of each other for no good reason.

The two worst mistakes America made in our history was adding God to the money and to the pledge. We already had the First Amendment and the oath of office that protected pluralism.

really? you think those are the two worst mistakes america has made?

As far as trying to erode Jefferson's wall yes. Don't take that out of context. Inserting that word on the money and in the pledge, has added to the political distraction that religions already had. I accept that religion will always make attempts to influence politics.

But to ignore those acts as fostering religious nationalism, which they do is stupid, they have. It is why you even today, have our right wing caring more about bathrooms and protecting the firearms that murdered 49 people on top of being supported by a party that promotes the religious bigotry of the Christian right that has always hated LGBT.

It is bad enough, even without that, that America had White European Christians pick up bibles and justify slavery, denial of women voting, genocide of Native Americans.

Adding those words is a horrible anchor that allows our religious right to fester in an antiquated past. They allow the underpinnings to linger.

The irony is that there was a time when the republican party was sane and insisted that religion stay out of politics.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
02-07-2016, 07:37 AM
Nice, lumping firearms in there with religious bigotry. I understand you don't like guns, but that does not animate them and make "firearms that murdered" a reality.
02-07-2016, 07:51 AM
(02-07-2016 07:37 AM)Armageddon it Wrote:  Nice, lumping firearms in there with religious bigotry. I understand you don't like guns, but that does not animate them and make "firearms that murdered" a reality.

Shoe fits.

If there were no truth to "God/guns" the right wouldn't be screaming about freedom of religion and be willing to use weapons to "defend" it. I don't see that shit any differently than when Islam is willing to use weapons to "defend" Islam.

DAMN IT, this is not about me alone. You are absolutely right, I personally don't like guns, but that is not my point. I am speaking about our nations long term attitude and the ignorance of the fact that the current NRA is not what it started out as which I would be fine with. It got hijacked by insane nuts back in the late 70s and co opted the religious right on top of that.

"Most dont" is the same bullshit logic you get from Muslims. It isn't a matter of most, but a big enough minority to cause problems. And the NRA and religious right ARE mixing religion and weapons and using fear to maintain the status quo.

Liberals are gun owners too, Gabby Giffords does. And I personally know liberals who own guns. But the difference is that we know and accept there is a problem, and just like even with atheists, we also accept that religion does play a roll in giving cover to others to justify mixing weapons and religion.

I could give a fuck less if you personally don't attach your love of guns to religion, but this asshole does, and far too many do. But even your ignorance of not wanting to face the reality of gun violence is the same blindnesss regardess. But this is that big minority that is causing our problems.

https://www.amazon.com/Guns-Grits-Gravy-...1250060990

So don't hand me any bullshit that followers of the GOP don't fall for that crap. Huckabee is mixing religion and weapons and selling the blind worship of both.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
02-07-2016, 07:57 AM
I remember singing this song as a kid, at school. It was a chance to sing. I have never held any deep meaning for me and honestly I haven't even thought much about the song in years. The only time I would notice it was if I heard someone sing it really badly though it's not really a musical masterpiece to begin with.

I think we have other bigger issues to deal with.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-07-2016, 07:58 AM
My ignorance and blindness. Alright, fuck you , you dipshit. I have no idea what you've seen and what your experiences are, so I won't say you don't understand something, don't comprehend something. I have made no excuses for anyone. I simply pointed out that you like to lump gun supporters in there with religitards, and doing so is ignorant. I don't know you, you don't know me. Take your condescending elitist attitude and shove it up your pacifist ass.

Now you got MY tits wiggling.

Asshole
[+] 3 users Like Armageddon it's post
02-07-2016, 08:10 AM
(02-07-2016 07:57 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I remember singing this song as a kid, at school. It was a chance to sing. I have never held any deep meaning for me and honestly I haven't even thought much about the song in years. The only time I would notice it was if I heard someone sing it really badly though it's not really a musical masterpiece to begin with.

I think we have other bigger issues to deal with.

To you, and that would be fine, but again, it only takes just enough en mass, and not a majority, but just enough to take it seriously.

Just like Muslims are right in saying "Most Muslims" are not violent. I agree, but as far as the collective mindset of the theocracies of the East, you do have just enough of a big enough minority that is holding that region hostage.

I am not even saying don't like it or ever sing it at all. Just don't be blind to the other side of it that do hear it and justify religious nationalism with that song, they do.

Our religious right does take God on the money and God in our pledge as a justification for a social pecking order. That song not being officially sanctioned by the government, does not change that the pledge and our money are endorsements of religion by proxy of the word "God" being on them.

I don't know if you have read it, but if you have not, Sam Harris wrote "Letter To A Christian Nation". Which makes the argument and I agree with, and I am sure the founders would agree with him, that it isn't a good idea to use government to set up religious pecking orders.

02-07-2016, 08:14 AM
oh dear. look what ive done.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post