God Bless America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2016, 08:14 AM
RE: God Bless America
This is the only thing they should be singing during the 7th inning stretch.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
02-07-2016, 08:17 AM
I take that back, you could also play this to your heart’s content!

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
02-07-2016, 08:26 AM (This post was last modified: 02-07-2016 08:31 AM by Full Circle.)
Screw it, I’m on a roll...Smile

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
02-07-2016, 08:46 AM
Who calls hot dog buns 'rolls'?

Smartass
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2016, 09:03 AM
(02-07-2016 07:37 AM)Armageddon it Wrote:  Nice, lumping firearms in there with religious bigotry. I understand you don't like guns, but that does not animate them and make "firearms that murdered" a reality.

I see you have met Brian. Dodgy

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
02-07-2016, 09:06 AM
(02-07-2016 08:10 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 07:57 AM)Anjele Wrote:  I remember singing this song as a kid, at school. It was a chance to sing. I have never held any deep meaning for me and honestly I haven't even thought much about the song in years. The only time I would notice it was if I heard someone sing it really badly though it's not really a musical masterpiece to begin with.

I think we have other bigger issues to deal with.

To you, and that would be fine, but again, it only takes just enough en mass, and not a majority, but just enough to take it seriously.

Just like Muslims are right in saying "Most Muslims" are not violent. I agree, but as far as the collective mindset of the theocracies of the East, you do have just enough of a big enough minority that is holding that region hostage.

I am not even saying don't like it or ever sing it at all. Just don't be blind to the other side of it that do hear it and justify religious nationalism with that song, they do.

Our religious right does take God on the money and God in our pledge as a justification for a social pecking order. That song not being officially sanctioned by the government, does not change that the pledge and our money are endorsements of religion by proxy of the word "God" being on them.

I don't know if you have read it, but if you have not, Sam Harris wrote "Letter To A Christian Nation". Which makes the argument and I agree with, and I am sure the founders would agree with him, that it isn't a good idea to use government to set up religious pecking orders.

What I am saying is that it's a stupid fucking song. Who the hell cares? I am willing to wager that most people don't even think about the words whether they are singing along or just hearing it.

We have bigger problems than what is being sung at baseball games.

Jesus you get off on some crazy rants.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-07-2016, 09:07 AM
(02-07-2016 08:14 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  oh dear. look what ive done.

We took a vote; everything is your fault. Tongue

[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-07-2016, 09:26 AM
(02-07-2016 09:06 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 08:10 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  To you, and that would be fine, but again, it only takes just enough en mass, and not a majority, but just enough to take it seriously.

Just like Muslims are right in saying "Most Muslims" are not violent. I agree, but as far as the collective mindset of the theocracies of the East, you do have just enough of a big enough minority that is holding that region hostage.

I am not even saying don't like it or ever sing it at all. Just don't be blind to the other side of it that do hear it and justify religious nationalism with that song, they do.

Our religious right does take God on the money and God in our pledge as a justification for a social pecking order. That song not being officially sanctioned by the government, does not change that the pledge and our money are endorsements of religion by proxy of the word "God" being on them.

I don't know if you have read it, but if you have not, Sam Harris wrote "Letter To A Christian Nation". Which makes the argument and I agree with, and I am sure the founders would agree with him, that it isn't a good idea to use government to set up religious pecking orders.

What I am saying is that it's a stupid fucking song. Who the hell cares? I am willing to wager that most people don't even think about the words whether they are singing along or just hearing it.

We have bigger problems than what is being sung at baseball games.

Jesus you get off on some crazy rants.

Ugggg,

No sorry, it is not "crazy" to point out, on any given subject, that just because you personally view something one way, that everyone else views it the same way.

Now in a perfect world you would be correct, but we don't live in a perfect world. In the real world people, regardless if the word "God" is on public property, or merely a song or something they sing in a church DO take those things seriously. All I said is that is is foolish to assume nobody does.

The west became more civil in spite of religion, not because of it. You certainly cannot force religion out of existence by law, no, but to claim nobody takes it seriously even when attaching it to a sport, is absurd.

Lots of people do see that song, as well as "In God We Trust" and "God" on our money as an entitlement to be front of the social pecking order, both public and private. No, not everyone does, but alot do.

I simply think it is absurd to assume nobody at all takes it seriously. I wish nobody would take religious iconography seriously, but they do. And even at something seemingly innocent as a baseball game, you will eventually run into a nut willing to beat the shit out of you because you didn't stand during that song.

People do act on their beliefs, both in public and private, and that is all I am pointing out to you.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
02-07-2016, 09:34 AM
(02-07-2016 09:07 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 08:14 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  oh dear. look what ive done.

We took a vote; everything is your fault. Tongue

funny, thats what everyone at work says too.
[+] 2 users Like Dark Wanderer's post
02-07-2016, 09:36 AM
Tell you what, next time you go to a baseball game, wear an atheists hat or T Shirt. Now maybe most wouldn't get physical with you, but a few might shout at you and some actually would threaten you. Regardless of that song. But if it does get played and you are wearing an atheist shirt, it would not surprise me if at a minimum someone would harass you verbally. Now again, that also depends on geography too. If you live in a more liberal part of the nation, sure, probably less likely. But if you attend a baseball game in a more red and religious state a verbal harassment or physical assault has a greater likelihood, even if most wouldn't.

I've personally had people try to have me fired for being an open atheist. I've had people shout at me in public for what I was wearing. I'm lucky, even in America parents will kick their kids out of the house for saying they don't believe, and atheists and Christians and gays, in the middle east have even more to fear.

But it still remains that while you personally want to believe nobody takes it seriously, that is flat out false. Even in the states you have religious people that do take it very seriously and attach that to every thing they do in their lives.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37