God Bless America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-07-2016, 09:50 AM
RE: God Bless America
(02-07-2016 09:36 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Tell you what, next time you go to a baseball game, wear an atheists hat or T Shirt. Now maybe most wouldn't get physical with you, but a few might shout at you and some actually would threaten you. Regardless of that song. But if it does get played and you are wearing an atheist shirt, it would not surprise me if at a minimum someone would harass you verbally. Now again, that also depends on geography too. If you live in a more liberal part of the nation, sure, probably less likely. But if you attend a baseball game in a more red and religious state a verbal harassment or physical assault has a greater likelihood, even if most wouldn't.

I've personally had people try to have me fired for being an open atheist. I've had people shout at me in public for what I was wearing. I'm lucky, even in America parents will kick their kids out of the house for saying they don't believe, and atheists and Christians and gays, in the middle east have even more to fear.

But it still remains that while you personally want to believe nobody takes it seriously, that is flat out false. Even in the states you have religious people that do take it very seriously and attach that to every thing they do in their lives.

You are always so damn extreme about everything. I had an evolve fish on my other car and didn't have a problem with it. I have T-shirts from TTA, never been harassed about it. I have several tattoos...now and then I notice disapproving looks from people. Several people where I work know I am an atheist. I don't make a big deal of it and neither do they.

I am in fucking TEXAS and no one is trying to beat me up over any of that.

You are either just paranoid or it's your asshole nature and generally crap attitude that makes people want to punch you in the face.

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Anjele's post
02-07-2016, 09:55 AM
(02-07-2016 09:36 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  Tell you what, next time you go to a baseball game, wear an atheists hat or T Shirt. Now maybe most wouldn't get physical with you, but a few might shout at you and some actually would threaten you. Regardless of that song. But if it does get played and you are wearing an atheist shirt, it would not surprise me if at a minimum someone would harass you verbally. Now again, that also depends on geography too. If you live in a more liberal part of the nation, sure, probably less likely. But if you attend a baseball game in a more red and religious state a verbal harassment or physical assault has a greater likelihood, even if most wouldn't.

I've personally had people try to have me fired for being an open atheist. I've had people shout at me in public for what I was wearing. I'm lucky, even in America parents will kick their kids out of the house for saying they don't believe, and atheists and Christians and gays, in the middle east have even more to fear.

But it still remains that while you personally want to believe nobody takes it seriously, that is flat out false. Even in the states you have religious people that do take it very seriously and attach that to every thing they do in their lives.

well at least that would make the evening more entertaining than watching a guy hit a ball with a stick.
[+] 1 user Likes Dark Wanderer's post
02-07-2016, 12:32 PM
(02-07-2016 09:55 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  well at least that would make the evening more entertaining than watching a guy hit a ball with a stick.

That's why, if anything, I watch MMA. Fuck baseball. Tongue

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post
02-07-2016, 01:37 PM
I've never gotten into baseball. Too slow for me. Same with soccer. Most of the time is back and forth with very little scoring. But I wasn't raised on it either. Lots of people hate the stopping and starting of football. But I like it, it is all what you grow up with and are used to.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
02-07-2016, 01:56 PM
The last baseball game I went to in 2004 they played take me out to the ballgame during the 7th inning stretch...

But that was in godless Northern California. Tongue

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 2 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
02-07-2016, 05:53 PM
(02-07-2016 07:22 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  It is why you even today, have our right wing caring more about bathrooms and protecting the firearms that murdered 49 people on top of being supported by a party that promotes the religious bigotry of the Christian right that has always hated LGBT. [...]

I like [sic] that you've managed to insert three off-topic subjects into this thread Brian—unisex bathrooms, gun control, and LGBT rights—but it might help your personal cause somewhat if you lighten up a bit. The whole world is not attacking your morals and ethics mate. We all know what your strict opinions are of gun control and ownership—there's no need to harp on it repetitively every fucking time you post a comment here in any random threads.

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
02-07-2016, 06:22 PM
(02-07-2016 09:55 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  

well at least that would make the evening more entertaining than watching a guy hit a ball with a stick.

The British should never complain about American baseball because......

[Image: 920x920.jpg]

Also the national anthem should be replaced by something people can sing without having to study opera for 10 years. This Land Is Your Land by Woody Guthrie would be better.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 2 users Like dancefortwo's post
03-07-2016, 01:22 AM
(02-07-2016 06:35 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 01:04 AM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's all well and good, but "god bless America" isn't our national anthem. Drinking Beverage

So, I think it's even more stupid.
"Star Spangled Banner" is set to an old English drinking song, so there's a certain elegance there. Tongue

It's a shame "My Country, 'tis of Thee" is set to the tune of the English national anthem ... I think it'd be a much better American national anthem than the current one.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post
03-07-2016, 05:44 AM
(03-07-2016 01:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 06:35 AM)Gawdzilla Wrote:  "Star Spangled Banner" is set to an old English drinking song, so there's a certain elegance there. Tongue

It's a shame "My Country, 'tis of Thee" is set to the tune of the English national anthem ... I think it'd be a much better American national anthem than the current one.

Or y'all could just join the Commonwealth and sing "God Save the Queen".

Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-07-2016, 05:54 AM
(02-07-2016 05:53 PM)SYZ Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 07:22 AM)Brian37 Wrote:  It is why you even today, have our right wing caring more about bathrooms and protecting the firearms that murdered 49 people on top of being supported by a party that promotes the religious bigotry of the Christian right that has always hated LGBT. [...]

I like [sic] that you've managed to insert three off-topic subjects into this thread Brian—unisex bathrooms, gun control, and LGBT rights—but it might help your personal cause somewhat if you lighten up a bit. The whole world is not attacking your morals and ethics mate. We all know what your strict opinions are of gun control and ownership—there's no need to harp on it repetitively every fucking time you post a comment here in any random threads.

It is related, maybe many people don't live and breath god or guns no, but far too many people do. Many people treat god like a cocaine addict and are willing to fight you anywhere if you say boo. Don't think so? I am dead serious, even at a baseball game, one in a red state farm league like Mississippi or Oklahoma or Texas. Go to one, wear an atheist hat, and sit during the National Anthem.

I don't know where you live, but to assume there aren't nuts obsessed with Jebus is absurd. And to say there are not nuts obsessed with guns is also absurd.

Some people mix god with everything they do in their life. Tim Fleebow also does it.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37