God Bless America

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2016, 05:59 AM
RE: God Bless America
(02-07-2016 06:22 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(02-07-2016 09:55 AM)Dark Wanderer Wrote:  well at least that would make the evening more entertaining than watching a guy hit a ball with a stick.

The British should never complain about American baseball because......

[Image: 920x920.jpg]

Also the national anthem should be replaced by something people can sing without having to study opera for 10 years. This Land Is Your Land by Woody Guthrie would be better.

Funny you should mention Woodie. Grew up hating "rednecks" because the bullies on my block were. Long since learned not every middle of the country rural liver is a dick. My friend John from Oklahoma I met 15 years ago online. He's totally into country music.

Once got stuck on TMC and a movie about Woodie was on. I forgot the name of it. But it was during the "dust bowl" I think, when the farming industry got hit really hard, and big business was exploiting the labor and Woodie was fighting them on their treatment of workers.

We need more of that today, not just in America, but worldwide.

Poetry by Brian37(poems by an atheist) Also on Facebook as BrianJames Rational Poet and Twitter Brianrrs37
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2016, 09:03 AM

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
Find all posts by this user
03-07-2016, 12:26 PM
(03-07-2016 05:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 01:22 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  It's a shame "My Country, 'tis of Thee" is set to the tune of the English national anthem ... I think it'd be a much better American national anthem than the current one.

Or y'all could just join the Commonwealth and sing "God Save the Queen".

Just sayin'. Drinking Beverage

Nevah!
03-07-2016, 01:55 PM
What I find even more delicious about this is that Irving Berlin later in life was an atheist.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
04-07-2016, 12:09 AM
(02-07-2016 09:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  You are always so damn extreme about everything. I had an evolve fish on my other car and didn't have a problem with it. I have T-shirts from TTA, never been harassed about it. I have several tattoos...now and then I notice disapproving looks from people. Several people where I work know I am an atheist. I don't make a big deal of it and neither do they.

I am in fucking TEXAS and no one is trying to beat me up over any of that.

You are either just paranoid or it's your asshole nature and generally crap attitude that makes people want to punch you in the face.

I live in Central Texas. My proximity to Austin probably leavens the local attitudes towards "weird", but at the same time there are many very religious folk down here. I live as an open atheist -- I don't shout it out, but I refuse to hide it.

Not once have I ever heard anything stronger than, "Oh, okay."

My cousin and her hubby, both in Carrollton, both atheists and open, have never had any sort of issue either.

I get that there are some believers who detest us ... but if they do, they seem pretty nervous about getting in my face about it, not for fear of a Brian37 Rant, but because they'd rather just get along. That's my own experience, at least.
[+] 1 user Likes Thumpalumpacus's post