God Cannot Tolerate Sin

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 3 Average
07-01-2014, 10:19 PM
God Cannot Tolerate Sin
I have seen or heard this argument many times lately. God can't tolerate sin so that is why he sends people to hell. My usual rebuttal is about how Jesus took on all sins after walking around a sinful world for a few decades. I also mention how their book says that God handed Adam and Eve clothing in person immediately after they sinned. I think that is an absurd justification as to why their immoral god does the ultimate immoral act by punishing people forever, whether they committed an actual sin or they were just born. Lately, many Christians have failed to mention that people can go to hell just for being born because of original sin. The point of my post is to see what other arguments there are against this whole god can't tolerate sin thing and what some of the more informed responses against it, may be. I appreciate anyone who may take the time to read and respond to this post. Thanks.
-Walter

[Image: banner580x90_zpse43f1abd.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cobalt's post
08-01-2014, 07:41 AM
RE: God Cannot Tolerate Sin
Most Christians I've talked to on the matter use free will as a defense against the problem of evil, citing it as necessary for God to allow us to make our own decisions because of [reasons]. So, in their view, God quite explicitly tolerates sin. Because of [reasons].

Now, it's possible that someone who believes God can't tolerate sin doesn't actually use free will to reconcile theodicy, but those other defenses tend to get even more sketchy and/or creepy.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
08-01-2014, 01:58 PM
My response to this claim would be:

An omnipotent god cannot...?

"Religion has caused more misery to all of mankind in every stage of human history than any other single idea." --Madalyn Murray O'Hair
[+] 5 users Like Impulse's post
08-01-2014, 02:05 PM (This post was last modified: 08-01-2014 02:12 PM by kingschosen.)
No where in the Bible does it state this. That conclusion is not Biblical nor accurate. Ask the said Christian to quote the verse that they are getting that information. I'm sure they are ignorant of any such verse and are just parroting what they learned in Bible School.

The closest verse to that line of thought is Habakkuk 1:13 -

Your eyes are too pure to approve evil,
And You can not look on wickedness with favor.
Why do You look with favor
On those who deal treacherously?
Why are You silent when the wicked swallow up
Those more righteous than they?

...and obviously you can see that it says nothing about God not being able to tolerate sin.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
08-01-2014, 02:29 PM
(08-01-2014 07:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Now, it's possible that someone who believes God can't tolerate sin doesn't actually use free will to reconcile theodicy, but those other defenses tend to get even more sketchy and/or creepy.

For me, dealing with the free will argument is frustrating enough. I'm not sure that I would be informed enough to dispatch anything creepier than that yet. I just wish the whole thing would go away so people really could have free will.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Smile

08-01-2014, 02:33 PM
(08-01-2014 01:58 PM)Impulse Wrote:  My response to this claim would be:

An omnipotent god cannot...?

You got it! That's about my speed right there. Four little words that I can easily add to my debate arsenal. I appreciate the response.

Thank You

Bowing

[+] 1 user Likes Cobalt's post
08-01-2014, 02:35 PM
(08-01-2014 07:41 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  Most Christians I've talked to on the matter use free will as a defense against the problem of evil, citing it as necessary for God to allow us to make our own decisions because of [reasons]. So, in their view, God quite explicitly tolerates sin. Because of [reasons].

Now, it's possible that someone who believes God can't tolerate sin doesn't actually use free will to reconcile theodicy, but those other defenses tend to get even more sketchy and/or creepy.

...and then I ask Arminians how God can be omnipotent if He is subjugated to our whims.

It's always fun to hear what they say.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
08-01-2014, 02:55 PM
(08-01-2014 02:05 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  No where in the Bible does it state this. That conclusion is not Biblical nor accurate. Ask the said Christian to quote the verse that they are getting that information. I'm sure they are ignorant of any such verse and are just parroting what they learned in Bible School.

Heck, I think I may have parroted that and many other catch-phrases back in my Kinda-Christian days. It is quite amazing how during that time I said things without really thinking them through. It's actually intellectually lazy, if not dishonest.

I feel more confidence in the things I say now because I have started to investigate what I mean before I say it. I made sure I knew very well what atheist meant before I started saying an atheist means to not believe in a god. That phrase can be parroted too, and I don't want to just do that anymore. I got a little self-esteem boost when I stopped doing that too probably because I feel like I actually understand the things that I am saying.

Thank you for the reply.
Smile

08-01-2014, 06:54 PM
(08-01-2014 02:29 PM)Cobalt Wrote:  For me, dealing with the free will argument is frustrating enough. I'm not sure that I would be informed enough to dispatch anything creepier than that yet. I just wish the whole thing would go away so people really could have free will.

Thanks for responding to my post.

Smile

Well, Kingschosesn is our resident Calvinist. He doesn't believe in free will and believes that God chooses ahead of time who is saved and who isn't. I'll give him props for logical consistence regarding free will and omnipotence, but your average non-Calvinist tends to find this approach unsettling.

You're welcome, by the way.

(08-01-2014 02:35 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  ...and then I ask Arminians how God can be omnipotent if He is subjugated to our whims.

It's always fun to hear what they say.

I bet.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
08-01-2014, 07:01 PM
I can't even give you my opinion on a rebuttal...wish I could, but it is so hard to argue with stupid.

I'm pretty sure if someone told me god could not tolerate being in evil's presence I would probably just scrunch up my face and then face my palms up like "WTF?"

I don't even know why kind of logic to use with remarks like thatBlink
[+] 1 user Likes crazylikeyou's post