God Creates Expendables

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-04-2014, 12:09 AM
God Creates Expendables
If we are all God's children, as Christians claim, then why is it that two-thirds of the world's population is not Christian? There are billions of people who are not raised in Christianity, and many who will never be exposed to Christianity. So what's the deal with those people? If Christianity is the one true faith why are only a certain number of people raised Christians? After all, this is God - an omnipotent, infallible deity - and supposedly we are all his children. He obviously knew where these people would be born and what they would be brought up to believe in. If Christianity is the one true faith and billions of people are not Christians, then that means that God creates expendables: "God created you, you're just not one of the special ones."

You'll hear Christians saying "Well, I think that Christianity is the one true faith, but I'm not saying that I'm more special than anyone else."

Umm...yeah, you are. When you claim that your faith is correct and all others are wrong and that those who do not worship your god are doomed, then yes, you are saying that you are more special than others. Yeah, you didn't use those exact words, but it is implied by what you said. It's like somebody saying "I'm not a racist. I just think that Black people don't possess the intellect that White people do."

You can't tell me that your faith is right and that people need to acknowledge your god as the one and only true god, and then turn around and tell me that you're not saying that you're special. It's incredibly arrogant and one of the reasons why I walked away from religion - because I truly believe that I'm not better than anybody else. I was disgusted at the idea that a genuinely kind person that is Hindu or Buddhist is doomed to burn in hell because of the fact that they don't worship the Christian god.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like WindyCityJazz's post
04-04-2014, 12:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 04:10 AM by Dee.)
RE: God Creates Expendables
The one and only true God idea and the fate of the rest of the world's population (in hell of course) were two of the greatest issues that constantly challenged my beliefs as a Christian. My problem with this simply never went away, throughout my entire Christian experience.

These two particular issues were also two of the of the greatest reasons I left Christianity, and then in stages I began rationalizing my belief in the existence of God, and then belief in any god.

Moreover, I remained a haunted Christian because of so many disturbing and unanswered questions that I had internalized and sought peace for through faith. There was no real peace. I could only blank out and temporarily numb myself.

In every way that I can think of, the use of faith simply silences Christians--very sad--and likely creating a pathology by internalizing conflict and then trying to reconcile through an irrational system--faith.

"If you want a happy ending, that depends, of course, on where you stop your story." Orson Welles
04-04-2014, 05:49 AM (This post was last modified: 04-04-2014 05:55 AM by RobbyPants.)
(04-04-2014 12:09 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  If we are all God's children, as Christians claim, then why is it that two-thirds of the world's population is not Christian? There are billions of people who are not raised in Christianity, and many who will never be exposed to Christianity. So what's the deal with those people? If Christianity is the one true faith why are only a certain number of people raised Christians? After all, this is God - an omnipotent, infallible deity - and supposedly we are all his children. He obviously knew where these people would be born and what they would be brought up to believe in. If Christianity is the one true faith and billions of people are not Christians, then that means that God creates expendables: "God created you, you're just not one of the special ones."

I remember acknowledging this as a Christian back in college. It did trouble me that the place where a person is born seems to be far more indicative of their religious beliefs than the power of the Holy Spirit. The major component seemed to be obviously a human process.

(04-04-2014 12:09 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  You'll hear Christians saying "Well, I think that Christianity is the one true faith, but I'm not saying that I'm more special than anyone else."

Umm...yeah, you are. When you claim that your faith is correct and all others are wrong and that those who do not worship your god are doomed, then yes, you are saying that you are more special than others. Yeah, you didn't use those exact words, but it is implied by what you said. It's like somebody saying "I'm not a racist. I just think that Black people don't possess the intellect that White people do."

Yeah, back in college I remember thinking how I was lucky to be born in a country that worships the "correct" god. I used to believe that God would somehow "reveal" himself to everyone, so everyone had a chance at heaven. It was incredibly stupid and insensitive of me, and was obviously something I was making up to make myself feel better. Even if it were true, you can't compare a Christian raised in a Christian country accepting God to a Muslim raised in a Muslim country where apostasy is a capital offense having God "revealed" to him.

My wife has a different take on this, although, I got her to admit she still feels she's more "correct" than she thought she was. Her stance is that everyone goes to heaven, and the other religions are just other people's interpretations of the one true religion. She maintains it's not an issue of "correctness". I asked her if she simultaneously believed that Jesus is the son of God who died for our sins and Jesus was not the son of God and was a prophet, but not as great a prophet as Mohamed. She admitted that she did consider her Christian beliefs to be more "correct" than Islamic beliefs.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
04-04-2014, 07:30 AM
This reminds me of something.
If you're a moderate christian, and you believe evolution and the big bang, what happened before there was the bible? Before man was created?

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 1 user Likes Alex_Leonardo's post
04-04-2014, 07:49 AM
(04-04-2014 07:30 AM)Alex_Leonardo Wrote:  This reminds me of something.
If you're a moderate christian, and you believe evolution and the big bang, what happened before there was the bible? Before man was created?

This:

[Image: 20080514.gif]

Although, even as a literal Christian, the chronology of the Bible is pretty confusing. The Jews were never given explicit commandments for how to behave until Exodus, yet they were judged and murdered for their failure numerous times in Genesis. There are a lot of "what happened before?"s in the Bible.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
04-04-2014, 05:51 PM
(04-04-2014 05:49 AM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(04-04-2014 12:09 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  If we are all God's children, as Christians claim, then why is it that two-thirds of the world's population is not Christian? There are billions of people who are not raised in Christianity, and many who will never be exposed to Christianity. So what's the deal with those people? If Christianity is the one true faith why are only a certain number of people raised Christians? After all, this is God - an omnipotent, infallible deity - and supposedly we are all his children. He obviously knew where these people would be born and what they would be brought up to believe in. If Christianity is the one true faith and billions of people are not Christians, then that means that God creates expendables: "God created you, you're just not one of the special ones."

I remember acknowledging this as a Christian back in college. It did trouble me that the place where a person is born seems to be far more indicative of their religious beliefs than the power of the Holy Spirit. The major component seemed to be obviously a human process.

(04-04-2014 12:09 AM)WindyCityJazz Wrote:  You'll hear Christians saying "Well, I think that Christianity is the one true faith, but I'm not saying that I'm more special than anyone else."

Yeah, back in college I remember thinking how I was lucky to be born in a country that worships the "correct" god. I used to believe that God would somehow "reveal" himself to everyone, so everyone had a chance at heaven. It was incredibly stupid and insensitive of me, and was obviously something I was making up to make myself feel better. Even if it were true, you can't compare a Christian raised in a Christian country accepting God to a Muslim raised in a Muslim country where apostasy is a capital offense having God "revealed" to him.

My wife has a different take on this, although, I got her to admit she still feels she's more "correct" than she thought she was. Her stance is that everyone goes to heaven, and the other religions are just other people's interpretations of the one true religion. She maintains it's not an issue of "correctness". I asked her if she simultaneously believed that Jesus is the son of God who died for our sins and Jesus was not the son of God and was a prophet, but not as great a prophet as Mohamed. She admitted that she did consider her Christian beliefs to be more "correct" than Islamic beliefs.

Luckily, I didn't grow up in a highly religious family. I believed, but never gave it much thought. As I got older and really thought about the attitudes of religion and started questioning my religion, I found myself getting really angry about the way people looked at others who did not share their beliefs. The more I looked into the Bible, and the more I looked at the behaviors and attitudes of religious people around me, the more disgusted I got. It got to the point where I realized it was going completely against my morals on how people should treat one another, and I couldn't support something like that. I couldn't support the idea that friends of mine who were of different faiths were lower than me simply because they weren't Christians. It was actually a relief for me when I walked away from religion.

“Religion was invented when the first con man met the first fool.” - Mark Twain