God Exists: An Open Debate

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2012, 03:02 AM
RE: God Exists: An Open Debate
I really like Egor's position, although I disagree with it completely.

It brings into question the nature of reality. Whether it is a product of a simulation either from a mind, your mind, or some kind of machine like a computer.

So what Egor might be doing is taking a swing at the weakest points of materialism, but for all the time I've been familiar with him on this forum, he seems to be testing the ideas. Allowing us to take them apart to try and find something that can be god, and make sense.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes fstratzero's post
22-10-2012, 04:11 PM

(21-10-2012 08:27 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:19 PM)Egor Wrote:  How do you manage to write with such an effeminate lisp?

Ah, reduced you to insults. Excellent. I win, you lose.

That's how you win? By reducing me to insulting you?

The trophy is all yours. Laughat
Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2012, 04:14 PM

(21-10-2012 08:46 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Don't you think you should subsidise T.T.A. for helping you with ideas for your ghost stories, while at times insulting its members in the process?

Can a person donate? I would definitely donate if I knew how.
22-10-2012, 04:17 PM

(21-10-2012 08:58 PM)Phaedrus Wrote:  You can call yourself that, but as long as you call atheism a religion, I'm going to call you a pantheist, mkay?

Call me whatever you want. I was just trying to correct your ignorance,Hobo but then I'm always chasing dreams.

(21-10-2012 09:12 PM)Vosur Wrote:  I don't think he owes us anything.

Thank you, Vosur. But if there was a way to be a paying member, I'd like to do that.
22-10-2012, 04:19 PM

(22-10-2012 03:02 AM)fstratzero Wrote:  I really like Egor's position, although I disagree with it completely.

It brings into question the nature of reality. Whether it is a product of a simulation either from a mind, your mind, or some kind of machine like a computer.

So what Egor might be doing is taking a swing at the weakest points of materialism, but for all the time I've been familiar with him on this forum, he seems to be testing the ideas. Allowing us to take them apart to try and find something that can be god, and make sense.

Thanks you, Fstratzero. That's exactly right. Thumbsup
22-10-2012, 04:54 PM
(22-10-2012 04:14 PM)Egor Wrote:  
(21-10-2012 08:46 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Don't you think you should subsidise T.T.A. for helping you with ideas for your ghost stories, while at times insulting its members in the process?

Can a person donate? I would definitely donate if I knew how.

Go to Thethinkingatheist.com main page. We gratefully accept donations.

If you do make a donation, be sure to send me a message with the email you used to donate. Then I can acknowledge your donation accordingly.

You have just begun reading the sentence you have just finished reading.
22-10-2012, 04:56 PM
(22-10-2012 04:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  If you do make a donation, be sure to send me a message with the email you used to donate. Then I can acknowledge your donation accordingly.

You'll host a baby-roast? Drooling

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
22-10-2012, 05:08 PM
(22-10-2012 04:17 PM)Egor Wrote:  Thank you, Vosur. But if there was a way to be a paying member, I'd like to do that.
As far as I know, The Thinking Atheist accepts donations, if that's what you were talking about.

Edit: Stark beat me to it. Oh well.
22-10-2012, 06:03 PM
Egor, do you have a response to my take on paramecium "memory" and consciousness?

I would like to point out that the authors of the study you like conducted a second study and did not observe the same things, so this might not actually be a real phenomenon at all, but if it is I think my point about chemical reactions involving proteins being able to perform actions fundamentally similar to simple transistor-based logic, and transistor logic is capable of exhibiting memory and "decision-making" behavior with as few as ten transistors, and can exhibit very complex behavior given a few dozens of transistors to work with. I'm not talking microprocessor level complexity.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
22-10-2012, 06:05 PM
(22-10-2012 04:54 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  
(22-10-2012 04:14 PM)Egor Wrote:  Can a person donate? I would definitely donate if I knew how.

Go to Thethinkingatheist.com main page. We gratefully accept donations.

If you do make a donation, be sure to send me a message with the email you used to donate. Then I can acknowledge your donation accordingly.

Does buying something from the TTA Online store still count? I think Egor should get a cool TTA Coffee Mug or T-shirt. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My