God Exists

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-02-2012, 07:15 PM
RE: God Exists
(22-02-2012 01:15 PM)Denicio Wrote:  
(21-02-2012 04:28 PM)Egor Wrote:  and I know that atheists in the scientific community want there to be no God, so they make up theories--any theory--that doesn't require a God

Egor...come out and play.....Egor...come out and play.... whats a matter big guy? Did your fingers write a check that your ASS cant cash???

WHO are these atheists in the Scientific community? Please show us where they clearly stated 'they want there to be NO god'.

Interviews, books that they authored, blog posts where they are clearly the poster....just have to see an atheist claiming this.

WHO are these Atheist Scientists you claim said this? Please share with us the direct quotes. And what are these "Any Theories" they pull out of thier ass to use as a way to replace god?

DO you have an answer to this? OR are you, yet again, just making this shit up?

The forum is awaiting your thoughtful and insightful answers.

D

Egor,

Is there a reason you refuse to answer this? Is it because you refuse to answer Denicio, or that the question is not worth answering? If I was to ask, would you answer? Would you answer anyone who asked this?

Seriously, I'd like to hear who these scientists are, and what theories they have made up. Can you back this up, or is it the same as most of the other things you say; assertions based on what you want to believe instead of based on facts?

So many cats, so few good recipes.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
22-02-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm not gonna lie - I definitely don't want there to be a god.

I don't want to live under a being that created me with flaws then threatens me with eternal punishment for his mistakes. I don't want to have to drag myself out of bed every Sunday morning and drive to church when I could be fixing myself a nice omelet. I don't want to have to tell all my wrongdoings to a random priest. I don't want to have to do the mental gymnastics required to reconcile contradictions or absurdities in scripture. I don't want to have to believe that people I love are going to hell.

Luckily for me, there's no evidence that a god does exist. Big Grin

Was there bias in my decision to change my mind? Of course; there's bias in ever human decision. I can honestly say that I did my best to minimize that bias, and that's the most any human can say of any decision.
[+] 2 users Like Ben's post
22-02-2012, 10:02 PM
Don't let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya! Sleepy

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 2 users Like aurora's post
22-02-2012, 10:37 PM
(22-02-2012 10:02 PM)aurora2020 Wrote:  Don't let the door knob hit ya where the good lord split ya! Sleepy

Why not? Sometimes that can feel pretty good?

[Image: akward.gif]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
23-02-2012, 12:25 AM

(22-02-2012 01:07 PM)LostLocke Wrote:  
(22-02-2012 12:55 PM)Egor Wrote:  But I’ve had some really important prayers answered. I have had some really major things resolved after praying about them. You can site whatever NYT article you want, but that fact is not going to change. And again, you asked why I believe. You didn’t stipulate that I could only say the things that would also make you believe. Maybe God won’t answer your prayers. Maybe you’re condemned to atheism. Judas was created to be condemned. Maybe you were, too. If that is the case, you would never see prayer working, would you?
The problem here is that you're using the...
Event A occurs
Event B occurs at the same relative time
Therefore, Event A and Event B must be linked somehow
... equation.

I sneezed on 9/11/01
The Twin Towers fell on 9/11/01
Therefore, my sneezing caused the Twin Towers to fall.

Unless your hypothesis is testable, repeatable, and predictable, it's nothing but conjecture and guesswork on your part.

Perhaps, but that doesn’t mean it wasn’t answered prayer. Everything you said above is 100% accurate. But that doesn’t really matter, does it? It matters only if I am trying to prove to you that God exists. But this was related to a question about why I believed God exists. And for everything you’ve said, you will admit that you don’t know what the circumstances are, and you weren’t there. Right?

(22-02-2012 01:15 PM)Denicio Wrote:  WHO are these Atheist Scientists you claim said this? Please share with us the direct quotes. And what are these "Any Theories" they pull out of thier ass to use as a way to replace god?

Denicio, it was hyperbole.

(22-02-2012 05:04 PM)kingschosen Wrote:  Egor, if it walks like a duck and quacks likes a duck, it's probably a duck.

You can call it whatever you want to call it, but it's still pantheism.

Okay, so even though I’ve explained it to you, even though I’ve shown you the definitions from the most accepted dictionary in the United States, you are going to call it pantheism.
Well of course you are. You’re a Christian and an atheist.

(22-02-2012 06:47 PM)TheSixthGlass Wrote:  Our brains are fueled by a steady stream of chemicals and hormones, and as I mentioned before, are very susceptible to a plethora of glitches, problems, and false perceptions. Our personal experiences are constantly clouded and manipulated by things like personal biases, confirmation bias, false or tweaked memories, and made-up input, amongst other things. Our sight and other senses are easily deceived. We can hear things that aren't there (or the reverse: not hear things when we are distracted.) We see things that aren't there, or again the reverse: miss things that are right in front of us.

The way we can do something about this, and fight against it, is by using the scientific method to examine reality and determine what is real. The scientific method is the best tool we've come up with for figuring out what is true and what isn't.

I agree. Completely. All I’m asking is what is it that is being fooled by all these problems with the brain and mind? It’s a simple question. Of course the implications of the answer are staggering, but it’s a simple enough question.

(22-02-2012 07:15 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Is there a reason you refuse to answer this? Is it because you refuse to answer Denicio, or that the question is not worth answering? If I was to ask, would you answer? Would you answer anyone who asked this?

Both. Denicio is downright weird about me, and the question is stupid. In fact, it just made me think of a song I want to put on my iTunes right now, “What’s the Frequency, Kenneth” by R.E.M. In fact, I’m listening to it now and thinking about Denicio. I guess you could say it’s our song. If you don’t know the history of that song, just click here.

Quote:Seriously, I'd like to hear who these scientists are, and what theories they have made up. Can you back this up, or is it the same as most of the other things you say; assertions based on what you want to believe instead of based on facts?

It was hyperbole. I have no idea who they might be. Relax.

(22-02-2012 07:53 PM)Ben Wrote:  I'm not gonna lie - I definitely don't want there to be a god.

I don't want to live under a being that created me with flaws then threatens me with eternal punishment for his mistakes. I don't want to have to drag myself out of bed every Sunday morning and drive to church when I could be fixing myself a nice omelet. I don't want to have to tell all my wrongdoings to a random priest. I don't want to have to do the mental gymnastics required to reconcile contradictions or absurdities in scripture. I don't want to have to believe that people I love are going to hell.

Luckily for me, there's no evidence that a god does exist. Big Grin

Was there bias in my decision to change my mind? Of course; there's bias in ever human decision. I can honestly say that I did my best to minimize that bias, and that's the most any human can say of any decision.

Hey man, at least you’re honest about it. I don’t think God is the way you envision Him to be, but I can respect your reasoning. If you die denying Christ, you’re still going to roast in hell, but I hear what you’re saying, five-by-five.
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Egor's post
23-02-2012, 12:41 AM
(21-02-2012 09:38 AM)Egor Wrote:  Excuse me. Are you saying the past exists? Where? We don’t need experts or peer reviewed papers and we don’t need to debate what a clock is really doing. What we need to come to an understanding of is the past. You say it exists in reality—where?

I can't believe nobody has called you on your flawed concept of time. Are you saying that time doesn't exist because it can't be seen? Because you don't know where it is physically? The mere fact that I am responding to your post is proof. Your post HAD to occur BEFORE this one for this one to exist. Time is simply the sequential occurrences of events. Or more specifically, the is becoming the was, the now becoming the then. Your post and my post didn't occur simultaneously, or I would have no pre-existing text to expound on. Likewise, you will read what I am saying right NOW at this very moment, and subsequentially react to it at a point later than now.

And if all this isn't doing it for you, TIME CAN BE SCIENTIFICALLY MEASURED.

Time = Distance/Velocity (Speed)

So an object travelling 10 miles at 2 mph will take 5 hours. Whether you want to acknowledge it or not, Time is a term that exists scientifically, not just philosophically.

"Ain't got no last words to say, yellow streak right up my spine. The gun in my mouth was real and the taste blew my mind."

"We see you cry. We turn your head. Then we slap your face. We see you try. We see you fail. Some things never change."
23-02-2012, 01:10 AM
23-02-2012, 01:12 AM
At the very best all you are essentially adopting is the Deist position whereby God is seen as the Prime Mover.

O.k. I have no quibbles about an intial condition leading to evolutionary expansion, and if you wish to add a heap of pseudo spiritual comnnotations then perhaps you are best described as a pseudo (regressive?) Deist.

Mongerel breeds are rampant within Christendom.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
23-02-2012, 01:23 AM
(23-02-2012 12:25 AM)Egor Wrote:  You’re a Christian and an atheist.

Derp.
[+] 1 user Likes rook2004's post
23-02-2012, 01:59 AM
(22-02-2012 12:55 PM)Egor Wrote:  
Starcrash Wrote:Just assertions again. But let me shoot them down anyway.

How fucking immature can you be? Or is it desperation? At any rate, have at it. Maybe you can make me an atheist.

Come on, now. I may attack your arguments (even viciously) but I haven't attacked you. I don't do that to my opponents, because even as an atheist I live by the golden rule.

By assertion, I mean the dictionary definition of "a postive statement or declaration". I know you're not fond of checking out my citations because you have limited time and don't want to spend all kinds of it just making sure that I'm not making shit up. But that's just part of reasonable debate. I can't just make statements with confidence and expect you to just accept them as true for the fact that I believe they're true. That's just gullible --- it's how con artists take advantage of people: by acting confident.

I keep accusing you of assertions, and it's because you're making arguments that have to be assumed true but aren't grounded on testable evidence. It doesn't matter how deeply you believe them or with how much conviction or faith --- I just don't care. It has to make logical sense, and it can't just be based on presumptions that "aren't in evidence" --- things that haven't yet been proven.

I'm glad you took the time to debate with me, but I think I've said all that I have to say. You don't expect me to find your own reasons for faith compelling, and you don't care for mine, so I agree with you that we've reached an impasse.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post