God Father?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-09-2013, 04:56 PM
God Father?
Hey. Its been a while since I've posted. How is everyone? Not sure if this is the right section but here goes. I was asked to be a god father. If I accept does that make me a hypocrite? And why or why not?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-09-2013, 05:00 PM
RE: God Father?
It depends on the parents. If they take the role seriously on a religious level, DEFINITELY decline. It is a role as a religious mentor. You will be expected to teach the gospel as truth. If they consider it purely ceremonial and just a social connection with you, it's your call. Personally, if it's social, I'd consider it a compliment. Good luck.

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
19-09-2013, 05:01 PM
(19-09-2013 04:56 PM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  Hey. Its been a while since I've posted. How is everyone? Not sure if this is the right section but here goes. I was asked to be a god father. If I accept does that make me a hypocrite? And why or why not?

Is this like the full blown catholic in church service thing or the watered down secular one?

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
19-09-2013, 05:26 PM (This post was last modified: 19-09-2013 05:29 PM by absols.)
it makes u evil, bc any is in truth first so never anyone is to mean anything openly

it is bc of opposites and very evil ends that we are forced now to say what we know, so knowing that obviously we dont know anything

at the instant u might say smthg infinite superiority is already objective about it which u would never know

anyone is its own present free positive fact, himself existence consciously which could b right so superior value to everything else presence, when u r right then anything about u is the superior positive u r, what u alone is true constantly about
but mostly, u subjectively is all value to urself and it is very normal and right
it is up to u to mean what is superior or right while it is upon urself that it would b present

the problem is what everyone refuse to assume its freedom and individuality

so meaning being a father is a lie
and meaning god is evil

existence is never of one source

truth conception is the reason of existence, so what each individual conscious must do alone to realize any objective existence being present including itself fact
19-09-2013, 05:30 PM
(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  it makes u evil, bc any is in truth first so never anyone is to mean anything openly

it is bc of opposites and very evil ends that we are forced now to say what we know, so knowing that obviously we dont know anything

at the instant u might say smthg infinite superiority is already objective about it which u would never know

anyone is its own present free positive fact, himself existence consciously which could b right so superior value to everything else presence, when u r right then anything about u is the superior positive u r, what u alone is true constantly about
but mostly, u subjectively is all value to urself and it is very normal and right
it is up to u to mean what is superior or right while it is upon urself that it would b present

and meaning god is evil

truth conception is the reason of existence, so what each individual conscious must do alone to realize any objective existence being present including itself fact

Ignore this one it is a bot. An amusing bot but a bot nonetheless.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
19-09-2013, 05:34 PM
(19-09-2013 05:30 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  
(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  it makes u evil, bc any is in truth first so never anyone is to mean anything openly

and meaning god is evil

Ignore this one it is a bot. An amusing bot but a bot nonetheless.

That's not the 'bot you are looking for.

You can go about your business.

Move along.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
19-09-2013, 06:04 PM
I think I can translate some of this:
"It is wrong because it's important open and honest about yourself."

(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  it is bc of opposites and very evil ends that we are forced now to say what we know, so knowing that obviously we dont know anything
"It is wrong and contradictory to pretend to "know" something we don't believe and cannot know because we feel pressured to."

(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  at the instant u might say smthg infinite superiority is already objective about it which u would never know
"The moment you claim something is infinitely superior it is automatically unknowable."

(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  anyone is its own present free positive fact, himself existence consciously which could b right so superior value to everything else presence, when u r right then anything about u is the superior positive u r, what u alone is true constantly about
"You are a free being, and you should value your consciousness above all. When you are true to yourself it is the best thing you can do."

(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  but mostly, u subjectively is all value to urself and it is very normal and right
"Values are subjective, you have to decide what is right for you."

(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  the problem is what everyone refuse to assume its freedom and individuality
Something about free will?????

(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  so meaning being a father is a lie
and meaning god is evil
I'm lost here too. Sorry.

(19-09-2013 05:26 PM)absols Wrote:  existence is never of one source
"There is no "one right way to be."

[quote='absols' pid='381312' dateline='1379633164']truth conception is the reason of existence, so what each individual conscious must do alone to realize any objective existence being present including itself fact
[/quote]"Discovering the truth is why we exist. It is up to you to be concious and discover who you are."

I could be off base. But, I actually think that's what he said.Blink

You can lead a theist to reason, but, you cannot make him think.
19-09-2013, 06:33 PM
I was asked to be a godfather by another atheist who is married to a somewhat practicing Catholic. She knew I wasn't a believer; the deciding factor was that I have experience raising kids. Therefore, they wanted someone who could raise a child more than they wanted someone who would instill her with Christian values. I considered it an honor. Although, I will say that I did NOT like the ceremony. I had to pretend like I was catholic. You have to read stuff out of a booklet and say "Amen" at the end of every passage. Both my friend and I felt dirty afterwards. I told him that I thought "nut sack" to myself every time I said Amen in order to make them insincere. The christening was on Mother's day, so I put up with it for the benefit of my friend's wife. Besides, I'm now the proud god father of this little cutie:

[Image: e56s.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
19-09-2013, 06:55 PM
(19-09-2013 05:00 PM)NoSkyDaddy Wrote:  It depends on the parents. If they take the role seriously on a religious level, DEFINITELY decline. It is a role as a religious mentor. You will be expected to teach the gospel as truth. If they consider it purely ceremonial and just a social connection with you, it's your call. Personally, if it's social, I'd consider it a compliment. Good luck.
They are believers but thay are not hardcore. It does seem to be mostly ceremonial.
Thank you all (yes, you all) for the replies.
19-09-2013, 07:33 PM
My atheist brother is my atheist daughters godfather.....and she calls him "godfather". Go figure.

So many cats, so few good recipes.