God Friended Me?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2018, 08:56 AM
God Friended Me?
I'm not dead. I Bet you weren't expecting me to post today, just been on a hiatus, it's been over a year since I logged in. I just been focusing on other things in life.

Anyways, I really wanted to talk about this and what an awesome place for this discussion.

So this is a new dramedy for CBS that showcases a outspoken atheist who gets a friend request from God (like...seriously?) and starts going good things and honestly, I'm shocked they would make a show like this. Of course it's okay to make fun of atheists but not Christians or whatever other 5,000 religions there are. I'm sure they'll make this character who is an atheist look like an asshole. Which is so false. That's what really bugs me. The show will make us atheist look horrible. It's another one of those "you can't be good without god" things.

Could you imagine if it they made a show about atheists and how we ACTUALLY are? It would offend all the religious people. You can't have that.

I know it's a bit early to judge it but from reading the synopsis, I can already tell which way it's going to go.

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man to fish and he will eat for a lifetime; give a man religion and he will die praying for a fish.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like nerwin's post
17-05-2018, 10:53 AM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2018 10:57 AM by Thoreauvian.)
RE: God Friended Me?
I watched the preview on YouTube. It doesn't look so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXHj33V9RA

Sure, it's packed with all the "supernatural coincidences" which many writers love. (The problem, of course, is that such coincidences don't happen like that in real life.) But it doesn't make the atheist protagonist look stupid.

I would love to see a major network tackle what atheists really think in some drama. There should be a market for it, just like there's a market for showing that skeptics are wrong in popular fictions.
17-05-2018, 11:48 AM
(17-05-2018 10:53 AM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I watched the preview on YouTube. It doesn't look so bad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6DXHj33V9RA

Sure, it's packed with all the "supernatural coincidences" which many writers love. (The problem, of course, is that such coincidences don't happen like that in real life.) But it doesn't make the atheist protagonist look stupid.

I would love to see a major network tackle what atheists really think in some drama. There should be a market for it, just like there's a market for showing that skeptics are wrong in popular fictions.

I don't trust anything that CBS does.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2018, 02:40 PM (This post was last modified: 17-05-2018 02:44 PM by Thoreauvian.)
(17-05-2018 08:56 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Could you imagine if it they made a show about atheists and how we ACTUALLY are? It would offend all the religious people. You can't have that.

I should add that it's been my pet peeve for a while now that skeptical people of any kind are so often shown to be incorrect in fictions -- whether in books, movies, or TV shows. Think of all the times we've seen that there really are ghosts, dragons, psychic abilities, demons, a God, angels, aliens, or whatever. That's good for entertaining "what-if" scenarios, certainly, but I think it does tend to warp people's thinking beyond a point.

About the only stories I can think of off-hand in which the skeptic is shown to be correct are in Sherlock Holmes-type murder mysteries, where some apparently supernatural element is thrown in as a red herring.
[+] 2 users Like Thoreauvian's post
17-05-2018, 02:57 PM
(17-05-2018 02:40 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  
(17-05-2018 08:56 AM)nerwin Wrote:  Could you imagine if it they made a show about atheists and how we ACTUALLY are? It would offend all the religious people. You can't have that.

I should add that it's been my pet peeve for a while now that skeptical people of any kind are so often shown to be incorrect in fictions -- whether in books, movies, or TV shows. Think of all the times we've seen that there really are ghosts, dragons, psychic abilities, demons, a God, angels, aliens, or whatever. That's good for entertaining "what-if" scenarios, certainly, but I think it does tend to warp people's thinking beyond a point.

About the only stories I can think of off-hand in which the skeptic is shown to be correct are in Sherlock Holmes-type murder mysteries, where some apparently supernatural element is thrown in as a red herring.

That's why I stopped watching (on Netflix) that show Bones. Sure the boyfriend or whatever was a catholic and she was supposed to be an atheist but there were a couple times where the analytical "bones" seemed to accept a supernatural cause. Sure, it was like a creepy halloween episode, but still to do they have to give the impression that psychics can speak to ghosts?

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
17-05-2018, 03:09 PM
(17-05-2018 02:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  
(17-05-2018 02:40 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I should add that it's been my pet peeve for a while now that skeptical people of any kind are so often shown to be incorrect in fictions -- whether in books, movies, or TV shows. Think of all the times we've seen that there really are ghosts, dragons, psychic abilities, demons, a God, angels, aliens, or whatever. That's good for entertaining "what-if" scenarios, certainly, but I think it does tend to warp people's thinking beyond a point.

That's why I stopped watching (on Netflix) that show Bones. Sure the boyfriend or whatever was a catholic and she was supposed to be an atheist but there were a couple times where the analytical "bones" seemed to accept a supernatural cause. Sure, it was like a creepy halloween episode, but still to do they have to give the impression that psychics can speak to ghosts?

Should watch House if you haven't seen it

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 2 users Like JDog554's post
17-05-2018, 03:24 PM
(17-05-2018 03:09 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-05-2018 02:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's why I stopped watching (on Netflix) that show Bones. Sure the boyfriend or whatever was a catholic and she was supposed to be an atheist but there were a couple times where the analytical "bones" seemed to accept a supernatural cause. Sure, it was like a creepy halloween episode, but still to do they have to give the impression that psychics can speak to ghosts?

The dude' s an astheist AND he rides a Triumph.

What' s not to love??

Cool

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 2 users Like onlinebiker's post
17-05-2018, 03:47 PM
(17-05-2018 02:40 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  

I think it may be an attempt to do another comedy like the new Roseanne - one that names all the discord and brings it out into the open. One where they eventually always agree to disagree. I haven't seen the new Roseanne and so have no opinion on it, but the general idea to present clashing segments of society in a comedy isn't new - Archie Bunker comes to mind.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
17-05-2018, 04:14 PM
(17-05-2018 03:47 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(17-05-2018 02:40 PM)Thoreauvian Wrote:  I should add that it's been my pet peeve for a while now that skeptical people of any kind are so often shown to be incorrect in fictions -- whether in books, movies, or TV shows. Think of all the times we've seen that there really are ghosts, dragons, psychic abilities, demons, a God, angels, aliens, or whatever. That's good for entertaining "what-if" scenarios, certainly, but I think it does tend to warp people's thinking beyond a point.

I think it may be an attempt to do another comedy like the new Roseanne - one that names all the discord and brings it out into the open. One where they eventually always agree to disagree. I haven't seen the new Roseanne and so have no opinion on it, but the general idea to present clashing segments of society in a comedy isn't new - Archie Bunker comes to mind.

All in The Family wasn't new either.

It was a reboot if a Brit show called Till Death Do Us Part - or something along those lines....

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
17-05-2018, 05:14 PM
(17-05-2018 03:09 PM)JDog554 Wrote:  
(17-05-2018 02:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  That's why I stopped watching (on Netflix) that show Bones. Sure the boyfriend or whatever was a catholic and she was supposed to be an atheist but there were a couple times where the analytical "bones" seemed to accept a supernatural cause. Sure, it was like a creepy halloween episode, but still to do they have to give the impression that psychics can speak to ghosts?

Yeah I’ve seen it...it was ok, up until the final season.