God Is Probably An Invention

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2012, 10:14 PM
God Is Probably An Invention
Dear theist,

Have you ever noticed how many religions exist? Even within those religions, there are many differences of belief, because people still lack the tools to prove one religious belief over another.

The fact that there are so many different religions should be a warning; it's a sign that anyone, anywhere can create and belief and probably has a motive to do so, even if the god or gods that the belief is centered on does not exist. The fact that the majority of the world believes in a god or gods that you do not should help you to realize that proof is not what leads a person to religion, nor is it necessary to have a god or gods for a person to continue worshiping and believing.

Even if you think your religion is right and all of the others got it wrong, consider how they came to their conclusions. Did they have some kind of evidence that you don't have? Do you have evidence that they don't? You probably think you might, but so do they... honestly, do you really believe that you are incapable of making a mistake? While the majority of the world is fooled into believing a false god or gods, you think that you're the exception to the general rule?

We are just human. We need a community to feel a part of, and we need to feel like our lives to have value. We need to be accepted into general society, which requires some conformity. We need to have answers to our questions. There are a lot of reasons to have a religion, and none of them have to do with the existence of an actual god or gods.

Think about how you came to religion. Was it because you were faced with incontrovertible evidence, or was it for the myriad of reasons common to people: feeling lonely, needing a change or new start, being raised in a family or society that has a certain religion, or being scared into it with threats of a painful eternity? There are many ways to manipulate people who are at vulnerable times in their lives, and religions take advantage of them. Sure, yours doesn't, but how do you explain the rest of the world, most of whom serve a fictional god or gods? Are you really certain that they were all taken advantage of but you weren't? Do you think that if they were suckered by a religion that they are aware of it? Do you think that they are able to rationalize their beliefs despite the evidence against them?

Why do we think it's normal for a god to be hidden from the general public? Why do we expect signs and answers from gods to be so different from the communication that we get from our fellow humans, who offer communication in a form that we have no trouble deciphering? Why do we think it's normal for a god to play peek-a-boo with us? It makes so much sense for all those believers in false gods... but why does it happen to us, too? Wouldn't we expect a god who is jealous of other gods to get rid of those others gods and make himself widely known to everyone? Why did we have to first hear about our god or gods from other people?

We're only human. We make mistakes. But those mistakes don't have to be permanent.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Starcrash's post
20-02-2012, 08:30 PM
RE: God Is Probably An Invention
Remove the word "probably" and I think you'll have it about right.

The old gods are dead, let's invent some new ones before something really bad happens.
Find all posts by this user
21-02-2012, 07:28 AM
(20-02-2012 08:30 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Remove the word "probably" and I think you'll have it about right.

Just so. My first thought... "probably?"

See link... nice use of "probably"...
http://www.youtube.com/user/philhellenes...yjNXdEGjO4
21-02-2012, 09:24 AM
(21-02-2012 07:28 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(20-02-2012 08:30 PM)Thomas Wrote:  Remove the word "probably" and I think you'll have it about right.

Just so. My first thought... "probably?"

See link... nice use of "probably"...
http://www.youtube.com/user/philhellenes...yjNXdEGjO4

I know it feels wrong to use such qualifiers, but most of us agree that there is literally no way to disprove a god or gods (given their properties of invisibility and distance, subtle communication, etc.) and so I still keep an open mind, despite the lack of good evidence.

So I don't speak of the non-existence of God with certainty. Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence (that's a fallacy known as "argument of silence"), it just lends strong weight to skepticism on that topic.

Thanks, by the way, for the link --- I heard Seth interview Phil on TheThinkingAtheist podcast, but I still hadn't checked him out. I will now.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
21-02-2012, 09:31 AM
(21-02-2012 09:24 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Thanks, by the way, for the link --- I heard Seth interview Phil on TheThinkingAtheist podcast, but I still hadn't checked him out. I will now.

Please tell us what you think of his work. I think it is not quite as polished as Seth's but there are moments of sheer poetry.

This is my favourite:
http://www.youtube.com/user/philhellenes...6w2M50_Xdk
... with the line:

Stars had to die so that I could live.
I,
stepped out,
of a supanova
and

so did you.
[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
21-02-2012, 11:00 AM
Great post Starcrash!

As for Phil- I like his stuff, it appeals on an emotional and rational level whereas most other atheist stuff appeals only on the rational level.
[+] 1 user Likes kineo's post