God Loves Uganda

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2014, 10:32 AM (This post was last modified: 09-04-2014 09:30 PM by ghostexorcist.)
God Loves Uganda
The director of the recent award winning documentary God Loves Uganda (2013) gave a screening at my university yesterday evening. The film is about the negative affects of American evangelicals in the country. They were there to fill the power vacuum left by Idi Amin's fall from power. They've spent the last 30 years pumping money into the country in order to gain influence over Ugandan politics. It has one of the youngest populations in the world--the average age is 15. So these people have grown up learning that condoms are wrong and abstinence only is the only thing that works, as well as that homosexuality is a terrible sin. The first has led to a rise in the HIV/AIDS epidemic, and the second has led to the murder of LGBT representatives.

The 90 minute film focuses on one particular group known as the International House of Prayer (IHOP) that has had the strongest presence in the country. They literally believe that they are destined to rule the world. This is why they send out missionaries to all countries around the world. They believe the more converts they have the more influence they will gain. The church sends a missionary group comprised of mostly white teenagers to remote areas of Uganda to convert the local populace. The arrogance they show is astounding (something the director mentioned in the Q&A); they didn't bother to learn anything about the local culture, customs, or language before leaving. So when they arrive in the villages, they sit down on the ground with, say, an elderly woman, get in her face, grab her hands, and start speaking in English of the glories of their god. They obviously had to lean on an interpreter to get their message across. I can tell the old lay was a bit upset and confused to have these foreigners invade her space.

One white evangelical is responsible for the perpetration of human rights violations and hate crimes. He literally gave lectures in which he claimed gays were demons who were recruiting children to build a gay army in order to take over the country. Influenced by this hatred for gays, several magazines published the names and addresses of people suspected of being gay and or sympathetic to their cause. This led to one LGBT supporter being bludgeoned to death with a hammer in 2011. The white evangelical became so popular that he spoke before the Ugandan parliament. They later passed the infamous "Kill the Gays bill." The bill states that a person caught in a homosexual act can be incarcerated and repeat offenders can be given the death penalty (this latter part was apparently dropped after international outrage).

This film is apparently opening eyes because thousands of churches across the world have requested a screening. One woman from IHOP who watched it said that she was ashamed of her church. The director has also brought together political/religious and LGBT groups in order to start a dialogue. He stated that many politicians have come away from these meetings realizing that members of the gay population are human beings with the same hopes, thoughts, and feelings like them--i.e., they aren't demons.

I've always considered proselytism to be a cancer, and this film is a physical manifestation of that. I highly recommend that members track this movie down when it comes out on DVD on May 19. One of my classmates said it is supposed to come out on iTunes sometime before this, but I'm not sure. Anyways, here is a trailer:

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 16 users Like ghostexorcist's post
09-04-2014, 10:45 AM
RE: God Loves Uganda
So at least the WBC can find a home where they can be happy. I say send them right away!

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
Find all posts by this user
09-04-2014, 11:07 AM
Definitely going to get this. Thanks for the share!

Atir aissom atir imon
[+] 1 user Likes Im_Ryan's post
09-04-2014, 12:05 PM
Disgusting. 'We truly believe God wants the righteous to rule...'

All I heard from that is 'we truly believe we should rule'.

What's that question about religion we've all heard? Who does it hurt?

The religion of one age, is the literary entertainment of the next.
[+] 1 user Likes =jesse='s post
09-04-2014, 01:46 PM
Wow, talk about frightening.

"Because I have a right to be heard... I have a voice!"
09-04-2014, 01:48 PM
(09-04-2014 10:32 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The director of the recent award winning documentary God Loves Uganda (2013) gave a screening at my university yesterday evening. The film is about the negative affects of American evangelicals in the country. ...

*effects

[Image: GrammarNaziTiny.jpg]

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
09-04-2014, 09:01 PM
(09-04-2014 01:48 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(09-04-2014 10:32 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The director of the recent award winning documentary God Loves Uganda (2013) gave a screening at my university yesterday evening. The film is about the negative affects of American evangelicals in the country. ...

*effects

[Image: GrammarNaziTiny.jpg]

I dunno, it depends on how two-faced they are about it.
09-04-2014, 09:08 PM
I remember seeing signs for IHOP and being confused because it wasn't the same color and font of the beloved International House of Pancakes. Now I'm angered at IHOP for giving IHOP a bad name! Still, I believe I saw a video that had bits of this documentary in it. It seems really well made and left me wanting to watch the whole thing despite how depressing the topic is. I'll defiantly have to keep an eye out for it. Hopefully this film's message will help decrease LGBT hate in the US when it releases.

[Image: notagain.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Miss Suzanne's post
09-04-2014, 09:14 PM
(09-04-2014 10:32 AM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  The director of the recent award winning documentary God Loves Uganda (2013) gave a screening at my university yesterday evening. The film is about the negative affects of American evangelicals in the country. They were there to fill the power vacuum left by Idi Amin's fall from power. They've spent the last 30 years pumping money into the country in order to gain influence over Ugandan politics. It has one of the youngest populations in the world--the average age is 15. So these people have grown up learning that condoms are wrong and abstinence only is the only thing that works, as well as that homosexuality is a terrible sin. The first has led to a rise in the HIV/AIDS epidemic, and the second has led to the murder of LGBT representatives.

The 90 minute film focuses on one particular group known as the International House of Prayer (IHOP) that has had the strongest presence in the country. They literally believe that they are destined to rule the world. This is why they send out missionaries to all countries around the world. They believe the more converts they have the more influence they will gain. The church sends a missionary group comprised of mostly white teenagers to remote areas of Uganda to convert the local populace. The arrogance they show is astounding (something the director mentioned in the Q&A); they didn't bother to learn anything about the local culture, customs, or language before leaving. So when they arrive in the villages, they sit down on the ground with, say, an elderly woman, get in her face, grab her hands, and start speaking in English of the glories of their god. They obviously had to lean on an interpreter to get their message across. I can tell the old lay was a bit upset and confused to have these foreigners invade her space.

One white evangelical is responsible for the perpetration of human rights violations and hate crimes. He literally gave lectures in which he claimed gays were demons who were recruiting children to build a gay army in order to take over the country. Influenced by this hatred for gays, several magazines published the names and addresses of people suspected of being gay and or sympathetic to their cause. This led to one LGBT supporter being bludgeoned to death with a hammer in 2011. The white evangelical became so popular that he spoke before the Ugandan parliament. They later passed the infamous "Kill the Gays bill." The bill states that a person caught in a homosexual act can be incarcerated and repeat offenders can be given the death penalty (this latter part was apparently dropped after international outrager).

This film is apparently opening eyes because thousands of churches across the world have requested a screening. One woman from IHOP who watched it said that she was ashamed of her church. The director has also brought together political/religious and LGBT groups in order to start a dialogue. He stated that many politicians have come away from these meetings realizing that members of the gay population are human beings with the same hopes, thoughts, and feelings like them--i.e., they aren't demons.

I've always considered proselytism to be a cancer, and this film is a physical manifestation of that. I highly recommend that members track this movie down when it comes out on DVD on May 19. One of my classmates said it is supposed to come out on iTunes sometime before this, but I'm not sure. Anyways, here is a trailer:

That's so fucking disturbing!

I never could understand how missionaries are successful. That someone could hear a random person say some bullshit about some made up "god" that sounds like complete bullshit, but yet respond by accepting that what they say is true.

When people don't understand why I care what other's believe...this is exactly why.

09-04-2014, 10:39 PM
Yay religion!