God Loves Uganda

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-06-2017, 04:26 PM
RE: God Loves Uganda
There are so many truly serious problems across the world; why do churches devote so much of their efforts to "curing" only this one (to their minds) problem? It's as if we're living besieged by biting insects, carnivorous predators, and all manner of disfiguring and lethal machinery, and something that puts nicks in toenails and musses the nail polish is deemed the most important crisis to defeat. I don't get it.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-06-2017, 04:35 PM
(22-06-2017 02:45 PM)abaris Wrote:  It is.

Good

(22-06-2017 02:55 PM)Emma Wrote:  I'll have to check this out. My friend and coworker is Ugandan. She's an amazing person, and is really sad about what's happened in her country. We've talked about the Kill the Gays bill before, and often talk about Uganda. I'd be terrified to live there, though, as a trans person.

It's a challenging film to watch, to say the least. Be prepared to be pissed off.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2017, 01:40 PM
(22-06-2017 04:26 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  There are so many truly serious problems across the world; why do churches devote so much of their efforts to "curing" only this one (to their minds) problem? It's as if we're living besieged by biting insects, carnivorous predators, and all manner of disfiguring and lethal machinery, and something that puts nicks in toenails and musses the nail polish is deemed the most important crisis to defeat. I don't get it.

Religion has the ability to make one a rather amazing variety of wilful ignorance. This all is a shining example of that.

When I shake my ignore file, I can hear them buzzing!

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 1 user Likes Cheerful Charlie's post
23-06-2017, 03:11 PM
(22-06-2017 04:26 PM)Airportkid Wrote:  There are so many truly serious problems across the world; why do churches devote so much of their efforts to "curing" only this one (to their minds) problem? It's as if we're living besieged by biting insects, carnivorous predators, and all manner of disfiguring and lethal machinery, and something that puts nicks in toenails and musses the nail polish is deemed the most important crisis to defeat. I don't get it.

> There is a point at which religious belief becomes a mental disorder. Fundamentalists are delusional to the point of insanity.
23-06-2017, 03:13 PM
(22-06-2017 04:35 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(22-06-2017 02:45 PM)abaris Wrote:  It is.

Good

(22-06-2017 02:55 PM)Emma Wrote:  I'll have to check this out. My friend and coworker is Ugandan. She's an amazing person, and is really sad about what's happened in her country. We've talked about the Kill the Gays bill before, and often talk about Uganda. I'd be terrified to live there, though, as a trans person.

It's a challenging film to watch, to say the least. Be prepared to be pissed off.

> I was more than pissed off. I was thoroughly disgusted. It reminded me of the years of Catholic indoctrination I had to undergo during my youth. Angry
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
23-06-2017, 08:14 PM
(23-06-2017 03:13 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I was more than pissed off. I was thoroughly disgusted. It reminded me of the years of Catholic indoctrination I had to undergo during my youth. Angry

You are right, disgusted is a much better term. I remember watching it with my mouth agape and my head shaking side to side the entire time.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2017, 11:36 PM

For the same reason the Israelite priests railed against it, in the first place. Homosexuals and trans* persons are a challenge to the Patriarchal power structures and family-breed-more-warriors-for-the-faith structures upon which the religion depends for its support. It is something that must be repressed at all costs.

It also provides (especially with "the demon hypothesis") a convenient scapegoat for the problems in the society, an enemy to whom they can point-- humans naturally rally against any perceived threat, a remnant of our xenophobic tribal evolutionary history; these religion peddlers depend on that Fear Of The Other™ instinct to keep people from thinking too critically about what they're being fed. Politicians today still use this technique.

If you really want to see what scumbags these evangelicals are, look at the lead pastor behind the Uganda efforts, Scott Lively, who is currently being sued in US court for violations of international law... and who just won a summary dismissal of the case on procedural grounds, but is appealing his victory in an attempt to destroy the international anti-bigotry law's influence in US jurisdiction.

But but but... why are you so angry at God, atheists?

Fuckin' scumbags. Dodgy

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 2 users Like RocketSurgeon76's post
24-06-2017, 12:05 AM
(23-06-2017 11:36 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  But but but... why are you so angry at God, atheists?

* Insert obligatory Alan Rickman GIF here. *

[Image: tumblr_nyjqcvc80Q1ta3m6do1_400.gif]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
24-06-2017, 05:53 AM
(23-06-2017 08:14 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 03:13 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > I was more than pissed off. I was thoroughly disgusted. It reminded me of the years of Catholic indoctrination I had to undergo during my youth. Angry

You are right, disgusted is a much better term. I remember watching it with my mouth agape and my head shaking side to side the entire time.

> I should amend that to intense Catholic indoctrination. When I was in 5th grade the class was inducted into a youth group called The St. Dominic Savio Club. We had to wear T-shirts bearing his Coat of Arms and one day each week was devoted to saying special prayers, singing religious songs and studying his life and philosophy. I can only liken it to the Hitler Jügen. I count myself fortunate that this experiment in indoctrination didn't have the effects that the school administrators hoped for and the club was dropped from the curriculum the following year. Consider

> This film revealed over a score of alarming parallels to Catholic indoctrination methods employed during the 1950's and 1960's.
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
24-06-2017, 08:47 AM
(24-06-2017 05:53 AM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(23-06-2017 08:14 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  You are right, disgusted is a much better term. I remember watching it with my mouth agape and my head shaking side to side the entire time.

> I should amend that to intense Catholic indoctrination. When I was in 5th grade the class was inducted into a youth group called The St. Dominic Savio Club. We had to wear T-shirts bearing his Coat of Arms and one day each week was devoted to saying special prayers, singing religious songs and studying his life and philosophy. I can only liken it to the Hitler Jügen. I count myself fortunate that this experiment in indoctrination didn't have the effects that the school administrators hoped for and the club was dropped from the curriculum the following year. Consider

> This film revealed over a score of alarming parallels to Catholic indoctrination methods employed during the 1950's and 1960's.

Been there, done that, still recovering, but it's taken nearly a whole lifetime. The way the RCC fucks with kids is just horrible, immoral, disgusting and tragic. My 8th grade nun is the most evil person I have thus far encountered in my life....and that's no bull! Don't get me started................

Playing chess with pigeons......
[+] 1 user Likes JakSiemasz's post