God Minus an After Life.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-03-2012, 07:49 PM (This post was last modified: 03-03-2012 07:54 PM by Mr Woof.)
God Minus an After Life.
Quite often people who live in a Christian community look on themselves as Christians. They may even attend a Church. Perhaps they enjoy the hymns, the pageantry and even feel a sense of awe. Actually a philosopher has come up with the term aweism. These people may not view themselves as atheists because they see the local Church and pastor merely as constructive aspects in their pursuit to be decent citizens. They do not concern themselves with the nature of God, archangels, Hell, Heaven or afterlives........at least some of them.

In Jesus' time the Saduccees did not believe in an after life, and some Christians today do not see it as the icing on the cake for leading a reasonably good life.
Some may look to such writings as The Sermon on The Mount to find help in their day by day difficulties. They look for something good and do not see the Bible good in its entirety; rather they find some isolated moral teachings among a lot of garbled history. Most people don't think it ethical to follow O.T. orders to stone naughty kids at the City Gates, burn witches, and burn sheep as a delightfull scent for Yahveh's nostrils.

I often wonder what those belivers seeking the afterlife hope to find.
An eternity with the old folk praising the Lord? Physical bodies ,or a more etheral eternity? In a problem free Heaven creativity is not without problems!
I'm sure some Christians will come up with more complex sophisticated Heavens and Hells.............then again, why not just look t a good now and let the cosmos just do its thing, which will surely happen anyway, one way or the other.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
03-03-2012, 07:52 PM
RE: God Minus an After Life.
(03-03-2012 07:49 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  In Jesus' time the Saduccees did not believe in an after life...

But that's why they were Sad, You See. Big Grin

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
[+] 7 users Like Erxomai's post
03-03-2012, 07:57 PM
(03-03-2012 07:52 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 07:49 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  In Jesus' time the Saduccees did not believe in an after life...

Hey, that an old Seventh Day Adventist joke!
That wasn't you previous calling was it?Big Grin
03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
(03-03-2012 07:49 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  I often wonder what those belivers seeking the afterlife hope to find.

I'll take the 72 virgins option, please.

But as Eddie Current points out, 72 spread over eternity is not so big a deal.

http://www.youtube.com/user/philhellenes...CR1Nbu6pIM

03-03-2012, 07:59 PM
(03-03-2012 07:57 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(03-03-2012 07:52 PM)Erxomai Wrote:  

Hey, that an old Seventh Day Adventist joke!
That wasn't you previous calling was it?Big Grin

Close. I was a Seventh Day Baptist...the more obscure, bacon eating type of Sabbath Keeper.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
03-03-2012, 09:06 PM
If you mean the casual xtians who were born into a denomination and maintian loose ties with a church, they're not looking for anything. They don't need to: the vaguely recalled bible stories, the easter mass or christmas procession, weddings and funerals, are enough. There are commandments, not memorized perfectly, but corresponding to the laws of one's nation and the golden rule, and it's no big deal whether the kids pray in school or learn about apes. There is a Jesus who said nice things, one time, about prodigal sons, or maybe cheesemakers, and little birds, but didn't like pigs much. There is a sketchy sort of heaven on the distant horizon, where they'll be reunited with lost relatives and friends. Sometimes, there is a St Peter at the gate, for whom Mrs. Jones bakes her very best apple pie; perhaps St. Patrick or Guillermo for a good chin-wag about the old country.

Those were the kind of xtians we could get along with, and who could get along with on another. They weren't rabid.

If you pray to anything, you're prey to anything.
03-03-2012, 10:21 PM

This life is for the afterlife, or more accurately, the next phase of existence. In this life you will either reap destruction and just be anihilated, or you will be thrown in hell for the pleasure of God, or you will go on to kingdom of heaven where you will have greater control and creative powers over your universe. Either you train in this life for the wisdom necessary to handle the power you will have in the Kingdom of heaven, or you use this life to move toward destruction or damnation. Most people will simply be destroyed after this life.
Quote this message in a reply
03-03-2012, 10:25 PM
I'm actually okay with destruction. I mean, it's what happens anyway when we die. It's the whole God-is-eager-to-torture-the-majority-of-his-children-without-end thing that is so fucked up.

~Izel
[+] 4 users Like Erxomai's post
03-03-2012, 11:02 PM
(03-03-2012 10:21 PM)Egor Wrote:  This life is for the afterlife, or more accurately, the next phase of existence. In this life you will either reap destruction and just be anihilated, or you will be thrown in hell for the pleasure of God, or you will go on to kingdom of heaven where you will have greater control and creative powers over your universe. Either you train in this life for the wisdom necessary to handle the power you will have in the Kingdom of heaven, or you use this life to move toward destruction or damnation. Most people will simply be destroyed after this life.
Wheres the evidence?

I take it you acceept Reincarnation as was taught in the first five hundred years of the Paulian faith. A one life scenario (foetus to say 100) would not give souls the time to learn the neccessary tricks of the trade, would it now? But of coure god, particularly Yahveh, was never known for its fairness. It is amazing how callous you fundamentalist people really are. All lunacy, egocentricity and no compassion!

AS for god delighting in the torture of its creations.......sick,sick,sick.
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
04-03-2012, 01:16 AM
(03-03-2012 10:21 PM)Egor Wrote:  This life is for the afterlife, or more accurately, the next phase of existence. In this life you will either reap destruction and just be anihilated, or you will be thrown in hell for the pleasure of God, or you will go on to kingdom of heaven where you will have greater control and creative powers over your universe. Either you train in this life for the wisdom necessary to handle the power you will have in the Kingdom of heaven, or you use this life to move toward destruction or damnation. Most people will simply be destroyed after this life.

Some of us value this life as more than a doormat to wipe your feet on in preparation for entering another life. If you really believed this, as you claim to, you'd be suicidal... seriously, why bother spending any more time here if it's just "for the afterlife"?

You may say that you're "train[ing] in this life", but I ask you: For what? What skills could you gain in this life that would actually be necessary in a world where you'll be happy no matter what you know and no matter how you lived your life? What could you learn here that still have value upon moving to a world where faith is no longer necessary, sinning is impossible, and temptation doesn't exist? It's like studying for a test after you've been guaranteed an A+ in the class... it just isn't logical.

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Starcrash's post