God Of Coincidence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-03-2012, 10:33 AM
RE: God Of Coincidence?
That's a good point Erx. Hell it snowed last night.... and it was clear out. How in the ....

As for fate, I totally agree that the only way we would be able to know for fact that something was pre destined was if we either were the ones in control or watching someone else control it. Which to me means one can never know if ones own life is predestined while it's in motion. Maybe after we die and the great Sauron in the sky will pull back the curtains and show us what life was.
Maybe that's what heaven is actually supposed to be, genuine freedom?

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes lucradis's post
07-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Quote:My question is how many of you have actually gotten mad at the invisible likely to be non existent god?

Only when I play golf; then I curse the golf gods. They are nasty. Really, really nasty.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
07-03-2012, 07:45 PM
(06-03-2012 10:33 AM)lucradis Wrote:  That's a good point Erx. Hell it snowed last night.... and it was clear out. How in the ....

As for fate, I totally agree that the only way we would be able to know for fact that something was pre destined was if we either were the ones in control or watching someone else control it. Which to me means one can never know if ones own life is predestined while it's in motion. Maybe after we die and the great Sauron in the sky will pull back the curtains and show us what life was.
Maybe that's what heaven is actually supposed to be, genuine freedom?

This morning was one of those rare NW mornings where I had little difficulty waking up because of the bright object in the sky shooting it's radiation at me.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
13-03-2012, 06:57 AM
(05-03-2012 01:43 PM)lucradis Wrote:  So for me since I can't actually prove the non existence of a god, there remains a percent chance that there is one, and in that I use likelihood to determine what kind of god it would probably be, and then I narrow it down. To me If there were a god he'd probably be either accidental, or a dick. So that's like 50/50 that if there were a god he would actually find entertainment in fucking with people.

Without a doubt. I believe in following where the evidence points (which is so far towards not a god, but if there were one, where would everything point) and clearly this god loves fucking with people as much as possible.

Frankly any god that would exist seems more like a scientist than anything else. Admittedly, a high-school level scientist (maybe earth is a pan-dimensional science-fair entry?) running multiple tests at once.

"If we tell them weird shit that seriously can't be true, will they believe us?"
"How far can we push this?"

etc etc.

I very much doubt that whether or not we believe or worship it would be a big issue beyound how that might win it the giant universe-size blue ribbon.
[+] 1 user Likes Mugsy's post
01-09-2012, 05:15 PM
Do you guys believe that everything that happens was "bound to happen"? or do you believe things that look like a coincidence are just... coincidences?

I know theists dont think about it and in every coincidencial situation just jump to say that "god" had something to do with it.

if your faith can move mountains it should be able to withstand criticism
01-09-2012, 05:41 PM
(01-09-2012 05:15 PM)SomeOne Wrote:  Do you guys believe that everything that happens was "bound to happen"? or do you believe things that look like a coincidence are just... coincidences?

I know theists dont think about it and in every coincidencial situation just jump to say that "god" had something to do with it.

Stuff happens, including coincidences.

Our brains/minds evolved over hundreds of thousands of years in the environment of small groups (family, band, tribe, village), so our intuition of probability was formed for small numbers of events.
Our perception of intention also formed in that environment.

What we see as connected or meaningful when bombarded with numbers of people and events hugely greater than our minds were adapted for is therefore skewed.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
01-09-2012, 05:45 PM
Both? Some things are doubtlessly bound to happen. If I were to throw four hundred sharp pointy knives into the air above my head it's highly likely that one would stab me painfully. Not a guarantee but the probability is high enough to consider it one.

But if you are talking about the concept of fate, then I do not believe in fate. It feels like it sometimes and can be remarkably eery, and no explanation of deja vu has ever satiated my bubbly brains, but I find it unlikely that everything is planned.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
01-09-2012, 05:57 PM
(01-09-2012 05:45 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Both? Some things are doubtlessly bound to happen. If I were to throw four hundred sharp pointy knives into the air above my head it's highly likely that one would stab me painfully. Not a guarantee but the probability is high enough to consider it one.

But if you are talking about the concept of fate, then I do not believe in fate. It feels like it sometimes and can be remarkably eery, and no explanation of deja vu has ever satiated my bubbly brains, but I find it unlikely that everything is planned.

I believe this is a matter of definition of concepts, while "coincidence" in the dictionary means:
Quote:1a remarkable concurrence of events or circumstances without apparent causal connection
2 correspondence in nature or in time of occurrence:
lots of people mix the concept with "fate".

I've heard other messed-up definitions from people that I dont remember now, but, my point is that people sometimes say "I believe in.." or "I dont believe in..." because of what others say and not what they really think/believe. Just like religions...

01-09-2012, 07:41 PM
My mention of fate was tied to your "bound to happen" comment. I am aware of what a coincidence is.

01-09-2012, 07:59 PM
I didnt mean to say you dont know what it is, I was just pointing out what people should think when they hear the word "coincidence".