God Of Coincidence?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-09-2012, 08:46 PM
RE: God Of Coincidence?
(01-09-2012 05:45 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Both? Some things are doubtlessly bound to happen. If I were to throw four hundred sharp pointy knives into the air above my head it's highly likely that one would stab me painfully. Not a guarantee but the probability is high enough to consider it one.

But if you are talking about the concept of fate, then I do not believe in fate. It feels like it sometimes and can be remarkably eery, and no explanation of deja vu has ever satiated my bubbly brains, but I find it unlikely that everything is planned.

I have a thing where I don't believe in fate as in "someone planned it" and similar. But I could say I believe in it in the sense of I believe that given you can know what everything is doing at every time, you could know how everything would interact and predict what would happen (or just know what would happen)--so in that sense, "fate" would exist as a person's life is already laid out... but by natural reasons not supernatural ones, so it's not a plan, just what is. But I figure it's impossible to track everything at all points, which would make fate more of a "in theory" (not a scientific theory sense of course).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
02-09-2012, 01:26 PM
(05-03-2012 02:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  There's a short sci-fi story I read once about a guy who's a rain God but doesn't know it - he hates rain, but the clouds all love him because he is their God, so wherever he goes it's always raining Smile Just adding some grist to your mill Tongue

Not sure if there is a separate and distinct short story with this subplot but this is also something that happens to a truck drive who makes an almost cameo appearance in the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe" series. I can't now recall which book because it's been a few years since I've read them.

As for the topic, there are weird coincidences all the time. I've had enough weird coincidences occur that I confess it has, at times in the past, made me re-think my whole view on god and faith. But, ultimately, I've come down on the side of: even if there was supreme, divine being who created life, the universe and everything, the odds that he's getting in the business of planting a thought with me to think about an old friend who I've not thought about in years just moments before that old friend calls is still highly unlikely. To go from parting the red sea to that seems like a big fall from - I almost hate to say it - grace.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
[+] 1 user Likes BnW's post
02-09-2012, 01:57 PM
(02-09-2012 01:26 PM)BnW Wrote:  
(05-03-2012 02:07 PM)morondog Wrote:  There's a short sci-fi story I read once about a guy who's a rain God but doesn't know it - he hates rain, but the clouds all love him because he is their God, so wherever he goes it's always raining Smile Just adding some grist to your mill Tongue

Not sure if there is a separate and distinct short story with this subplot but this is also something that happens to a truck drive who makes an almost cameo appearance in the "Hitchhikers Guide to the Universe" series. I can't now recall which book because it's been a few years since I've read them.

Ha, that's exactly it. Nice to know the source. Douglas Adams you beauty Big Grin
02-09-2012, 03:10 PM
(05-03-2012 03:46 PM)lucradis Wrote:  So it was semi. Sunny all day today. I wanted a coffee so I went to get one. Guess what? It both rained and snowed in me. But guess what else? That's right it's sunny out again as I sit inside.
Fuck you coincidence god.

You know the way people say that when toast falls, it always lands on the side with the butter on it. Actually, this isn't exactly true. Scientists said that people seem to only remember when bad things happen, such as when the toast lands on the side with the butter, and not the other side.

I think this is happening a bit here too. There may have been a day when it was raining, but you never looked out the window. When you went outside it wasn't raining, which meant luck was on your side, but you never noticed it.
02-09-2012, 03:33 PM
Just something for you guys.

02-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Interesting video.... actually I could find it quite possible, since I had "deja vu" very frequently after a head injury. I would have it almost constantly it felt like, for a few weeks. Although I did say at the time it felt like everything was disconnected--I felt out of sync with the world. Although I felt ahead of the world, and the world was behind, then I slowly, well, "slowed down" to come back into sync.