God Particle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-07-2012, 07:38 AM
RE: God Particle
It's called the "God Particle" because of its importance and elusiveness. It's been called that since the 90s... before Foxnews.

smh

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-07-2012, 07:51 AM
(03-07-2012 07:38 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  It's called the "God Particle" because of its importance and elusiveness. It's been called that since the 90s... before Foxnews.

smh
Still not it's official name. People should have more respect for science and make the layman's name a bit more secular. It is a misleading title, just like M.Eve.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
03-07-2012, 09:19 AM
(03-07-2012 07:22 AM)Ratbag Wrote:  Why do they have to drag religious allusions into important science topics:

The God Particle
Mitochondrial Eve

Bloody journalists!
No, it is scientists who coin these terms. This is nerd humor, clever and intellectual.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
03-07-2012, 02:45 PM
An update to this story:

Today, CERN accidentally leaked an article containing a video on its website confirming they have observed a new particle which very well may be the Higgs boson. This article was quickly removed, but was dated July 4th and the video was downloaded and uploaded to a new site before it was taken down.

CERN says the article was released due to a technical fault. Also, concerning the video, they say it was but one of several pre-recorded videos for differing outcomes of the experiments.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchi...-probably/

"The most valuable possession you can own is an open heart. The most powerful weapon you can be is an instrument of peace." -- Carlos Santana
03-07-2012, 02:49 PM
(03-07-2012 02:45 PM)Zephony Wrote:  An update to this story:

Today, CERN accidentally leaked an article containing a video on its website confirming they have observed a new particle which very well may be the Higgs boson. This article was quickly removed, but was dated July 4th and the video was downloaded and uploaded to a new site before it was taken down.

CERN says the article was released due to a technical fault. Also, concerning the video, they say it was but one of several pre-recorded videos for differing outcomes of the experiments.

http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/news/tomchi...-probably/
Or all that high-energy stuff ripped a hole in the fabric space-time continuum and the article leaked through. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
03-07-2012, 09:58 PM
Sweeeeet! Big Grin It's going to be webcast at 17:00 my time. roughly 3 hrs from now when people in the US are sleeping Tongue

Clap

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post
03-07-2012, 11:52 PM (This post was last modified: 03-07-2012 11:57 PM by DLJ.)
I think it's all a big hoax.
Somewhere underground in Switzerland, science geeks are having the biggest rave in the history of humankind and they have run out of beer so a putting out a press release asking for more funding for "research".

If the announcement (either way) says that "more research needs to be done" you'll know I'm right. This is my prophecy.

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
04-07-2012, 12:13 AM
(03-07-2012 11:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think it's all a big hoax.
Somewhere underground in Switzerland, science geeks are having the biggest rave in the history of humankind and they have run out of beer so a putting out a press release asking for more funding for "research".

If the announcement (either way) says that "more research needs to be done" you'll know I'm right. This is my prophecy.
I'm betting all my money on you being wrong. DEAD WRONG!!!

Here's how it will go down...

"Lady and Gentlemen, we have learned everything that is possible to be learnt in this universe and all parallel universes. There is no longer a need to fund any kind of scientific research cos we now know it all ever since we found the God particle. Have a nice life."

04-07-2012, 12:36 AM
(04-07-2012 12:13 AM)DeepThought Wrote:  
(03-07-2012 11:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think it's all a big hoax.

I'm betting all my money on you being wrong. DEAD WRONG!!!

Here's how it will go down...

"Lady and Gentlemen, we have learned everything that is possible to be learnt in this universe and all parallel universes. There is no longer a need to fund any kind of scientific research cos we now know it all ever since we found the God particle. Have a nice life."
Oh yes, silly me. What was I thinking?
btw, do you have a link to the webcast?

04-07-2012, 12:57 AM
http://webcast.web.cern.ch/webcast/play_higgs.html
It's live right now