Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2012, 01:01 AM
RE: God Particle
Timing!
Thanks.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2012, 01:26 AM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 01:36 AM by Bucky Ball.)
CERN is announcing Higgs
So I hear on the BBC, that CERN is having a press conference, announcing they most likely have evidence for the Higgs Boson, tonight.
BTW, it's not the god particle. Leon Lederman -- reportedly against his will, allowed to be called that, but has said he wanted to call it the "goddamn Particle" because "nobody could find the thing."

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
[+] 3 users Like Bucky Ball's post
04-07-2012, 02:27 AM
I'm watching it now.
But dagnammit, I have to catch a plane... bad timing!

04-07-2012, 02:58 AM
Well, it seems there are no big surprises so far. A Higgs boson has been found with a high degree of confidence. It's within the range of what was expected for the standard model. Now it's just a matter of gathering more data for improved accuracy and mapping out the decay paths.

“Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be born.” - Lawrence M. Krauss
04-07-2012, 03:26 AM
(03-07-2012 11:52 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I think it's all a big hoax.
Somewhere underground in Switzerland, science geeks are having the biggest rave in the history of humankind and they have run out of beer so a putting out a press release asking for more funding for "research".

If the announcement (either way) says that "more research needs to be done" you'll know I'm right. This is my prophecy.
Well that's a bit ignorant isn't it?
I don't think there is any reason not to assume they would be saying more research is needed.
That was never the purpose of this conference. I think the point was always to annouce they have found it, I think the assumtion that then more research on it was required.
This experiment was to see if they can get the higgs to basically appear so that they can then do research on it.
This is just to announce that they have made it appear, more research will be needed from here.

With all due respect perhaps you should learn about what they are doing before you make brash comments about it being a hoax and understand what is being said.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
04-07-2012, 03:34 AM
(04-07-2012 03:26 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  Well that's a bit ignorant isn't it?
I don't think there is any reason not to assume they would be saying more research is needed.
That was never the purpose of this conference. I think the point was always to annouce they have found it, I think the assumtion that then more research on it was required.
This experiment was to see if they can get the higgs to basically appear so that they can then do research on it.
This is just to announce that they have made it appear, more research will be needed from here.

With all due respect perhaps you should learn about what they are doing before you make brash comments about it being a hoax and understand what is being said.
I'm pretty sure that he was joking.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
04-07-2012, 03:56 AM
What's your degree of certainty, Vos? 5sigma?

04-07-2012, 04:23 AM
(04-07-2012 03:56 AM)DLJ Wrote:  What's your degree of certainty, Vos? 5sigma?
Sounds about right. Smile

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
04-07-2012, 05:13 AM
Earmuffs, I think they should dismantle the whole LHC, sell it to spare parts and use that money to feed some starving children. Why do we need to know about gravity and mass, when we have starving people. This LHC is the worlds stupidest idea, so much money is spent on it, wasted for nothing. No one is going to get any benefits because of their elusive particle.

Wink

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
04-07-2012, 06:31 AM
(04-07-2012 05:13 AM)Filox Wrote:  Earmuffs, I think they should dismantle the whole LHC, sell it to spare parts and use that money to feed some starving children. Why do we need to know about gravity and mass, when we have starving people. This LHC is the worlds stupidest idea, so much money is spent on it, wasted for nothing. No one is going to get any benefits because of their elusive particle.

Wink
Are you gonna be a fucking cunt every time I post in the science sub-section?
Just thought I would ask and save myself some time reading your posts in the future.

Nobody is building your stupid enterprise, it's a waste of fucking money. And even if the fucking waste of money is built, the world is not gonna be rallied behind it's construction in some big fucking happy utopian paradise.

If all you got from what I said in that thread is that we should feed the hungry instead of building the enterprise then you need to back the fuck up and re-read my posts.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.