God Particle

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2012, 09:53 AM
RE: God Particle
(04-07-2012 06:31 AM)earmuffs Wrote:  
(04-07-2012 05:13 AM)Filox Wrote:  Earmuffs, I think they should dismantle the whole LHC, sell it to spare parts and use that money to feed some starving children. Why do we need to know about gravity and mass, when we have starving people. This LHC is the worlds stupidest idea, so much money is spent on it, wasted for nothing. No one is going to get any benefits because of their elusive particle.

Wink
Are you gonna be a fucking cunt every time I post in the science sub-section?
Just thought I would ask and save myself some time reading your posts in the future.

Nobody is building your stupid enterprise, it's a waste of fucking money. And even if the fucking waste of money is built, the world is not gonna be rallied behind it's construction in some big fucking happy utopian paradise.

If all you got from what I said in that thread is that we should feed the hungry instead of building the enterprise then you need to back the fuck up and re-read my posts.
CHILL OUT bro. That winking smiley should be a major indication of sarcasm. You might be a victim of Poe's Law. Relax, take a deep breath, and see how absurd the statement is, then laugh about it.

Here's a relevant comic:
[Image: 20120704.png]

Welcome to science. You're gonna like it here - Phil Plait

Have you ever tried taking a comfort blanket away from a small child? - DLJ
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like robotworld's post
04-07-2012, 06:02 PM
Just so everyone knows what a Higgs-boson is... this guy is cool ... I want his tee shirt. Wink

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 2 users Like kim's post
04-07-2012, 06:36 PM (This post was last modified: 04-07-2012 06:40 PM by GirlyMan.)
"The Higgs Boson has this job of giving masses to all the other elementary particles." "God Particle" sounds a proper term to me. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
05-07-2012, 02:41 AM
Lederman (author of the book "The God Particle: If the Universe I the Answer, What Is the Question?") said he gave it the nickname "The God Particle" because the particle is "so central to the state of physics today, so crucial to our understanding of the structure of matter, yet so elusive," but jokingly added that a second reason was because "the publisher wouldn't let us call it the Goddamn Particle, though that might be a more appropriate title, given its villainous nature and the expense it is causing."

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
[+] 2 users Like fstratzero's post
05-07-2012, 03:08 AM
Oh God no, earmuffs hates me now... Go light up a splif man, watch some Monty Python.

[Image: 129054637030438696.jpg]

And yes, since I proclaimed myself to be an asshole, I will make fun of you, the same way I make fun of everyone else, now and then. If you seriously mind it that much, I can stop answering to your posts, but seriously? The fuck...

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
05-07-2012, 06:46 AM

Apparently they have simply found "a" new particle, and it might be like the Higgs boson, but they really don't know and may never know, and the Standard Model may be falling apart anyway.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/07/05/scienc...wanted=all

"For now, some physicists are simply calling it a “Higgslike” particle."

We live in an age where hype, the need for research grant dollars, the need for fame and notoriety, all outweigh scientific credibility. We live in a world where the truth is dictated to us according to what best controls us.
Quote this message in a reply
05-07-2012, 06:51 AM
(05-07-2012 06:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  Apparently they have simply found "a" new particle, and it might be like the Higgs boson, but they really don't know and may never know, and the Standard Model may be falling apart anyway.

It doesn't matter whether the Standard Model is falling apart. Science is a matter of successive approximation, of asymptotic knowledge. The old passes away, science continues to thrive.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
05-07-2012, 08:29 AM
(05-07-2012 06:46 AM)Egor Wrote:  Apparently they have simply found "a" new particle, and it might be like the Higgs boson, but they really don't know and may never know, and the Standard Model may be falling apart anyway.

We live in an age where hype, the need for research grant dollars, the need for fame and notoriety, all outweigh scientific credibility. We live in a world where the truth is dictated to us according to what best controls us.
Isn't it great that science can actually say something like "yeah, we THINK it's the Higgs, but we're not 100%".
Whatever your religion is I doubt it has that sort of flexibility.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
05-07-2012, 10:02 AM
Higgs boson walks into a church and sits down at a pew..... it is given some wild stares until the father approaches it and says "sorry we cannot allow you in here"....... Higgs stands up and says "Well without me you cant have mass"....

(tumbleweed passes by) Big Grin

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 7 users Like bemore's post
05-07-2012, 10:35 AM
(05-07-2012 10:02 AM)bemore Wrote:  Higgs boson walks into a church and sits down at a pew..... it is given some wild stares until the father approaches it and says "sorry we cannot allow you in here"....... Higgs stands up and says "Well without me you cant have mass"....

(tumbleweed passes by) Big Grin

Yep - I'm lovin' it!! [Image: lolz.gif]

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post