God: The Ultimate Special Case

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
16-06-2016, 05:43 AM
RE: God: The Ultimate Special Case
(16-06-2016 05:31 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 05:25 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  There is only one "atheistic" belief. Any other beliefs held in common by atheists are coincidental.

It doesn't matter that the said beliefs are coincidental. What makes them worthy of criticism is that such beliefs are commonly held and that they are obviously flawed.

You miss the point entirely.

Atheism refers to a lack of belief in any god. This is the only atheistic belief. The definition stops there.

Now there are other beliefs that are held in common by some/most atheists. But those beliefs can also be held by non-atheists.

As an example: Skepticism.
Most atheists are skeptics. Not all, but most. It could be said that it is a commonly held belief.

However many believers are skeptics, they simply compartmentalize in regards to religion.

So calling skepticism an "atheistic" belief would be incorrect.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-06-2016, 05:46 AM
(16-06-2016 05:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 05:27 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  I came in on the tail end (heh..) of that episode and missed most of it. Looks like I get the full experience now. Drinking Beverage

Do you own an oven?

Do you have a penis?

If so, then walk up to your oven, open it's door, whip out your twig and berries, and place them in the path of the closing door.

Now grab a hold of the oven door, and slam it shut with all of your might; pretend that the fate of the world is dependent upon how many Newtons of force you can impart in this endeavor.

Congratulations! You've now recreated the feeling of participating in a Blowjob thread.

Shocking

Having both a penis and an oven, I find that image particularly traumatic. Sadcryface

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-06-2016, 05:49 AM
(16-06-2016 05:41 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 05:35 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I have never tried. You baiting me to try is simply an attempt to shift the goal post. You are now employing the tactic of a failure trying to save face.

The flood myth comes hand in hand with the rest of the madness.

I am criticizing your belief that for God some actions are more difficult than others. The flood myth has nothing to do with that criticism. Perhaps you could point to one religion that claims that for God, some actions are harder than others.
16-06-2016, 06:06 AM
(16-06-2016 05:46 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 05:40 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Do you own an oven?

Do you have a penis?

If so, then walk up to your oven, open it's door, whip out your twig and berries, and place them in the path of the closing door.

Now grab a hold of the oven door, and slam it shut with all of your might; pretend that the fate of the world is dependent upon how many Newtons of force you can impart in this endeavor.

Congratulations! You've now recreated the feeling of participating in a Blowjob thread.

Shocking

Having both a penis and an oven, I find that image particularly traumatic. Sadcryface

Emotionally scarred? Good.

Blowjob has that -50 for a reason.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes EvolutionKills's post
16-06-2016, 06:08 AM
(16-06-2016 05:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 05:41 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  The flood myth comes hand in hand with the rest of the madness.

I am criticizing your belief that for God some actions are more difficult than others. The flood myth has nothing to do with that criticism. Perhaps you could point to one religion that claims that for God, some actions are harder than others.

Creation. If exertion is meaningless, then so is rest. Drinking Beverage

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-06-2016, 06:12 AM
(16-06-2016 06:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(16-06-2016 05:49 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  I am criticizing your belief that for God some actions are more difficult than others. The flood myth has nothing to do with that criticism. Perhaps you could point to one religion that claims that for God, some actions are harder than others.

Creation. If exertion is meaningless, then so is rest. Drinking Beverage

My hat is off to you sir. Thumbsup

That comment alone should be worth 10 rep.

[+] 2 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
16-06-2016, 06:25 AM
(16-06-2016 05:41 AM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  The flood myth comes hand in hand with the rest of the madness.

Then we are arguing different things.
I am not saying that, for an all powerful god, all effort is the same exertion.
I am saying that gods methods in the bible dont support an omni-anything god.
The OP was about how he gets a pass for sloppy methodology, and the poor reasoning used to justify that.
[+] 1 user Likes Gordon Blue's post
16-06-2016, 06:39 AM
(16-06-2016 04:21 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  
(14-06-2016 01:10 PM)Gordon Blue Wrote:  Why would he choose convoluted course of action X, if he is all powerful and could do it simply with Y?

If one is "all powerful" nothing is "easy" or "hard". To you a method might seem "convoluted" but to a being which is "all powerful" that method is just as effortless as any other.

This is where you are getting this easy/hard bit from. Being convoluted has nothing to do with difficulty. I am not talking about difficulty. I am talking about course of action, the means to the end. Weather or not, or how much, anything drains god's power clock is irrelevant. Its how he goes about it.
[+] 1 user Likes Gordon Blue's post
16-06-2016, 06:41 AM
(16-06-2016 05:04 AM)Heywood Jahblome Wrote:  The fact that atheists have to anthropomorphize the nature of God to justify their positions is what provokes questions.

Hello! Big Grin

I, as an agnostic/atheist/non-theist don't anthropomorphise the concept of the above mentioned diety.

I'm aware of being able to do so. As well as the religions which expressly have done so.

But said practice doesn't address the issues of what said diety's can and can not do.

Thumbsup
16-06-2016, 06:49 AM

Yes Heywood, if such an imaginary being exists, then he could do things for "mysterious" reasons.

But having such impossible characteristics makes it implausible, therefore IF you are asserting such an impossible being exists, the burden of proof is on you.

Pretty sure you've had this conversation before. Drinking Beverage

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
[+] 1 user Likes TheInquisition's post