God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-02-2014, 01:16 PM
God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)
A thread to showcase God's sense of humor.

A little more than a year ago, Brayden was diagnosed with bilateral Wilms tumors, which means he has tumors on both kidneys. For 13 months, he fought. His tiny body underwent test after test, chemo treatment after chemo treatment.

Then, on Feb. 5, Brayden's doctors told his family that it was time to stop fighting. There was nothing more they could do.

"Getting news like that, you're just beside yourself," Marinelli said.

Brayden's paternal grandmother, Dolly Chandler, said she had just baby-sat Brayden a few days before his terminal diagnosis and he seemed fine.

"My heart hurts so bad," Chandler said. "He's only 3. It's not right. It's not fair."

Given the devastating news, the Make-A-Wish Foundation of Philadelphia and Susquehanna Valley moved up Brayden's wish to go to Disney World from April to last week. Molly Gatto, director of program services, said Brayden's wish was not unusual. About half of Make-A-Wish kids choose a Disney trip.

"Our whole mission is to provide strength, hope and joy to these children," Gatto said. "There's something to be said for what we provide. There's hope in this wonderful wish experience."

Brayden's family said the trip was incredible. His face lit up each time he met the Disney characters, but especially when he met his favorite, Buzz Lightyear. He told Tigger he stunk a little and he even got to ride the teacups. The family stayed at Give Kids the World, a 70-acre resort designed for ill or special-needs children.

Read more at http://www.philly.com/philly/news/201402...jA2pLv4.99

To all the believers that drop by TTA and insist on a personal God try and wrap your heads around a three year old that has untreatable bilateral Wilms tumor. Go ahead with your mental gymnastics, justification and explanations...or perhaps come to the same conclusion I have... there is no God.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Full Circle's post
19-02-2014, 01:19 PM
RE: God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)
Instead of saying there is no God you can say also that God is evil or doesn't give a shit.
[+] 2 users Like donotwant's post
19-02-2014, 03:03 PM
(19-02-2014 01:19 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Instead of saying there is no God you can say also that God is evil or doesn't give a shit.

Very true.

I guess we're back to Epicurus' observations.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
19-02-2014, 03:05 PM
(19-02-2014 01:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  To all the believers that drop by TTA and insist on a personal God try and wrap your heads around a three year old that has untreatable bilateral Wilms tumor. Go ahead with your mental gymnastics, justification and explanations...or perhaps come to the same conclusion I have... there is no God.
Why...do the parents feel that the three years with the child was a net evil?
19-02-2014, 03:11 PM
(19-02-2014 03:05 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  To all the believers that drop by TTA and insist on a personal God try and wrap your heads around a three year old that has untreatable bilateral Wilms tumor. Go ahead with your mental gymnastics, justification and explanations...or perhaps come to the same conclusion I have... there is no God.

Are you serious? You're going to try to spin the death of a three year-old into some kind of blessing from on high?

You are a disgusting, heartless piece of shit with the morals of a sadist.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
19-02-2014, 03:20 PM
(19-02-2014 03:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you serious? You're going to try to spin the death of a three year-old into some kind of blessing from on high?
No, I'm saying that the life of the child was a blessing. If it weren't, then the death of the child wouldn't be so painful.
19-02-2014, 03:22 PM
(19-02-2014 01:19 PM)donotwant Wrote:  Instead of saying there is no God you can say also that God is evil or doesn't give a shit.

Yeah, we can't know there isn't a God. He could be Cthulhu with a beard, or something. That is also logically consistent with the stories and the stuff we can actually see in the really real world.

(19-02-2014 03:05 PM)alpha male Wrote:  

Yeah, and neither was his 13 months of suffering, either. Praise Jesus!
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
19-02-2014, 08:49 PM
There's something I really love about this story; God is useless, yes, we're used to that, it's a given by now, but there are a bunch of normal, mortal people that were able to help the kid. Even if they couldn't save him they were able to postpone everything or make him happy.

It reinforces God's non-existence while simultaneously giving just a little boost to my faith in humanity.
[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
20-02-2014, 08:32 AM
(19-02-2014 08:49 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  There's something I really love about this story; God is useless, yes, we're used to that, it's a given by now, but there are a bunch of normal, mortal people that were able to help the kid. Even if they couldn't save him they were able to postpone everything or make him happy.

It reinforces God's non-existence while simultaneously giving just a little boost to my faith in humanity.
Reminds me of a song I heard yesterday. A man says to God, "Why don't you do something about suffering?" God replies, "I did - I made you."
20-02-2014, 08:45 AM
(19-02-2014 08:49 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  There's something I really love about this story; God is useless, yes, we're used to that, it's a given by now, but there are a bunch of normal, mortal people that were able to help the kid. Even if they couldn't save him they were able to postpone everything or make him happy.

The outpouring from other humans is heart warming, it is what gives me hope for our species.

Of course someone like alfalfa male will co-opt it and say those people were motivated by Jesus' teachings or some such blather. Everything good is because of Jeebus, everything bad is not... Facepalm Religious delusions have no boundary.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post