God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 08:53 AM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 12:00 PM by Full Circle.)
RE: God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)
(19-02-2014 03:05 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 01:16 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  To all the believers that drop by TTA and insist on a personal God try and wrap your heads around a three year old that has untreatable bilateral Wilms tumor. Go ahead with your mental gymnastics, justification and explanations...or perhaps come to the same conclusion I have... there is no God.
Why...do the parents feel that the three years with the child was a net evil?

Troll.

I am beyond being surprised or shocked by anything a bible-thumping, close-minded, reality-denying, Jeebus-justifying dingleberry says anymore.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 09:21 AM (This post was last modified: 21-02-2014 12:42 AM by CleverUsername.)
(20-02-2014 08:45 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 08:49 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  There's something I really love about this story; God is useless, yes, we're used to that, it's a given by now, but there are a bunch of normal, mortal people that were able to help the kid. Even if they couldn't save him they were able to postpone everything or make him happy.

It reinforces God's non-existence while simultaneously giving just a little boost to my faith in humanity.

The outpouring from other humans is heart warming, it is what gives me hope for our species.

Of course someone like alfalfa male will co-opt it and say those people were motivated by Jesus' teachings or some such blather. Everything good is because of Jeebus, everything bad is not... Facepalm Religious delusions have no boundary.

Eh, he's effectively asserting that God uses overly complicated, completely unnecessary, ineffectual plans. It's one of the most accurate things I've ever heard a Christian say.

I get a kick out of the idea God had anything to do with the kid meeting Buzz Lightyear, though. God always struck me as more of a Sid type of person.
20-02-2014, 09:42 AM
(20-02-2014 09:21 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Eh, he's effectively asserting that God uses overly complicated, completely unnecessary, ineffectual plans. It's one of the most accurate things I've ever heard a Christian say.
I disagree that it's unnecessary. I think there are things to be learned through suffering, and through comforting others in their suffering.
20-02-2014, 09:55 AM
(20-02-2014 09:42 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:21 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Eh, he's effectively asserting that God uses overly complicated, completely unnecessary, ineffectual plans. It's one of the most accurate things I've ever heard a Christian say.
I disagree that it's unnecessary. I think there are things to be learned through suffering, and through comforting others in their suffering.

What could they possibly learn? All I can think of is how to do deal with suffering which would mean God made suffering to prepare us for suffering, which...actually sounds like something he'd do, I guess.

And what about that little boy? What's he going to learn from his ridiculously short and most likely very hard life? And why him, out of all the thousands of babies born every day?

There are a ton of people out there who will never have to deal with the pain of losing a kid; why don't they have to learn the lesson?
[+] 3 users Like CleverUsername's post
20-02-2014, 10:01 AM
(19-02-2014 03:05 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Why...do the parents feel that the three years with the child was a net evil?

Ah, the classic "silver lining" approach. It's often followed by "You can't know love without suffering." There isn't much else to say when someone has to bury their child. But of course, you've gotta say something good about your god.

Here's one for your bumper sticker collection:
You can't appreciate logic, truth, and reason without first being exposed to faith.

If Jesus died for our sins, why is there still sin? If man was created from dust, why is there still dust? If Americans came from Europe, why are there still Europeans?
20-02-2014, 12:01 PM
(20-02-2014 09:55 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  And what about that little boy?

You hit the nail on the head with this simple, yet obvious question. My bet is that am doesn't respond to this question.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-02-2014, 12:03 PM
(20-02-2014 09:55 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:42 AM)alpha male Wrote:  I disagree that it's unnecessary. I think there are things to be learned through suffering, and through comforting others in their suffering.

What could they possibly learn?

I learned the last time I talked to someone similar on another forum that when you mix Christian apologetics and some of the more ugly parts of the really real world, you get some really creepy excuses. I can't even put it into words how appalling some of this shit is.

And then the irony sets in when they wonder how we can be offended by their beliefs and how we could have morality without God.
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
20-02-2014, 12:06 PM
(20-02-2014 09:55 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  What could they possibly learn?
Courage, humility, sympathy, empathy, gratitude, what's really important, to name a few.
Quote:And what about that little boy? What's he going to learn from his ridiculously short and most likely very hard life? And why him, out of all the thousands of babies born every day?
The little boy doesn't seem to be the one complaining.
Quote:There are a ton of people out there who will never have to deal with the pain of losing a kid; why don't they have to learn the lesson?
Uh, cause different people are different, maybe? I praise god have been blessed with three children and haven't lost any, and pray that I never do. God did allow me to endure fifteen years of drug addiction before that. Instead of bitching about the lost years, I'm grateful for what I have.

BTW, is the grief any less for atheists? If you don't believe god exists, shouldn't you hate evolution for producing these things?
20-02-2014, 12:11 PM
(20-02-2014 12:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  You hit the nail on the head with this simple, yet obvious question. My bet is that am doesn't respond to this question.
The little boy was given life. So far no one has disputed that his life was a net good, and that doesn't even consider the possibility of eternal life in heaven.

Unfortunately it's all too common for people to be given something good, but rather than be happy about it, they get angry because it could have been something better. Despite the suffering, I think life is a net good, so I'm grateful for it.
20-02-2014, 12:27 PM
(20-02-2014 12:06 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
Quote:And what about that little boy? What's he going to learn from his ridiculously short and most likely very hard life? And why him, out of all the thousands of babies born every day?
The little boy doesn't seem to be the one complaining.

That you think this makes any sense at all tells us that you are utterly delusional in your faith, that you will say anything to excuse your god for suffering.

You are a creepy, unfeeling, despicable excuse for a human being. If there actually were a hell, you'd belong in it.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post