God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 12:32 PM
RE: God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)
I don't.

If life is pure suffering, it's not good. This is why I don't damn people who commit suicide. Who am I to pass judgement on the limit of another persons suffering?

There is one other point. It's implied that life belongs to god, that we owe our existence and life to him. That he owns us, like a plow or a horse or a slave. Bull. Shit. No one owns the life of another. The idea is revolting.

This boy spent three years on earth. Most of it likely in a great deal of pain. His entire existence was short and painful. And you have the gall to say he should thank god for allowing him the chance to suffer and die. What sort of sick shit is that?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes natachan's post
20-02-2014, 12:35 PM
(20-02-2014 09:42 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:21 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  Eh, he's effectively asserting that God uses overly complicated, completely unnecessary, ineffectual plans. It's one of the most accurate things I've ever heard a Christian say.
I disagree that it's unnecessary. I think there are things to be learned through suffering, and through comforting others in their suffering.

What did this child learn, Alpha?

Patau syndrome Warning! Graphic image.

Doc
20-02-2014, 12:38 PM
Or this?

Anencephaly Warning! Graphic image.

Doc
20-02-2014, 12:45 PM
Or this?

Remember, Jeremiah 1:4–5, "The word of the Lord came to me, saying, 'Before I formed you in the womb I knew you, before you were born I set you apart; I appointed you as a prophet to the nations'"?

And, Psa. 139:13–16, "You created my inmost being; you knit me together in my mother's womb. I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well. My frame was not hidden from you when I was made in the secret place. When I was woven together in the depths of the earth, your eyes saw my unformed body"

Omphalocele Warning! Extremely graphic image.

Doc
20-02-2014, 01:33 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 03:32 PM by CleverUsername.)
(20-02-2014 12:06 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:55 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  What could they possibly learn?
Courage, humility, sympathy, empathy, gratitude, what's really important, to name a few.

Courage and sympathy are both things you need because of hardship. Removing hardship removes the reason for them.

For everything else (actually, include both of them), there are other, nonlethal ways to gain them. Why is God so unimaginative his solution is always to kill something?

Shocking...No, no I'm pretty sure your toddler son falls under "what's really important".

Quote:The little boy doesn't seem to be the one complaining.

Um, yes, an inability to speak, think, or do anything, is often a symptom of BEING DEAD. That doesn't mean it's ok that they died, it doesn't mean it's ok that they lost all their potential and will never get a chance to be happy and live their lives.

Also, the kid being dead isn't a big deal, but fear of death is a major reason religion still exists. I think this counts as irony.

Quote:Uh, cause different people are different, maybe? I praise god have been blessed with three children and haven't lost any, and pray that I never do. God did allow me to endure fifteen years of drug addiction before that. Instead of bitching about the lost years, I'm grateful for what I have.

So, the people that never recover and struggle for the rest of their lives, or lose their lives...what's with them?

Also, dude, you shouldn't have to pray to anyone not to kill your children. It should be a given.

Quote:BTW, is the grief any less for atheists? If you don't believe god exists, shouldn't you hate evolution for producing these things?

See, that's the interesting thing about science: No matter how much you hate it, it doesn't go away. Even if I did hate evolution, it wouldn't mean jack squat.

Also, the reason people hate the idea of God making this stuff is because he's supposed to be a conscious, all knowing, all powerful, all loving creature. Evolution is not, therefore people don't get mad at it like they do the idea of God.
20-02-2014, 02:37 PM
Alpha, Chas has said it but I want to add my voice to the list of people who abhor your line of thinking.

As a non-believer I am saddened by this child's suffering and hope that someday our greatest minds will be able to prevent or cure such conditions despite the disingenuous believers who will rejoice in the test "god" gave us and how we overcame the challenge, glory be to god.

I also don't think that anone or anything has it out for us. The cancer, diseases, virii are all products of the magnificent environment we live in. Those things suck but they are part of our existence. We can either give up, attribute some immoral motive to an unproven supernatural being, or accept and overcome. I personally like the accept and overcome approach.
20-02-2014, 04:04 PM
(20-02-2014 12:35 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:42 AM)alpha male Wrote:  I disagree that it's unnecessary. I think there are things to be learned through suffering, and through comforting others in their suffering.

What did this child learn, Alpha?

Patau syndrome Warning! Graphic image.

Doc

Yoohoo. Alpha. Still waiting.
Doc
20-02-2014, 05:30 PM
(20-02-2014 12:32 PM)natachan Wrote:  This boy spent three years on earth. Most of it likely in a great deal of pain. His entire existence was short and painful. And you have the gall to say he should thank god for allowing him the chance to suffer and die. What sort of sick shit is that?
Three years on earth is insignificant compared to eternity in heaven. You guys frequently claim that temporal sins are insignificant compared to eternity in hell. You can't have it both ways.
[+] 1 user Likes alpha male's post
20-02-2014, 05:35 PM
(20-02-2014 04:04 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Yoohoo. Alpha. Still waiting.
Doc
As most afflicted children die within a year, the child himself probably learned nothing.

Those who survive longer hopefully learn that people can love them even though they're different from others. Some of them may unfortunately learn that people like you will pretend to care about them in order to win a point but not really care and help them.
20-02-2014, 05:43 PM
(20-02-2014 05:35 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 04:04 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  Yoohoo. Alpha. Still waiting.
Doc
As most afflicted children die within a year, the child himself probably learned nothing.

What was the point of the child's life then? To teach a lesson to its parents or caregivers? Remember, your God had a direct hand in fashioning that child.

Doc