God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-02-2014, 06:16 PM
RE: God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)
(20-02-2014 06:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  That is from a 2009 article written by someone else. Facepalm
NSS. Don't incorrectly read things into my posts then act like I'm the idiot.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-02-2014, 06:24 PM
(20-02-2014 06:13 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 06:01 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  "...a net good"... so that's how it works with your god?

That is so fucked up.

Child's parents: "Dear God, why don't you answer our prayers and cure our child?"

God: "Hey, what else do you want from me? I gave the kid three years, sure the poor boy is in pain and the family is heartbroken but look at the bright side, I could have only given him TWO years!"

Meanwhile alfalfa male is grateful for it! And why not? It's not his kid.

Goddamn you're a sick fuck.

I'm used to hearing the "best of all possible worlds" defense brought up to figure out why God uses things like this toward his net good. It's a weird defense, but I guess it's slightly more thought out than "who are you to question God!?".

That being said, this looks like a combination of that, and some new "Hey, God could always have made it worse" defense. I'll be honest: that's a new one to me. I've never actually seen that defense used before. Awesome.

Awesome in the most twisted of ways. And the central question here still lingers...what about the little boy? What does he learn from dying at three? I suppose that to alfalfa the kid is just a prop.

He says he'll have an eternity in heaven...well crap my pants, he could have had that too without the disease don't you think? I mean as long as we are suspending disbelief concerning eternal life, heaven and 72 virgins why not expect from the all-powerful, omniscient, omnibenevolent one a wee bit of, do I dare say, humane treatment?

You can tell that a species only two chromosomes away from a chimpanzee made this whole shit up.

https://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Human_A...osomes.htm

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-02-2014, 06:28 PM
(20-02-2014 06:24 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Awesome in the most twisted of ways. And the central question here still lingers...what about the little boy? What does he learn from dying at three? I suppose that to alfalfa the kid is just a prop.

You can tell that a species only two chromosomes away from a chimpanzee made this whole shit up.

https://www.mun.ca/biology/scarr/Human_A...osomes.htm

FC,
Remember the children of Bethlehem and its surroundings that Herod the Great slew when Jesus was born? What was the purpose of their lives? They were all less than 2 years old. Apparently, God created them solely to fulfill a prophecy in Jeremiah about the birth of the Messiah. True props indeed.

And please don't insult the chimpanzees.

Doc
[+] 2 users Like docskeptic's post
20-02-2014, 06:30 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 06:51 PM by Full Circle.)
(20-02-2014 06:16 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 06:12 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  That is from a 2009 article written by someone else. Facepalm
NSS. Don't incorrectly read things into my posts then act like I'm the idiot.

You passed it off as Brayden's mother saying this, a bit of misdirection don't you think? If you're going to be disingenuous don't get all pissy when I call you out on it.

Here's what the grandmother had to say about Brayden:

Brayden's paternal grandmother, Dolly Chandler, said she had just baby-sat Brayden a few days before his terminal diagnosis and he seemed fine.

"My heart hurts so bad," Chandler said. "He's only 3. It's not right. It's not fair."

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
20-02-2014, 06:31 PM
(20-02-2014 06:28 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  FC,
Remember the children of Bethlehem and its surroundings that Herod the Great slew when Jesus was born? What was the purpose of their lives? They were all less than 2 years old. Apparently, God created them solely to fulfill a prophecy in Jeremiah about the birth of the Messiah. True props indeed.

And please don't insult the chimpanzees.

Doc

Sorry Doc, I have seen chimps exhibit far more empathy than alfalfa here. I take it back.

[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
20-02-2014, 06:38 PM
FC,
You're right. It's an odd thing. Every theist that I have come across has had something happen to their empathy. The sufferings, killings, diseases, rape, that we read about whether in the Bible or today are all justifiable if performed in the name of God. The Muslim suicide bomber is no different from our resident theists who says that it's OK for people to die or suffer as long as it is in God's will.

It's falls to science to correct (and someday soon) prevent some of God's mistakes.
Doc
20-02-2014, 06:41 PM
(19-02-2014 03:20 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(19-02-2014 03:11 PM)Chas Wrote:  Are you serious? You're going to try to spin the death of a three year-old into some kind of blessing from on high?
No, I'm saying that the life of the child was a blessing. If it weren't, then the death of the child wouldn't be so painful.

This comment is disgusting and twisted.

"Gee, thanks, all powerful being who can grant magical wishes! Thank you so much for this sweet baby. I am so thankful you gave him a life... a painful and/or struggling life with no carefree childhood. I loved him and you took him away. But he's in a better place, yes?"

It's a sad, distorted way of looking "at the bright side."

There is no "life" (figuratively speaking) when the quality of life is suppressed by disease and debilitating illness.

"It was life, often unsatisfying, frequently cruel, usually boring, sometimes beautiful, once in awhile exhilarating." -Stephen King
[+] 2 users Like Peanut's post
20-02-2014, 06:47 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 06:52 PM by Full Circle.)
(20-02-2014 06:38 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  FC,
You're right. It's an odd thing. Every theist that I have come across has had something happen to their empathy. The sufferings, killings, diseases, rape, that we read about whether in the Bible or today are all justifiable if performed in the name of God. The Muslim suicide bomber is no different from our resident theists who says that it's OK for people to die or suffer as long as it is in God's will.

It's falls to science to correct (and someday soon) prevent some of God's mistakes.
Doc

It is such a strange dichotomy what I see in the world of the believers. Preach one thing and do another. Preach love and go to war. Preach tolerance and damn anyone who is not practicing your particular flavor of religion. Preach humility and come here bible-thumping. My God loves us all of us...but he has the fires in Hell all warmed up if you choose wrongly.

The list is endless and sometimes it gets to be too much to ignore and it make me a bit jumpy.

20-02-2014, 08:01 PM (This post was last modified: 20-02-2014 08:06 PM by CleverUsername.)
(20-02-2014 05:49 PM)alpha male Wrote:  Suffering isn't necessarily lethal. Don't know where you got that from.

Probably the fact that it was lethal in the case actually being discussed.
Quote:Sure is...but do all people realize that? Do you ever hear of a child dying and think, "Hey, I haven't been spending enough time with my kids, and they're what's really important"? I have. Lots of people have. Listen to some Harry Chapin.

And we're back to God having one solution for everything; death. Don't let someone have a near death experience to just shake them up a little bit, don't just you know make them feel more love for their kids, kill someone!

And I guess it must suck to be someone who seriously can't spend time with their kids due to schedules or something and hear this.

Quote:God gave them the potential, and they'll get eternity to be happy.

And then that potential was promptly squashed before the kid got the chance to even talk properly.

So, what's the point of this whole Earth thing if people are just going to go to heaven for eternity afterward? All that's being effected is the amount of souls that supposedly go to hell (that is, if God didn't make this ridiculously short Earth existence for no reason, no one would go to hell).

Quote:BTW, why don't you guys bitch about someone who dies at 60? What's the cutoff point of enough life?

Not freakin 3. Sixty year olds have had plenty of time to live, to make friends, fall in love, have kids, have a career, travel, do whatever they wanted to. But 3? The kid didn't even have time to do anything.

Quote:The kid being dead is a very big deal.

Then why is it so completely ok and not something to be upset over?

Quote:They reject god's grace.

Right. Because no faithful religious person ever dies from something like this.

Quote:The Bible doesn't say he's all loving. It clearly portrays other aspects of him.

People insist he's all loving. Note the OP of this thread specifically targets the post to people, not to just mocking the book.
20-02-2014, 09:15 PM
The sick fuck in this thread is Alpha.