God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-02-2014, 05:57 AM
RE: God Works in Mysterious Ways (or God is such a Prankster)
(20-02-2014 09:15 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  The sick fuck in this thread is Alpha.
What about the examples I gave of people affected by congenital conditions who say they've learned from the situation and are grateful for it? Are they sick fucks?

Yes, I think that it's better to learn and grow from a horrible situation than to sink into despair. That makes me a sick fuck?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-02-2014, 07:32 AM
Alpha,
Please address the issue I brought up earlier. Your God created these unfortunate children. He made them in the womb and molded them the way he saw fit (see the verses I quoted earlier). Did he deliberately fashion some without heads or faces or limbs to teach people lessons? How did he decide which children to afflct and which to spare? Randomly? Eenie-meenie-miney-mo?

Doc
[+] 1 user Likes docskeptic's post
21-02-2014, 07:52 AM
(21-02-2014 05:57 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(20-02-2014 09:15 PM)devilsadvoc8 Wrote:  The sick fuck in this thread is Alpha.
What about the examples I gave of people affected by congenital conditions who say they've learned from the situation and are grateful for it? Are they sick fucks?

Yes, I think that it's better to learn and grow from a horrible situation than to sink into despair. That makes me a sick fuck?

Alpha,
Yes, it makes you all that. Because you are claiming that some people deserve to be afflicted in order to learn lessons such as compassion, patience, whatever. We also think its better to learn from a horrible situation but we don't blame the child or the parent.

From your perspective, however, if the parent did not need a lesson, the child would not have suffered. Therefore, the parent is culpable. For adding insult to injury, I think you deserve what you were called.

Doc
[+] 4 users Like docskeptic's post
21-02-2014, 09:10 AM
(21-02-2014 07:52 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alpha,
Yes, it makes you all that. Because you are claiming that some people deserve to be afflicted in order to learn lessons such as compassion, patience, whatever. We also think its better to learn from a horrible situation but we don't blame the child or the parent.
In a link I posted earlier:
http://www.consciousmoms.org/?p=625
the mother of the special needs child shares my basic position, ascribing the problems of her child to "the Universe." Is she a sick fuck for thinking she could be a better person with such a lesson, and being grateful for the child she received and the lessons that came along?
Quote:Let me start by telling you a bit about myself before I had my daughter. I was your classic, Type-A overachiever who desperately wanted everyone around her to be pleased with her at all times. (In fact, I’m pretty sure I went to law school to make other people happy. Not the brightest idea, to be sure.) My sense of self relied heavily on others’ opinions of me, and my expectations of myself required nothing short of perfection at all things. This made trying new things very difficult, because it’s shockingly difficult to be “perfect” at something you’ve never done before. That didn’t stop me from trying, however. (It also didn’t stop me from feeling totally dejected when, surprise, surprise, I didn’t live up to those daunting expectations.)
This perfectionistic, overachieving, people-pleaser set out to parent in much the same way I did everything else. While I was pregnant, I envisioned having a little doppelganger, whom I could teach big words, and dress in cute clothes, and, I suppose, in hindsight, teach to seek perfection in all things, just as I had.
Well, the Universe came up with a great way to rid me of all of this nonsense. The Universe gave me a bright, charming, beautiful daughter with special needs. When we first became aware of our daughter’s special needs, it was a huge shock to my system. My plans for my new daughter’s life had never factored in such a possibility. What followed was a tremendous growth period for me that gave me some startling lessons in what really matters in this life. These are lessons that have changed my life and made me a better parent. Though the process has, at times, been challenging, I am so grateful to have been given the opportunity to learn them. And I’m still learning all the time. I thought I’d share some of these lessons with you:
Quote:From your perspective, however, if the parent did not need a lesson, the child would not have suffered. Therefore, the parent is culpable. For adding insult to injury, I think you deserve what you were called.
Straw man. Many people can be affected by a special needs child, not just the parent. Further, a lesson that promotes growth is not a punishment, as you spin it here.
21-02-2014, 09:17 AM
(21-02-2014 09:10 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 07:52 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Alpha,
In a link I posted earlier:
http://www.consciousmoms.org/?p=625
the mother of the special needs child shares my basic position, ascribing the problems of her child to "the Universe." Is she a sick fuck for thinking she could be a better person with such a lesson, and being grateful for the child she received and the lessons that came along?
Straw man. Many people can be affected by a special needs child, not just the parent. Further, a lesson that promotes growth is not a punishment, as you spin it here.

Are you equating your God with the Universe? The woman can be forgiven for thinking what she did since the Universe is unthinking and uncaring. You, on the other hand ascribe the same actions to a thinking, planning God. That's what makes you sick.

Now tell me how God malforms the child.

Doc
21-02-2014, 09:25 AM
(21-02-2014 09:17 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Are you equating your God with the Universe? The woman can be forgiven for thinking what she did since the Universe is unthinking and uncaring.
What is there to be forgiven?
21-02-2014, 09:56 AM
(21-02-2014 09:25 AM)alpha male Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 09:17 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  Are you equating your God with the Universe? The woman can be forgiven for thinking what she did since the Universe is unthinking and uncaring.
What is there to be forgiven?

How does God malform the child?

Doc
21-02-2014, 12:13 PM
(21-02-2014 09:56 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 09:25 AM)alpha male Wrote:  What is there to be forgiven?

How does God malform the child?

Doc
I would say that your username should be artful dodger, except...you're not particularly artful about it.

I've presented people who have lived through these things and have a like position to mine. All the people calling me a sick fuck are also calling them sick fucks, or they're found to be in an ad hoc or special pleading fallacy.
21-02-2014, 12:45 PM
(21-02-2014 12:13 PM)alpha male Wrote:  
(21-02-2014 09:56 AM)docskeptic Wrote:  How does God malform the child?

Doc
I would say that your username should be artful dodger, except...you're not particularly artful about it.

I've presented people who have lived through these things and have a like position to mine. All the people calling me a sick fuck are also calling them sick fucks, or they're found to be in an ad hoc or special pleading fallacy.

How does God malform the child? He's responsible for making it. I've asked this question twice.

Doc
21-02-2014, 12:57 PM
(21-02-2014 12:45 PM)docskeptic Wrote:  How does God malform the child? He's responsible for making it. I've asked this question twice.
I don't know.

What is the woman above to be forgiven for? I've asked this question twice.