God and Motivation

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-01-2013, 03:56 AM
God and Motivation
As a theist I was one helluva lazy bastard, but I will admit god did motivate me to do things as few in number they were. As an atheist I'm just lazy, I do ,things but I need a serious motivator to get my long term goals in action, so I was thinking about creating my own god. Not as in a deity based in human form. But a presence which would be given 'sacred' meaning. I was thinking about nature, I love nature, and I often don't differentiate the words 'nature' and 'cosmos' because the two really go hand in hand if you think of nature as everything even the things outside of direct contact with organic life.

I suppose I should say I feel as though I need something to take old god's place. When I was 16 nature kind of did take it's place for a little while, but then I became lonely because I was the only atheist in my area, then I became depressed, then I became cynically angry... now let me tell you HATE was a REAL motivator for me. But now I've ruled hatred as a corrupting emotion and do not allow myself to feel any strong emotions for that reason, they corrupt rational thought. But a constant steady stream of compassion never hurt anyone, especially when it's directed to something that can not emotionally harm you, though it can physically harm you, and by physically I mean it can kill you.

Your thoughts?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-01-2013, 03:17 PM
RE: God and Motivation
God motivated me to knock on doors and tell people about God. That's pretty much it. Undecided

Through profound pain comes profound knowledge.
Ridi, Pagliaccio, sul tuo amore infranto! Ridi del duol, che t'avvelena il cor!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
15-01-2013, 04:02 PM
(15-01-2013 03:17 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  God motivated me to knock on doors and tell people about God. That's pretty much it. Undecided
Get off my lawn.

[+] 3 users Like Nappa's post
15-01-2013, 08:45 PM
Never had a gun trained on me, but I did have a woman send her dobermans after me, once.

Considering the fact that I was about 13, I'd say it was rather uncalled for. Can't really blame her, though. Blush

[+] 1 user Likes Misanthropik's post
15-01-2013, 09:02 PM
(15-01-2013 08:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Never had a gun trained on me, but I did have a woman send her dobermans after me, once.

Considering the fact that I was about 13, I'd say it was rather uncalled for. Can't really blame her, though. Blush
Are you sure it wasnt Dom?

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
16-01-2013, 08:03 AM
(15-01-2013 09:02 PM)bemore Wrote:  
(15-01-2013 08:45 PM)Misanthropik Wrote:  Never had a gun trained on me, but I did have a woman send her dobermans after me, once.

Are you sure it wasnt Dom?
Not entirely... Consider

19-01-2013, 06:43 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2013 06:57 AM by Luminon.)

I am pretty sure God kept me from ever encountering those folks knocking on people's doors. For all my life we had Jehovah's witnesses somewhere around and they came once or twice per year, but I missed them every single time. The bastard knows what I want, he knows I want them to come, I want them to sit down, have a coffee or tea and tell me about God. So I can ask innocuous questions. Ask them what they think things are. Politicians have their bodyguards, churchgoers have their God to steer them away from dangerous people. Dangerous with their thoughts, not their dobermans Big Grin

(14-01-2013 03:56 AM)Nappa Wrote:  As a theist I was one helluva lazy bastard, but I will admit god did motivate me to do things as few in number they were. As an atheist I'm just lazy, I do ,things but I need a serious motivator to get my long term goals in action, so I was thinking about creating my own god. Not as in a deity based in human form. But a presence which would be given 'sacred' meaning. I was thinking about nature, I love nature, and I often don't differentiate the words 'nature' and 'cosmos' because the two really go hand in hand if you think of nature as everything even the things outside of direct contact with organic life.

I suppose I should say I feel as though I need something to take old god's place. When I was 16 nature kind of did take it's place for a little while, but then I became lonely because I was the only atheist in my area, then I became depressed, then I became cynically angry... now let me tell you HATE was a REAL motivator for me. But now I've ruled hatred as a corrupting emotion and do not allow myself to feel any strong emotions for that reason, they corrupt rational thought. But a constant steady stream of compassion never hurt anyone, especially when it's directed to something that can not emotionally harm you, though it can physically harm you, and by physically I mean it can kill you.

Your thoughts?
If you want your own god, you have to experience it. I did it through meditation and this experience came through to the daily life. But this presence comes and goes when it wants, not when I want. The presence is wise and loving, but it's not personal. It is to me like a brain is to the hand, a brain does not tell the hand in words what to do or what's ahead. It tries to get a control of the hand in the best interest of them both, through the nerve system. It gives protection and meaning, because the hand is its only means of expression in the real world, and this is the hand's purpose. If the hand doesn't convey feeling or obey impulses well enough, the brain might let it bump around and get hurt a little, so it gains some orientating sensory input as for what they both want and don't want. However, the brain will not start this process unless the hand shows some beginnings of steadier responsiveness, that isn't just a random twitch that disappears under the next trial.
The thing I want to say, if it's a god, it's both god immanent and transcendent. It's not a separate presence, as the churchmen of West imagine it. It's not a part of ourselves, we're a part of it and it takes us so. We're not less important to it than a hand is important to the brain, imprisoned in skull and imprisoned with the whole body. I'd say this describes the relationship better than anything else, we need each other. There's a lot about this concept in the Theosophic literature, but it's an influence that acted upon people in all ages and traditions.

I don't know how much you'll understand, but it's a matter of experience. I can see when someone had the same experience, with the same "god"-like presence that brings us up to the purpose. For example, read the story with the mirror by Robert Fulghum. I've seen similar concepts in more writers than just him, I know what he means.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!
19-01-2013, 07:04 AM
If you're talking about the Christian god, he left a lot unfinished. Seems to me he has ADHD. That and the worst temper.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
19-01-2013, 07:41 AM (This post was last modified: 19-01-2013 07:52 AM by Luminon.)
(19-01-2013 07:04 AM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  If you're talking about the Christian god, he left a lot unfinished. Seems to me he has ADHD. That and the worst temper.
You say Christian god, but you actually mean the Jewish god. Christian god is a contradictory mix of the Jewish god and mystical leanings of St Paul, fused together into a bizarre whole by the needs of the Byzantine and Roman emperors.

It's difficult to make out the pure mystical material in Bible. Let's consider the Paul's "Christ in us, the hope of glory". Freud said we have id, ego and superego. I'd say we can develop an inner awareness of one more thing, a super-superego, that acts upon and transforms the lower Freudian trinity. I don't say it's always pleasant, (and sometimes it is Tongue ) but it's expected from something that considers us a limb of itself that needs some exercise to work out the cramps, so it can be used for some really awesome and meaningful work out there in the world.

None of it of course makes sense, because this process is very slow. Unless you consider the idea of multiple incarnations, which was common at the time among mystical sects like Pharisees and maybe Essenes.

If you claim there are nuances to principles, there are no nuances to getting arrested or shot for disobeying the power.
The Venus Project
FreeDomain Radio - The greatest philosophy show on the web!