God and dying children

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-05-2011, 06:57 PM

RE: God and dying children
If course you also have to pay close attention to the type of facility you work in, if it is owned by a religious organization you would have to be very oblique in your answers.

> Thank you for your response. The owner of our facility is a great guy, some of our senior management on the other hand..... are hard core Seventh day Adventist. Christmas is the worse time of year, that's when all the church groups come in singing carols and telling the kids to keep praying for miracles. I have to leave the building at these times. however, for the most part, we are lucky with very little religion in the facility.

Blue skies
Quote this message in a reply
17-05-2011, 06:57 PM

Heart RE: God and dying children
Firstly let me say, Thank you! Jumping Atheist for caring for the suffering and the dying among us, who begin this life all ready to leave it slowly and through suffering. Sad You have a strength of heart and a courage that many do not. And your compassion is what makes you a treasure among the little treasures. [Image: 1.gif] Big Hugs!

I think, depending on the age of the child, that they may not understand your disbelief in the event they've been raised to hold faith. If they were older I'd certainly be honest and yet gentle about how I don't believe as they do.
In the meantime, if I was asked about the after life in general, I'd hope I could keep a straight face without balling like a baby knowing I was speaking to one who is presumed certain to find out. And then I'd ask them what they imagined it's like.

It's a question that can give someone hope, if they have faith, even non-religious hope, there's something far better awaiting after. I'd honor that and I'd be open to the little one who shared their hopes and dreams of a place without pain, without IV's, without treatments that make them sick, lose their appetite, their hair, the precious little sense of self they use to know before arriving on those sheets in a big white sterile atmosphere meant to keep them safe, hope to make them well, and ultimately say goodbye.

I'd bring them flowers, if they were allowed. And teddy bears, if they liked them. And if they did want to imagine a heaven, or a giant flower garden where all their favorite animals awaited their arrival and would play and talk with them eternally, I'd bring sketch pad's so they could draw, or color, their hope and dreams for a better place that awaits. And I'd color with them, even as an atheist. Because in the face of a dying child, my heaven would be to see them leave that bed and walk into the paradise that is a real life where sunshine kisses their hair, and bird songs greet their health restored and flowers color the path ahead where they shall walk for decades to come,while outliving the both of us.
17-05-2011, 07:33 PM

Thank you all the kind words, but I really feel that I am the fortunate one to work with such great kids. This was the first Job I got after becoming a nurse at the age of forty and all through school I never thought I could work with children.

Otoh, It did not take me long to completely become an Atheist after getting this job, any god who would allow children to suffer like this... And all my Christian friends who try to offer up excuses for god for doing this is pathetic.

Blue skies
17-05-2011, 11:34 PM
@ Jumping atheist

Can I ask you something?
How do you deal with such stress of loosing little patients regularly? How do you cope with life? Tell us something about yourself please.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-05-2011, 11:00 AM

It's never easy when we lose any of our kids, although some losses are a little harder to take than others. Some of our kids come to us already in a permanent vegetative state, so we never really got to know who the child was, their personality and so on. These children were often in some type of horrific accident and when the Doctor told the family it's time to let them go and turn the machines off, these families said no and they then ended up with us. Sometimes they never to see their child again. When these children die, it's for the most part a relief that they are no longer suffering.

The kids that come to us who are completely alert and orientated are another story, these ones we become very attached too. We have some kids who have been there the whole time (7 years) that I have worked there. Many of us become more or less the only thing close too family that they will ever know. It always amazes me how these kids deal with their situations, their bravery and their lack of anger about what has happened to them. When these kids pass away, it never is easy, to be honest, my first reaction is just sorrow and grief and then a lot of anger. Nothing pisses me off more than to hear a someone spout off the old "Their in a better place" or "It's gods plan." I have a problem with the anger thing after a child dies, so I think my co-workers know better then to bring the god thing up with me.

As for me, I live a pretty normal and boring life. I'm divorced with a daughter off in college, I feel fortunate that my X wife and I are still friends even though she is a devout born again. I would like to think my daughter got my skepticism, she thinks the whole god thing is nuts. I liked too travel, in the past couple of years I have spent some time in Syria, Lebanon,Turkey and Egypt. I became an avid skydiver at the age of 45 and try to jump on most weekends, for a few minutes each weekend, when I'm in freefall, it's as close to a real heaven as I know I will ever get. This really helps me deal with all my stress. I spend a crazy amount of time studying the NT and related books. I figure there is no better way to beat your opponents than to know their side of the argument better than they do. I really enjoy reading anything by the NT textural critic Bart Erhman.

Hope I did not bore you too much.

Blue skies
18-05-2011, 03:27 PM
(18-05-2011 11:00 AM)Jumping Atheist Wrote:  These children were often in some type of horrific accident and when the Doctor told the family it's time to let them go and turn the machines off, these families said no and they then ended up with us. Sometimes they never to see their child again.
Again a terrible example on how religion is NO guaranty for humane behavior.

Respect to you.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply