God and the law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2011, 09:03 AM
God and the law
If a true believer told you to do something, and threatened to ask his god to strike you dead if you don't, is that not uttering a death threat? Would the charge stand up in court? If so, wouldn't the believer have to admit that there is no god, that the threat was empty, in order to escape the law?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2011, 09:05 AM
RE: God and the law
I have begun to realize that the worst threat someone can give you is "go to hell." Hell is supposed to literally be a place of eternal punishment and is supposed to be worse than death. I have decided that this is a threat and not simply a statement of discontent.

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
[+] 1 user Likes TheBeardedDude's post
20-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Sooooooo what? I'm lost, are we supposed to be angry or something? If people tell me to go to hell I just glare at them and they shut up. And as for utering death threats like god striking people down...don't become like the rest of the morons who sue for dumbass things.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
20-10-2011, 09:30 AM
(20-10-2011 09:15 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  Sooooooo what? I'm lost, are we supposed to be angry or something? If people tell me to go to hell I just glare at them and they shut up. And as for utering death threats like god striking people down...don't become like the rest of the morons who sue for dumbass things.

Maybe I didn't make it clear. I was wondering about criminal charges. I never said anything about lawsuits.
20-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Maybe we could prosecute based on hate-crime laws?

“Science is simply common sense at its best, that is, rigidly accurate in observation, and merciless to fallacy in logic.”
—Thomas Henry Huxley
20-10-2011, 10:02 AM
(20-10-2011 09:03 AM)jimmygun Wrote:  If a true believer told you to do something, and threatened to ask his god to strike you dead if you don't, is that not uttering a death threat? Would the charge stand up in court? If so, wouldn't the believer have to admit that there is no god, that the threat was empty, in order to escape the law?

No believer should ask you to do something with a consequence for not doing it especially for his god to strike you down. Is this in relation to anything in particular? Because this believer is sadly mistaken. It would be up to God to make that decision and not some man to decide and call up such an order. And surely nothing would happen anyways because if you truly believe in God you know he would not do such a thing.
20-10-2011, 11:02 AM
..... I would imagine that a person wouldn't get very far using the law on that one. The only way it would have an credence is if you were also a believer. I think part of a threat holding criminal ground is if you feel that the person could actually follow through on it. If you don't believe then it means nothing to you.
The again I know that bullying laws have changed in canada a lot in the past seven or so years. Due mostly in part to kids in school getting bullied and killing themselves, and partly because of the school shootings. Who would have thought that the kids who went around shooting people might actually have done some good?

Anyways, for Jesus, troll or not you may need to spend some more time reading your holy books. God kills people for the most mundane reasons, and jesus wasn't that much better. It's this pretend higher morality that makes me mad about preachy people the most. Both versions of the bible old and new are full of murder and deceit, carried out by followers and gods alike. read me

But let's just leave that for the other threads that were made for it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2011, 12:53 PM
Full disclosure: I'm not a lawyer.

Hey, Jimmy.

If my insurance doesn't recognise an act of God, then the court won't.

Also, I don't think that any Christian believes they can get on the Bat-Phone and ask God to smite their enemies. God isn't Brando in the Godfather; although, Brando is God Cool I think they're just acting in a messenger capacity, ie, God strikes people down for X; therefore, if you do X, God will strike you down. So they're uttering a warning, not a death threat.

Hey, BD.

The hate crime thing is right out.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
20-10-2011, 01:24 PM
(20-10-2011 09:15 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  don't become like the rest of the morons who sue for dumbass things.

(20-10-2011 09:15 AM)Hamata k Wrote:  become like the rest of the morons who sue for dumbass things.

I like this better, it pays more.

"We Humans are capable of greatness." -Carl Sagan
20-10-2011, 01:46 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2011 02:00 PM by Jesus H Christ.)
(20-10-2011 11:02 AM)lucradis Wrote:  ..... I would imagine that a person wouldn't get very far using the law on that one. The only way it would have an credence is if you were also a believer. I think part of a threat holding criminal ground is if you feel that the person could actually follow through on it. If you don't believe then it means nothing to you.
The again I know that bullying laws have changed in canada a lot in the past seven or so years. Due mostly in part to kids in school getting bullied and killing themselves, and partly because of the school shootings. Who would have thought that the kids who went around shooting people might actually have done some good?

Anyways, for Jesus, troll or not you may need to spend some more time reading your holy books. God kills people for the most mundane reasons, and jesus wasn't that much better. It's this pretend higher morality that makes me mad about preachy people the most. Both versions of the bible old and new are full of murder and deceit, carried out by followers and gods alike. read me

But let's just leave that for the other threads that were made for it.
Lucradis, I am certain about what I said. I never said God has not killed people. I said God will not kill people at someone's beckon call. Very big difference. But I can see how it can be interpreted like that with my last sentence. When I said he wouldn't do it I meant he would not carry out such an order as per a request from man. And another thing I would like to know and maybe I am not educated as much on this matter:

If someone does not believe in this Christian God then how can you say he is evil and killed a lot of people when supposedly he doesn't exist? How can something kill people when that something never existed?