God and the law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-10-2011, 02:18 PM
RE: God and the law
Remember when I said your kind of troll was occasionally funny? That occasion has passed. Your bit is stale. And for the last time it doesn't matter if I believe in something as long as there is some moron out there who does.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-10-2011, 02:45 PM
(20-10-2011 02:18 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Remember when I said your kind of troll was occasionally funny? That occasion has passed. Your bit is stale. And for the last time it doesn't matter if I believe in something as long as there is some moron out there who does.
I fail to understand what I did in this thread that was trollish.

The OP asked a question-
"If a true believer told you to do something, and threatened to ask his god to strike you dead if you don't, is that not uttering a death threat?"- and I answered honestly.

Is answering honestly nowadays considered stale?
Find all posts by this user
20-10-2011, 03:42 PM
It becomes stale when the arguements are the same as every other arguement that has ever been put forward by a theist...seriously.
And as for knowing that god wouldn't strike people down is false. I call shennanigans.

NEW AND IMPROVED!
Twice the anger, Half the space!
20-10-2011, 03:49 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2011 03:52 PM by Jesus H Christ.)
(20-10-2011 03:42 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  And as for knowing that god wouldn't strike people down is false. I call shennanigans.
Do you know of any documented cases where someone asked God to strike someone down and he honored their wish?

(20-10-2011 03:42 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  It becomes stale when the arguements are the same as every other arguement that has ever been put forward by a theist...seriously.
It was an honest question and I honestly have never heard an athiest address that argument without dejecting. Including here.
20-10-2011, 04:01 PM
Really? I"m going to have to say it?

THE BIBLE

NEW AND IMPROVED!
20-10-2011, 04:21 PM
(20-10-2011 04:01 PM)Hamata k Wrote:  Really? I"m going to have to say it?

THE BIBLE

So you think an event like that documented in the Bible actually took place, enacted by a god that exists?
20-10-2011, 04:27 PM
I did answer it and I've answered that same question every single time you've asked it. Asking the same question without ever listening to the answers is troll behavior. Smart ass.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-10-2011, 04:32 PM (This post was last modified: 20-10-2011 04:48 PM by Jesus H Christ.)
(20-10-2011 04:27 PM)lucradis Wrote:  I did answer it and I've answered that same question every single time you've asked it. Asking the same question without ever listening to the answers is troll behavior. Smart ass.

Whoah, whoah, I don't remember that occurring before this thread. Really?that specific question? Hmm I'm gonna go back in my post count and check to jog my brain then.
Hey Lucradis, no offense but I checked all my past posts and I'm sure this was the first time I asked that question. I am on my phone so I supposed I may have missed it.

It is a good question though. If something does not exist then that something is incapale of striking people down at will or being evil. It just doesn't make sense.
20-10-2011, 06:45 PM
NO i'm just saying....wait....Now i'm confused....again.
hmm.
No the bible doesn't exist but when talking about this so called god we have to look at the only thing that he's got going for him and that actualy talks about his supposed actions.
SO what were we arguing about again? God or something else?

NEW AND IMPROVED!
20-10-2011, 06:51 PM
(20-10-2011 09:03 AM)jimmygun Wrote:  If a true believer told you to do something, and threatened to ask his god to strike you dead if you don't, is that not uttering a death threat? Would the charge stand up in court?

No.

For it to be an actual threat, there needs to be some reasonable likelihood of actual harm. Even in the context of someone who believes in god, the bible is real, the resurrection happened, God flooded the Earth and the 2 of every animal stuff, etc. etc. etc., you're still going to have a difficult time arguing that anyone reasonably believes that god is now taking requests and there was an actual threat of harm.

Now, that said, if you make the claim to someone you know believes not only in god but either that god does take requests or believes you have some special relationship with god where he does your bidding, then maybe you've got yourself a case. Attempted murder? Not likely, since there is no actual risk of death, but you may be able to be charged with some kind of summary offense. I think that is a real long shot, though.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost