God and the law

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-10-2011, 12:01 AM
RE: God and the law
Hey, BnW.

Thanks for layin down the law Cool

Correct me if I'm wrong (and in this particular case, there's every chance that I am), but it sounds like if I knew that a person believed that Superman existed and I said, "Do as I say or my buddy Kal-El is gonna melt your skull with his heat vision," that they might have a longshot case.

BTW - What does summary offence mean?

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
21-10-2011, 04:08 AM
(20-10-2011 01:46 PM)Jesus H Christ Wrote:  
(20-10-2011 11:02 AM)lucradis Wrote:  ..... I would imagine that a person wouldn't get very far using the law on that one. The only way it would have an credence is if you were also a believer. I think part of a threat holding criminal ground is if you feel that the person could actually follow through on it. If you don't believe then it means nothing to you.
The again I know that bullying laws have changed in canada a lot in the past seven or so years. Due mostly in part to kids in school getting bullied and killing themselves, and partly because of the school shootings. Who would have thought that the kids who went around shooting people might actually have done some good?

Anyways, for Jesus, troll or not you may need to spend some more time reading your holy books. God kills people for the most mundane reasons, and jesus wasn't that much better. It's this pretend higher morality that makes me mad about preachy people the most. Both versions of the bible old and new are full of murder and deceit, carried out by followers and gods alike. read me

But let's just leave that for the other threads that were made for it.
Lucradis, I am certain about what I said. I never said God has not killed people. I said God will not kill people at someone's beckon call. Very big difference. But I can see how it can be interpreted like that with my last sentence. When I said he wouldn't do it I meant he would not carry out such an order as per a request from man. And another thing I would like to know and maybe I am not educated as much on this matter:

If someone does not believe in this Christian God then how can you say he is evil and killed a lot of people when supposedly he doesn't exist? How can something kill people when that something never existed?

The undercover cop would never kill anyone for hire either. That's not the point. It is the solicitation for murder that is the crime. The believer is soliciting their god to commit a crime knowing that (in their mind) that god could do it.
21-10-2011, 06:14 AM (This post was last modified: 21-10-2011 06:19 AM by BnW.)
(21-10-2011 12:01 AM)Ghost Wrote:  Hey, BnW.

Thanks for layin down the law Cool

Correct me if I'm wrong (and in this particular case, there's every chance that I am), but it sounds like if I knew that a person believed that Superman existed and I said, "Do as I say or my buddy Kal-El is gonna melt your skull with his heat vision," that they might have a longshot case.

BTW - What does summary offence mean?

Matt

A summary offense is something with no real criminal penalty, like a speeding ticket. And, now that I've written that down, it wouldn't be a summary offense.

In terms of your question, first I need to highlight that I'm neither a criminal lawyer nor a litigator, so I'm a little out of my depth with some of this stuff. I'm working from my best recollection of what I've learned in the past. So, take my answer with a grain of salt.

Anyway, I think your question really depends on context. Simply telling someone that you'll have superman melt their skull is not going to rise to the level of criminal activity. The general standard here is the "reasonable man". Would a reasonable man believe that Superman was a) real and b) going to melt your skull with his heat vision? Most likely no. However, if you have someone who you know is mentally unbalanced, and you know that they are likely to believe you know Superman and he will do what you say, and you harass that person with that threat and create in that person a feeling of real bodily harm, you could then maybe be looking at some criminal charges. It will depend on the location and how the laws are written. Generally, assault is defined as (paraphrasing from memory) "creating the fear of an immediate offensive or harmful touching". What that means is that you don't have to actually tough someone for it to be an assault, you just need for someone to really fear being hit. When you do actually touch someone, then you have battery. I'm not sure threats will create the feeling of assault, though. It has to be immediate. But, some jurisdictions in the states now have anti-bullying laws, there are harassment laws, etc.

So, just making a single threat about Superman, or Jesus, even if the person really believes it, will most likely not rise to the level of a criminal act. But, if you make it a pattern of harassing behavior then, sure, you could have some problems with the law (assuming you can get the cops to care, which they most likely won't unless you're dealing with kids).

Jimmygun

Telling someon you are going to pray for god to kill them is not nearly the same as soliciting a hit man. It's not even close. To quote my man Jules, "it ain't the same ballpark, ain't the same league, ain't even the same fuckin' sport". Praying for someone's death is not a crime.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
21-10-2011, 08:07 AM
Hey, BnW.

Thanks, brother.

Matt
23-10-2011, 02:17 PM
(20-10-2011 09:03 AM)jimmygun Wrote:  If a true believer told you to do something, and threatened to ask his god to strike you dead if you don't, is that not uttering a death threat? Would the charge stand up in court? If so, wouldn't the believer have to admit that there is no god, that the threat was empty, in order to escape the law?

Law is impotent in this area. Believer in this case is spouting blaspheme, and is looking for a stoning. Tongue

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user