God as a dissociative identity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-04-2015, 05:14 AM
God as a dissociative identity
Many people I've spoken with seem to view god as a personal god, as something that can make subtle or dramatic changes in your own life if you only let it.

God helped me lose weight.
God helped me quit smoking
I turned my life over to god and let him guide me.
I asked god for the strength to handle all the stuff that will come my way.

All of these are examples of people who have created god as a dissociative identity within themselves.

They are, in fact, talking to a separate personality within their own mind.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Rahn127's post
24-04-2015, 09:00 AM
RE: God as a dissociative identity
(24-04-2015 05:14 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Many people I've spoken with seem to view god as a personal god, as something that can make subtle or dramatic changes in your own life if you only let it.

All of these are examples of people who have created god as a dissociative identity within themselves.

Right, God helps them lose weight--meanwhile kids are being attacked by pedophiles in the catholic church, people dying of starvation in the world, disease, war, destruction--but God is concerned about whether or not your ass looks fat in your skinny jeans--rolls eyes.
24-04-2015, 09:04 AM
God as our "best self". Perhaps secularism or atheism at some level only really takes hold when we find that our best self is better than the gods of religion and we come to fully trust ourselves to be and guide our best self.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 3 users Like Hafnof's post
24-04-2015, 09:59 AM
(24-04-2015 09:00 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(24-04-2015 05:14 AM)Rahn127 Wrote:  Many people I've spoken with seem to view god as a personal god, as something that can make subtle or dramatic changes in your own life if you only let it.

Right, God helps them lose weight--meanwhile kids are being attacked by pedophiles in the catholic church, people dying of starvation in the world, disease, war, destruction--but God is concerned about whether or not your ass looks fat in your skinny jeans--rolls eyes.

Consider this - god goes from creating enitre world to appearing on tosts. When one notices it there is little wonder that nowadays god stick to helping in searching for car keys or in maintaining diet. Less work, and believers still are quite happy.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.