09-02-2014, 06:49 AM
God bless the second amendment

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/01...shootings/
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes BrokenQuill92's post
09-02-2014, 08:43 AM
RE: God bless the second amendment
Give people good life and they will not want to shoot anyone.
Find all posts by this user
09-02-2014, 10:50 AM
So what?

Many crimes such as this one you've posted have been committed without the use of firearms.

The Oklahoma bombing, to name one, (perhaps the worst case) was done without firearms.

People will always find ways to inflict harm on others, even if those others are unsuspecting.

Firearms are an absolutely necessary part to living in America, because the government is becoming more tyrannical and police-esque every single day.

Last year, homeland security ordered hundreds of thousands of rounds of hollow-point ammunition for stocking (killing ammo), what will they do with it? Well, the government claims that it is for law enforcement. However, I thought officers had guns to subdue criminals, not to kill them, and hollow point bullets surely will. I'm no conspiracy theorist, but the United States both smells and looks fishy in its communications and actions towards its people. Thus, it is absolutely necessary that the people of the United States have the ability to form militias in times of tyranny, and all of this school shooting propaganda portrayed in the liberal media is only making tyranny more affluent, while also making it harder for the people to stand up to their government.

Besides, more people die each day from illegally owned firearms than they do with legally owned firearms. How about we start stripping away guns from criminals, institute background checks and mental evaluations, and let freedom be.

There is no defiling the constitution in our nation, and it is one of the most perfect (still containing flaws) documents made by man, and to ban firearms would be unconstitutional by the second amendment. Sorry, but that is just how it has to be, national law under the constitution dictates it.

My "conservative" views may give insight to what I believe on this issue, but I only follow logic, not pre-planned and packaged ideals.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/ralphbenko/2...versation/ [Hollow point rounds purchased]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_Amen...nstitution

Obama's impeachment of the very foundations of our nation's liberty: “I want to work with Congress on this agenda where I can,” Mr. Obama said. “But in this year of action, whenever I can take steps without legislation to expand opportunity for more American families, I will.”

Video in which he states the aforementioned:

[+] 5 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
09-02-2014, 05:33 PM
Right when the video starts, I have a problem with this quote:

"maybe you think this is an acceptable amount of school shootings".

It as if to say, if you support gun rights, there is a school shooting quota you are fine with. Now whether or not one supports gun rights, that is a bunch of bull, no number of school shootings is "acceptable" and I think everybody can agree with that. The statement is stupid hyperbole.

Another issue I have is this quote about why we ignore school shootings (we don't).

"The one-off school shooting has become so common".

This is crap, school shootings are still statistically an extremely rare event.

The overall point of the argument is absolutely asinine as well. He makes no points about why any policy restricting gun ownership would help, he just keeps repeating a statistic and asking if that is acceptable. If I say, "x amount of people have died in vehicle accidents this year, is this acceptable?" I am not really making a point at all, just asking a stupid question.
[+] 3 users Like mrlmichael's post
09-02-2014, 05:59 PM
Bq, what are your thoughts about the vid and link you posted?

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

09-02-2014, 07:44 PM
(09-02-2014 05:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Bq, what are your thoughts about the vid and link you posted?

I'm mostly frustrated and irritated. More and more kids and other civilian lives are being put at risk as gun owners and our government simply stick their fingers in their ears and shout. "Lala Lala LA!!! I can't hear you about gun control!" They refused to fix the problem! The body Count and the injuries grow ever higher. The media either ignores it or puts on a show. And no one is doing anything about it! People are acting as if we're trying to take away their first borns. When all we're asking them to do is take more safety measures because what is happening right now is not WORKING. It's like they don't get that unless you're crazy or a criminal nobody wants your fucking guns. And no matter what excuses you make you don't need ten.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
09-02-2014, 08:20 PM
(09-02-2014 07:44 PM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 05:59 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Bq, what are your thoughts about the vid and link you posted?

I'm mostly frustrated and irritated. More and more kids and other civilian lives are being put at risk as gun owners and our government simply stick their fingers in their ears and shout. "Lala Lala LA!!! I can't hear you about gun control!" They refused to fix the problem! The body Count and the injuries grow ever higher. The media either ignores it or puts on a show. And no one is doing anything about it! People are acting as if we're trying to take away their first borns. When all we're asking them to do is take more safety measures because what is happening right now is not WORKING. It's like they don't get that unless you're crazy or a criminal nobody wants your fucking guns. And no matter what excuses you make you don't need ten.

The media surely isn't ignoring it, they are actually part of the problem.

It only takes one random shooting to cause an international fire of the insane, who think that because they are suicidal, that they have nothing to lose.

The media makes mass murderers out as heroes, or as people that were previously mistreated, when in fact, they are simply vile, hate consumed, psychotic monsters.
[+] 2 users Like UndercoverAtheist's post
09-02-2014, 08:40 PM (This post was last modified: 09-02-2014 09:07 PM by mrlmichael.)
I disagree with you Bq.

Where is your evidence that "more kids and other civilian lives are being put at risk"? I would appreciate if you could back that claim up with some sort of evidence.

What do you mean "body Count and the injuries grow ever higher"? Do you mean that the frequency in which firearm related killings or mass shootings is increasing? If so I would refer you to my first question. Please show me the evidence to back up this claim. Otherwise, you just stated the body count is rising, which isn't factually not true, as the body count for everything is constantly rising. The body count, by nature, in life, cannot start falling.

This is an atheist forum, and I typically credit atheist with being logical people who trust evidence over emotion. What you provided in those two points was an emotional response to a perceived problem, while providing no evidence that it is a growing problem, and no data to support what you perceive to be the problem. Your argument is similar to how a Christian argues the existence of god. I could take these points more seriously if you provided me with some evidence in which to work.

You also said "media either ignores it or puts on a show". As UndercoverAtheist pointed out, this isn't the case, the medias hyper extensive coverage of these events is part of the problem. For somebody in such a low emotional place considering carrying out such an attack, they know the media will glorify them, and give them attention, which is ultimately what they seek.... attention. They will get non-stop coverage, a theme song, a logo, and fame from their actions. The medias role in further incentivizing these events is one of the major problems we face.
[+] 3 users Like mrlmichael's post
10-02-2014, 11:34 PM
It's a bit disengenuine to focus on 'shootings' rather than murder and attempted murder, as if were it not for the 2nd Amendment, our schools would be murder free. I'm willing to accept the liklihood that guns make murder easier, and thus more access to guns does in fact result in more murders, but to focus exclusively on gun violence, while ignoring stabbings, for example, is dishonest.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
11-02-2014, 01:40 AM
(10-02-2014 11:34 PM)toadaly Wrote:  It's a bit disengenuine to focus on 'shootings' rather than murder and attempted murder, as if were it not for the 2nd Amendment, our schools would be murder free. I'm willing to accept the liklihood that guns make murder easier, and thus more access to guns does in fact result in more murders, but to focus exclusively on gun violence, while ignoring stabbings, for example, is dishonest.

No, focusing on school shootings is in no way focusing on gun violence as a whole; they make up a tiny portion of the gun violence cases. I think studies have shown that two-thirds of all gun violence cases are suicides, and I guarantee you that school shootings still don't make up the bulk of the others.

[Image: giphy.gif]