God bless the second amendment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2014, 10:26 PM
RE: God bless the second amendment
(11-02-2014 08:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:This could happen, for example, if a foreign power took control of the federal chain of command.

Hmmm....I'd like to cut to the chase here. Do you mean a Kenyan muslim?

Exactly, Barack Obama.
See? He's right! We need our weapons stat!

Atir aissom atir imon
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2014, 11:49 PM
(11-02-2014 05:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The complete breakdown of civil society which is a necessary precursor to any running gunfights in the street also obviates whatever pertaining laws may pre-exist.

The law applies in the present. Whether it would still apply in all imaginable scenarios involving states calling forth militias isn't relevant. At any rate, it's not that hard to imagine scenarios that don't involve a complete collapse of civil society.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
11-02-2014, 11:50 PM
(11-02-2014 08:14 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  
Quote:This could happen, for example, if a foreign power took control of the federal chain of command.

Hmmm....I'd like to cut to the chase here. Do you mean a Kenyan muslim?

That wasn't what I had in mind. Let's try not to be obnoxious assuming assholes, 'k? Consider

12-02-2014, 11:05 AM
Again, a bunch of arguments from both sides based off pure emotion and speculation.

I will say, that I suspect this debate to be rendered useless by 3D printing within the next decade. If you don't believe me, go to youtube and search for Defense Distributed.
12-02-2014, 11:13 AM
(12-02-2014 11:05 AM)mrlmichael Wrote:  Again, a bunch of arguments from both sides based off pure emotion and speculation.

I will say, that I suspect this debate to be rendered useless by 3D printing within the next decade. If you don't believe me, go to youtube and search for Defense Distributed.

You can make a single-shot gun out of two pieces of pipe, and a few other bits of common hardware.

12-02-2014, 01:04 PM
(11-02-2014 11:49 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(11-02-2014 05:26 PM)cjlr Wrote:  The complete breakdown of civil society which is a necessary precursor to any running gunfights in the street also obviates whatever pertaining laws may pre-exist.

The law applies in the present. Whether it would still apply in all imaginable scenarios involving states calling forth militias isn't relevant. At any rate, it's not that hard to imagine scenarios that don't involve a complete collapse of civil society.

I don't think you quite see what I'm getting at.

"We need guns because [insert deranged fantasy scenario here] might happen" is a terrible, terrible argument.

... this is my signature!
12-02-2014, 02:10 PM
(09-02-2014 06:49 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/01...shootings/

Gun control is not a solution. Bad guys will always get guns and shoot innocent people.

English is not my native language.
that awkward moment between the Premortal Existence and your Resurrection
12-02-2014, 02:47 PM
(12-02-2014 01:04 PM)cjlr Wrote:  "We need guns because [insert deranged fantasy scenario here] might happen" is a terrible, terrible argument.

...well, ok, but I'm not really making such an argument. The hypotheticals about how it might be invoked are a mostly irrelevant side discussion.

12-02-2014, 02:51 PM
(12-02-2014 02:10 PM)Alla Wrote:  
(09-02-2014 06:49 AM)BrokenQuill92 Wrote:  

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/01...shootings/

Gun control is not a solution. Bad guys will always get guns and shoot innocent people.

While true, gun control *does* reduce accidental firearm deaths, teen suicides, and crimes of passion. The trade off of course, is that only criminals then have guns, and they know it.

Guns exist, and people are going to get killed using them. This is true whether you have gun control or not. So it ends up being about personal values as to whether you support private ownership or not. In the US, it's a moot point due to the 2nd Amendment.

[+] 1 user Likes toadaly's post
12-02-2014, 06:49 PM
(12-02-2014 02:51 PM)toadaly Wrote:  Guns exist, and people are going to get killed using them. This is true whether you have gun control or not.

Not really. There are places with strict gun control such as the UK where gun crime is so low the police aren't routinely armed. I grew up in the UK and in all my time there I've only ever seen guns at airports.

Quote:So it ends up being about personal values as to whether you support private ownership or not. In the US, it's a moot point due to the 2nd Amendment.

The second amendment is just a legal construct. If it was the will of the people it'd change. It isn't sacred.