God bless the second amendment

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2014, 09:20 PM
RE: God bless the second amendment
(15-02-2014 08:24 PM)Cathym112 Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 07:58 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  I just have to ask... Why on earth would you need that many guns?

I do search and rescue. A lot of the missing are on drugs, or are suicidal. It's for my protection.

I also shoot skeet and trapt for fun. I'm a marksman.

Even so owning 12-odd guns seems ludicrous to me. Then again, I don't own one and I only see myself owning a gun at all for purely "This is a cool piece of machinery that I can keep locked up in a case to look at now and then" sorts of purposes. I know full well what those things can do and why the exist, and not only do I not trust myself with them but I don't see me ever needing one realistically.

Plus Australia's gun laws are pretty tight, and I'm sure my mother and father (both are ex-military ex-competitive shooters) would get pretty mad at me, irresponsibly fascinated as I am with those things, if I did own one.

It must just be a cultural thing that I don't get.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2014, 10:01 PM
(15-02-2014 09:20 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  It must just be a cultural thing that I don't get.

Probably. In the US, guns are like cars. Some people collect them.

Personally, I can see having around 4 guns, if you're into gun sports. A pistol you use for target practice and home defense, a small concealed carry pistol, a shotgun for bird hunting and skeet, and a rifle for other forms of hunting and marksmanship. But I've known people with dozens of guns, and if you ask what each one is for, they can tell you.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.
16-02-2014, 09:26 AM
(15-02-2014 08:48 PM)toadaly Wrote:  
(15-02-2014 06:57 PM)joben1 Wrote:  That may be the case, but they are still illegal and, like I said, I live in the UK and have never seen one. It's not that I live in a well-to-do area either. I live in a city that is severely deprived and regularly comes top on national crime stats.

Why would you expect to see them? Even in the US, where guns are commonplace, hardly anyone ever sees guns that are not legally owned and used in legal ways.

So they do see them if they are "legally owned and used in legal ways"? I haven't seen them at all. Are you not just a little bit scared when you see one, even if it's handling is legal? I know I would be, but then again you may just get desensitised.
16-02-2014, 11:31 AM
(16-02-2014 09:26 AM)joben1 Wrote:  So they do see them if they are "legally owned and used in legal ways"? I haven't seen them at all. Are you not just a little bit scared when you see one, even if it's handling is legal? I know I would be, but then again you may just get desensitised.

Well of course you see the legal ones being lawfully used. Cops carry them, if you go to any military base, they're everywhere. If you go to a gun range you see them. You see them hunting, etc.

No, I'm not afriad of them when I see them used lawfully. I'd only be afraid if one was pointed at me. But sure, this is a matter of familiarity. I've had guns since I was 10.

Softly, softly, catchee monkey.