God bless you.... ><

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2010, 10:41 AM
God bless you.... ><
I was raised as a Catholic, and I was taught that when someone sneezes you should say "God bless you."

There are many theories to why people say that to eachother, but this thread isn't really about that. The point is that now a days, it is more about manners than actually blessing someone.

So half way out of habit and half way out of being polite, when someone sneezes I tend to say "Bless you."

I've tried saying "Gesundheit" instead because it translates to "Good Health". But out of habit I usually say "Bless you."

So earlier today I was talking with a friend.

My friend: ACHOOO!!

Me: Bless you.

My friend: No Sarah, GOD bless you.

I wanted to say, No instead of wishing for health from Santa Claus in the sky, if you're so ill that you need to be blessed go to a doctor and say thanks to him.

But of course I didn't say that, I just kind of had some kind of weird smile and gave her a thumbs up. ( not sure why)

So any similiar experiences? What do you do to be polite when someone sneezes? Or what if someone blesses you when you sneeze?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 11:57 AM
RE: God bless you.... ><
''Gesundheit!'' You from Germany?

This reminds me of possibly the worst comedian ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtVzj9y-bo

Correct me when I'm wrong.
Accept me or go to hell.
20-09-2010, 12:08 PM

Wink RE: God bless you.... ><
(20-09-2010 10:41 AM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  I was raised as a Catholic, and I was taught that when someone sneezes you should say "God bless you."

There are many theories to why people say that to eachother, but this thread isn't really about that. The point is that now a days, it is more about manners than actually blessing someone.

So half way out of habit and half way out of being polite, when someone sneezes I tend to say "Bless you."

I've tried saying "Gesundheit" instead because it translates to "Good Health". But out of habit I usually say "Bless you."

So earlier today I was talking with a friend.

My friend: ACHOOO!!

Me: Bless you.

My friend: No Sarah, GOD bless you.

I wanted to say, No instead of wishing for health from Santa Claus in the sky, if you're so ill that you need to be blessed go to a doctor and say thanks to him.

But of course I didn't say that, I just kind of had some kind of weird smile and gave her a thumbs up. ( not sure why)

So any similiar experiences? What do you do to be polite when someone sneezes? Or what if someone blesses you when you sneeze?

I always say Gesundheit... but half the time I get odd looks from people when I say it lol :-P
Quote this message in a reply
20-09-2010, 12:23 PM
I go with Seinfeld. Someone sneezes, I say something like, "you're soooo good lookin!". "Bless you" does nothing. Why not say something that makes them feel good!!??

So many cats, so few good recipes.
20-09-2010, 12:32 PM
(20-09-2010 11:57 AM)Kikko Wrote:  ''Gesundheit!'' You from Germany?

This reminds me of possibly the worst comedian ever.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXtVzj9y-bo

No, i'm not from Germany, but my ancestors were. Tongue
But when someone says "Gesundheit." to me I always respond with "danke."

Dane Cook... *facepalm* This is why people hate Atheists, they think they're rude and condensending...and sneeze on people.
(20-09-2010 12:23 PM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I go with Seinfeld. Someone sneezes, I say something like, "you're soooo good lookin!". "Bless you" does nothing. Why not say something that makes them feel good!!??

I like this. Big Grin
If I knew you I would do a lot of sneezing while you were around.
20-09-2010, 12:48 PM
Hey.

Wikipedia says:

I always thought it was the fifth theory, the one about the devil.

Technically your friend was right to correct you. Bless you is a truncated version of God bless you. I point that out only because its a term that she and others use, so, when in Rome.

Gesundheit is ubiquitous in Canada. Seems odd to me that people would give someone strange looks. I've always known gesundheit as the secular version of God bless you. Be a trend setter Big Grin

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
20-09-2010, 01:00 PM
I don't say anything. I just try to sneeze louder then they did and then I just look at them smugly.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
20-09-2010, 08:09 PM
I always say Gesundheit, I don't know why. I just always have, and my parents did too.
20-09-2010, 08:29 PM
Or ask, "any brains?" if they look at their hands. If not ask, "get any on you?", then when they look at their hands, ask about the brains.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
21-09-2010, 01:37 AM (This post was last modified: 21-09-2010 01:41 AM by No J..)
(20-09-2010 12:32 PM)SarahDarleen Wrote:  [
Dane Cook... *facepalm* This is why people hate Atheists, they think they're rude and condensending...and sneeze on people.

No. Theists hate atheists because we have the gall to not believe in their fairy tale and inside they are threatened because if we are right, they have no after-life, which means they won't go to heaven.

They are more afraid of atheists who may argue with them than they are of people from other religions who may kill them. This is because they can believe that people from other religions will go to hell for believing in the wrong god. We won't go to hell if we are right.

Dan Cook(ed) will convince some of the people in his audience to believe we are all like that, but it is better than a few centuries ago when they would have burned us at the stake for our blasphemy. Many atheists have put their lives on the line to give us a better world. Without them, there would be religious people hunting us down if we opened our mouths and anybody on a forum like this would be taking their lives in their hands everytime they post.

I posted this one on another thread, but here it is if you missed that one. http://www.truthbeknown.com/victims.htm

I doubt very much if there is any truth in Dan Cooks story. Religious people are notorious for making up lies.