God can't touch Chemosh!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-06-2014, 06:38 AM
God can't touch Chemosh!
Greetings, I'm a newb to the forum, so forgive me if this has been posted, but I thought this was an amusing part of the bible. It should really get the hackles up of your religious Facebook friends, so I thought I'd share:

It’s Sunday morning and time for Sunday school!
The verse this morning is 2 Kings 3:27.
You can read the whole chapter if you wish, but I’ll summarize it:
Jehoram; the king of Israel was not being paid tribute by Mesha; the king of Moab.
So Jehoram goes to the king of Judah; Jehoshaphat to form an alliance to deal with the Moabites.
They go through Edom on the way and consult the prophet Elisha. Elisha tells them in in 2 Kings 3:18-“And this is but a light thing in the sight of the LORD: he will deliver the Moabites also into your hand.”
With Elisha confirming that God would give them victory over the Moabites, they move towards battle with the Moabites. Things are going just as Elisha said they would, the Moabites are fleeing before the allied armies of Israel until this happens in 2 Kings 3:27 -
“Then he took his eldest son that should have reigned in his stead, and offered him for a burnt offering upon the wall. And there was great indignation against Israel: and they departed from him, and returned to their own land.”

So Mesha sacrifices his son upon a wall to his god Chemosh, Chemosh shows his indignation against Israel and they return back to their lands. What have we learned from this? Chemosh is a real god, Chemosh can kick Yahweh around like a red-headed step child, and human sacrifice is a pretty good way to get Chemosh’s attention and favor.
Oh, and that sometimes the Bronze Age primitives that wrote the bible forget about staying on script with their God is the greatest narrative.

Here's a response to some of the Christian apologetics that try to weasel out of it:

http://religionatthemargins.com/2011/06/...kings-327/

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply