Poll: am i drunk
Yes
Yes
Yes
Yes
forgot the fifth one
[Show Results]
Note: This is a public poll, other users will be able to see what you voted for.
God damn cords

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2013, 06:29 PM
God damn cords
I have accumulated two dozen cords over the past few years from electronic devices, and they all look identical. They all have USB on one end and a nearly identical but slightly different other end. All black. All approximately the same length.

In retrospect I should have labeled them all with some kind of sticker upon unboxing, but still, I have to ask WHY DO THEY DO THIS TO ME?

Why, after all these years, does every single electronic device need to use a slightly different cord? Can't someone design some kind of universal plug? Or a colour coding system so we know what cords are compatible with each device? Like, this camera uses a red and white striped cord, and this camera uses a black and purple horizontally-lined cord.

Come on, people!

We'd save millions of hours of man-hours every year with colour coding, pre-made labels, or a universal plug design for small electronic devices.

This is the year 2013!

We've already sent people to the moon!

We've found cures for diseases!

We've shot a probe out of our solar system!

We've harnessed the power of the atom!

We've managed to make computers so small they can be mounted on a fly!

We have self-driving cars!

But we can't agree on a practical way to identify our cords?

Balls!

If something can be destroyed by the truth, it might be worth destroying.

[Image: ZcC2kGl.png]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Elesjei's post
27-09-2013, 06:34 PM
RE: God damn cords
I'm also dealing with this problem. We recently had some work done to our basement, had a lot of stuff in storage. Of course when you are packing, you know exactly what cords go with what, and you're certain there will be no issue when you unpack. Now here I am terrified of the huge box of black cords in my basement. I'll figure it all out, but I agree, it could be made MUCH easier!

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
27-09-2013, 06:51 PM
Oh.
So this is not a thread about fashion.
Carry on.
[Image: 220px-Cord_1.jpg]
(I am not drunk yet. I just found out it's one of the plans for the evening, tho). Fucking frat boys.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein
Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-09-2013, 07:41 PM
Haha, I have a huge box full of these! Utter madness! Confused

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
27-09-2013, 07:53 PM
Good point.

Also the symbols no longer mean anything to me.

Message to all the sockets on my laptop or the back of the airline seat in front of me with your hieroglyphic little icons.

I DON'T KNOW WHAT YOU ARE FOR!!

Angry

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
27-09-2013, 08:50 PM
(27-09-2013 06:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  (I am not drunk yet. I just found out it's one of the plans for the evening, tho). Fucking frat boys.

Is that one of the plans for the evening, then?

... this is my signature!
27-09-2013, 08:57 PM
(27-09-2013 08:50 PM)cjlr Wrote:  
(27-09-2013 06:51 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  (I am not drunk yet. I just found out it's one of the plans for the evening, tho). Fucking frat boys.

Is that one of the plans for the evening, then?

Not really. I "pretend", just to fit in. My max is one. I discovered, unless I drink all the time, it's not good for me. (boring, I know). I think I'm allergic to the ingredients in most drinks ? Maybe the ester by-products ? Weeping
I run very early in the morning, and if I drink, it's a "bust".

Those who were seen dancing were thought to be insane by those who could not hear the music - Friedrich Nietzsche
27-09-2013, 09:00 PM
(27-09-2013 08:57 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Not really. I "pretend", just to fit in. My max is one. I discovered, unless I drink all the time, it's not good for me. (boring, I know). I think I'm allergic to the ingredients in most drinks ? Maybe the ester by-products ? Weeping
I run very early in the morning, and if I drink, it's a "bust".

That's not the that I was referring to.

... this is my signature!
[+] 2 users Like cjlr's post
27-09-2013, 09:03 PM
Use colored tape?
But yeah I get you, I have tons of cords in a bag where I have no idea what half of them are for and when I try to pick one up at least 10 are tied around it. What we need is to have cords that roll neatly when not being used.
27-09-2013, 09:07 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2013 09:34 PM by Bucky Ball.)
Hahahaha.
Sometimes I'm SO f'ing dense.

That's another story.
But no. He's a "first year" (resident) at Cedars-Sinai. Tongue