God defined.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 01:51 AM
God defined.
I don't think anyone has ever come up with an adequate definition of what is meant by "God"--at least, in the supernatural sense. I will try.

God is a force that sometimes intervenes in natural processes. The word "sometimes" is a critical concept. If a force always intervenes in natural processes, it is simply a part of the process: If it never intervenes in natural processes, it is without function and can be ignored.

To say that it (if it exists, at all) "sometimes" intervenes in natural processes, is to give it a purpose. To my knowledge, no such force has ever been sufficiently demonstrated to exist. Every supposed "miracle" has been demonstrated to be either, trickery, illusion, or nothing greater than chance occurrences. Either this or testimony by those who have motivations other than the pursuit of truth.

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like 666wannabe's post
28-12-2014, 02:18 AM
RE: God defined.
I can add to that.

Aristotle may have said
“Men create gods after their own image, not only with regard to their form but also with regard to their mode of life.”
(Aristotle 384 BC – 322 BC.)

There is no evidence that the God of scripture exists, and the burden of proof lies with those who claim he does.

It can be argued that “God” is nothing more than a fabricated figure who has always been all about power.

One of man’s main ambitions is to be powerful, to rule over others. “God” was, and is, nothing more than a sock puppet for priests or other religious raconteurs. The “God” concept was originally used for the benefit of the Jewish clerical caste; to give priests prestige, power and wealth.

These priests had Munchausen syndrome by proxy (MSbP.) (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Münchausen_...by_proxy). The priests talked about a “God,” who they pretended was an all-powerful entity. This God exaggerated or fabricated problems, such as sins; thoughts or actions, that supposedly upset him. This “God” could then “save” the sinner from his own disapproval, that is from a problem that was not real.

Priests created a role for themselves by claiming they talked on this God’s behalf. The priests made themselves, and those associated with them, appear to be very important.

In later times the Roman government and the Christian priesthood promoted God’s existence for the same reasons – to control and profit from a gullible public.
“God” kept commoners bowing to priests and kings, the peasants paying their tithes and taxes, slaves in shackles, women submissive to men, and wayward adolescents obeying their parents.

Things are much the same today, as Christian leaders in governments, armies, churches, schools, and families are still using “God” to control others. Consider dying for one’s country, Sunday school, sermons from the pulpit, the confessional box, “gay rehabilitation” centers, and the pressure put on people to fork up money every Sunday.

If enough people woke up to the fact that “God” is nothing more than an invention used by raconteurs to profit from people, the Christian juggernaut would grind to a halt.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Mark Fulton's post
28-12-2014, 05:41 AM
[Image: VANITY-FAIR_gwyneth-paltrow-topless_0_0_9.jpg]

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 7 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-12-2014, 05:52 AM
(28-12-2014 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: VANITY-FAIR_gwyneth-paltrow-topless_0_0_9.jpg]

[Image: approve-of-this-post-300x270.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 2 users Like EvolutionKills's post
28-12-2014, 06:04 AM
The "Holy Trinity" of the human condition is a tale of three simulations. Simulation of mind in brain, simulation of future in mind, simulation of mind of another in mind; whereas "god" is a projection of the "perfect self," and Divine Command Morality the wishful thinking of a self confronted with a hostile environment. We want to believe in certain sacred truths in order to persevere in righteous action, and misalignment with the perfect self through circumstance inspires the perception of the eternal adversary.

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 6 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-12-2014, 06:32 AM
(28-12-2014 06:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The "Holy Trinity" of the human condition is a tale of three simulations. Simulation of mind in brain, simulation of future in mind, simulation of mind of another in mind; whereas "god" is a projection of the "perfect self," and Divine Command Morality the wishful thinking of a self confronted with a hostile environment. We want to believe in certain sacred truths in order to persevere in righteous action, and misalignment with the perfect self through circumstance inspires the perception of the eternal adversary.

Worship Slaves

I've been on TTA for nearly three years. In the beginning my mind was the void and HoC's posts were inexplicable mysteries.

No longer.

But I wonder ... how many more years before I reach his level of enlightenment?

Blush

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
28-12-2014, 06:41 AM
Quick question: are we trying to define god as the theists would (a god hypothesis) or as a social phenomenon?

EIther is problematic. for example, there are so many different interpretations of god even within single religions (let alone different religions) that you risk setting up a strawman or, at best, a definition that any one religious sect could find fault.

Defining it as a social phenomenon might be difficult too, seeing as it would involve considerable archeological research, which is always vulnerable to lack of historical records.

That said, surely the latter would be more useful, given that it could provide an explanation for relgious behaviour?

After all, I see little point in trying to further refine the definition for something that does not exist outside of the human mind.

"I don't mind being wrong...it's a time I get to learn something new..."
Me.
N.B: I routinely make edits to posts to correct grammar or spelling, or to restate a point more clearly. I only notify edits if they materially change meaning.
[+] 1 user Likes gofish!'s post
28-12-2014, 06:46 AM
Topic: Mark has touched on something. The definition of a god should probably include some kind of anthropomorphic traits ascribed to the force.

Human or human like traits? Too narrow. An expectation that there is a mind or personality of some kind? Absolutely.

(28-12-2014 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: VANITY-FAIR_gwyneth-paltrow-topless_0_0_9.jpg]

There should be Gwynie equivalents for everybody. Fair is fair.

Ladies:
[Image: How-to-Become-a-Muscle-Woman.png]
[Image: 936485afaa5f176b2e440e3dc94e79ca.jpg]
[Image: 36-urban-tiny-bikini-h724.jpg]
[Image: Titties-of-the-Day-e1338835476270.jpg]

Gentlemen:
[Image: article-1279097133587-0a6f959d000005dc-9...36x355.jpg]
[Image: img.jpg][Image: sione_lauaki_051.jpg]
[Image: DavidTennantShirtlessFrightNight.jpg]
[Image: tumblr_inline_n1c2ta9ftE1rfln7p.jpg]

Soulless mutants of muscle and intent. There are billions of us; hardy, smart and dangerous. Shaped by millions of years of death. We are the definitive alpha predator. We build monsters of fire and stone. We bottled the sun. We nailed our god to a stick.

In man's struggle against the world, bet on the man.
[+] 1 user Likes Stuffed_Assumption_Meringue's post
28-12-2014, 07:40 AM
If god is force that sometimes intervenes, then a rain cloud is a force that sometimes gets me wet

At its most basic, a god should be able to magically alter, fix, heal, protect, etc the people of a planet.
He doesn't have to be all powerful or all knowing.
He just needs to have the ability to control matter and energy and have the morals to effectively protect people.

Turning every living animal into a plant would provide some level of protection. All that would remain would be weather control.

Kind of like in a green house.

Insanity - doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results
28-12-2014, 07:57 AM
Presumably a god in the modern monotheistic sense is a being with effectively infinite capacity to change the universe from one state to another state, ie to a state the being desires. It is a creature that acts according to its own purpose and not for the benefit (or at least not exclusively for the benefit) of those that inhabit the universe. Optionally, it demands some kind of respect from those that inhabit the universe.

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.