God defined.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-12-2014, 08:10 AM
RE: God defined.
(28-12-2014 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  .....

Drooling
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-12-2014, 08:13 AM
(28-12-2014 01:51 AM)666wannabe Wrote:  I don't think anyone has ever come up with an adequate definition of what is meant by "God"--at least, in the supernatural sense. I will try.

God is a force that sometimes intervenes in natural processes. The word "sometimes" is a critical concept. If a force always intervenes in natural processes, it is simply a part of the process: If it never intervenes in natural processes, it is without function and can be ignored.

To say that it (if it exists, at all) "sometimes" intervenes in natural processes, is to give it a purpose. To my knowledge, no such force has ever been sufficiently demonstrated to exist. Every supposed "miracle" has been demonstrated to be either, trickery, illusion, or nothing greater than chance occurrences. Either this or testimony by those who have motivations other than the pursuit of truth.

The "sometimes force" can be given very vague powers, it leaves a lot of maneuverability to avoid that pesky real-world proof. There are some impressive obstacle course drivers out there, complete masters at using rhetoric to avoid proof.

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
28-12-2014, 09:12 AM
(28-12-2014 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: VANITY-FAIR_gwyneth-paltrow-topless_0_0_9.jpg]

I think she likes to consider the feelings of her water. She doesn't want to offend it. A sexy but moronic god.
I suppose that puts her above the Abrahamic god. I don't think he's sexy at all...
28-12-2014, 09:20 AM
The real definition of god.
An imaginary being created by people to control other people.
It's works well. Especially on those who spend no time thinking.
[+] 1 user Likes Drunkin Druid's post
28-12-2014, 09:27 AM
(28-12-2014 09:12 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 05:41 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  [Image: VANITY-FAIR_gwyneth-paltrow-topless_0_0_9.jpg]

I think she likes to consider the feelings of her water. She doesn't want to offend it. A sexy but moronic god.

Blasphemer! Nothing need be known about the Gwynnies beyond her being sweet and adorable and promoting love. Those vibrations are a simplistic expression of joy at the emotional level, as attested to by their popular misconception.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like houseofcantor's post
28-12-2014, 09:34 AM
(28-12-2014 09:20 AM)Drunkin Druid Wrote:  The real definition of god.
An imaginary being created by people to control other people.

The separation between god and religion occurs at the level of naive theology. Mass control can only be exerted over an extant paradigm.

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
28-12-2014, 10:14 AM
(28-12-2014 06:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  
(28-12-2014 06:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The "Holy Trinity" of the human condition is a tale of three simulations. Simulation of mind in brain, simulation of future in mind, simulation of mind of another in mind; whereas "god" is a projection of the "perfect self," and Divine Command Morality the wishful thinking of a self confronted with a hostile environment. We want to believe in certain sacred truths in order to persevere in righteous action, and misalignment with the perfect self through circumstance inspires the perception of the eternal adversary.

Worship Slaves

I've been on TTA for nearly three years. In the beginning my mind was the void and HoC's posts were inexplicable mysteries.

No longer.

But I wonder ... how many more years before I reach his level of enlightenment?

Blush

Best not to wish for such enlightenment ... one often runs the risk of grave misunderstanding.

Consider
Then again ... given enough stimulant (or rope), we all tend to kill our own Buddha. Shy

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
28-12-2014, 11:04 AM
Thumbsup

VERY NICEThumbsup

If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities.--Voltaire.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
28-12-2014, 11:14 AM
(28-12-2014 06:04 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  The "Holy Trinity" of the human condition is a tale of three simulations. Simulation of mind in brain, simulation of future in mind, simulation of mind of another in mind; whereas "god" is a projection of the "perfect self," and Divine Command Morality the wishful thinking of a self confronted with a hostile environment. We want to believe in certain sacred truths in order to persevere in righteous action, and misalignment with the perfect self through circumstance inspires the perception of the eternal adversary.

One of the primary reasons that science (evolution) and religion (western monotheism) can never be reconciled is this:

Western Monotheism promotes the belief that we were created by a perfect God to be perfect beings, that (through Adam) mankind "fell from grace" and in order to once again be perfect, needs to be reconciled with God through belief in Christ. Evolution, on the other hand, recognizes the reality that "perfection" is only an illusion. We are not evolving toward a state of perfection. Instead, we are continually growing--hopefully, getting better. We are "exactly" what our life's circumstances has made us and continues to make us.

The two ontological viewpoints are diametrically opposed and will never be reconciled. Creationism, which attempts to reconcile the two, is a crock of rancid fecal matter--a very large turd in the cesspool of religious thought.

"To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead." --Thomas Paine.
28-12-2014, 11:16 AM
(28-12-2014 06:32 AM)DLJ Wrote:  

Worship Slaves

I've been on TTA for nearly three years. In the beginning my mind was the void and HoC's posts were inexplicable mysteries.

No longer.

But I wonder ... how many more years before I reach his level of enlightenment?

Blush

Evolution is a very slow process, my child.

[+] 1 user Likes 666wannabe's post