"God destroyed Rome"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2014, 08:28 PM
RE: "God destroyed Rome"
Quote:I can't remember for certain, but Rome was never 100% depopulated, was it?

No, it shrank to around 10,000 but its irrelevant. In 286 the capital of the West was moved to Mediolanum ( Milan ) and somewhat later to Ravenna. By this point in time the sobriquet "Roman" referred to the culture rather than the city of Rome itself.

If memory serves the usage "Byzantine Empire" did not come into common usage until the late Middle Ages....but I don't feel like digging through my library to find a reference.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
30-03-2014, 09:08 PM
Like Detroit, the ancient cities were heavily dependant upon trade and at times it moved elsewhere.
30-03-2014, 09:34 PM
I believe some people will refer to Rome as the Roman Empire itself. As for the two people I was talking about earlier, maybe that's what they meant, I don't know. Some people seriously believe that the Roman Empire no longer exists because "God destroyed it."
31-03-2014, 06:34 AM
(30-03-2014 05:41 PM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Overheard a conversation the other day between two people. I didn't pay much attention at first, but the one said,"Gay people are the reason why God is going to destroy America." And then the other said something like,"That's why God destroyed Rome."

I felt like saying something, but I just kept on walking and laughed to myself.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to hear something like this.

I heard this on the latest Reasonable doubts podcast. Are you one of the crew?

Experimental drug disengaged. Hopefully my brain will return.
31-03-2014, 06:56 AM
(30-03-2014 07:02 PM)TheGulegon Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 06:53 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  The Eastern Roman Empire lasted another 1000 years.... and when it was overrun it was by the fucking allah lovers.

That was the Byzantines, though, right?
I can't remember for certain, but Rome was never 100% depopulated, was it? The Empire ceased to be, sure, but I don't think the city itself was ever annihilated.

Byzantine was the Eastern or Holy Roman Empire controlled by the Catholic Church. Rome was overrun by the Germanic tribes and defeated that way. Byzantine held out until 1453 when the Ottoman Empire sacked Constantinople and renamed it Istanbul.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
31-03-2014, 07:01 AM
Somebody needs to inform Rome of their destruction by god as they seem happily unaware. They even set up one of the big mans headquarters there and his main men seem to love the high camp look.

[Image: 307443_597886460227178_950761523_n.jpg]

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
[+] 5 users Like Eva's post
31-03-2014, 10:55 AM
(31-03-2014 06:34 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(30-03-2014 05:41 PM)89JeepYJ Wrote:  Overheard a conversation the other day between two people. I didn't pay much attention at first, but the one said,"Gay people are the reason why God is going to destroy America." And then the other said something like,"That's why God destroyed Rome."

I felt like saying something, but I just kept on walking and laughed to myself.
I'm pretty sure I'm not the first person to hear something like this.

I heard this on the latest Reasonable doubts podcast. Are you one of the crew?

Nope. Never heard of that to be honest. I might check it out though.
31-03-2014, 01:14 PM
Quote:Some people seriously believe that the Roman Empire no longer exists because "God destroyed it."

Hey some people 'believe' the world was flooded to the tops of the mountains by an angry, too. Some people believe lots of silly shit.

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
31-03-2014, 11:49 PM
Was at the swimming pool and some lady was going on about how america was going to be destroyed because they voted liberal. Well a couple of weeks ago she was ice skating in front of me and crashed into a hurt kid who was bleeding all over the ice. I think she was going to help and crashed. Her actions didn't help the kid and I was thinking " Hmmmmm it seems your on your imaginary friends shit list"
01-04-2014, 01:55 AM
If God is destroying America, I suspect he's using his fan base to do so.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Pickup_shonuff's post