"God destroyed Rome"

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-04-2014, 04:04 AM
RE: "God destroyed Rome"
I love Roman and Byzantine history. I never tire of it and my love has been going on since age 20. I've read all the contemporary authors. Even the apologists. I loved Boethius. And Ammianus is probably my favorite.

From what I have gathered over the years is that Rome never fell. After Constantine moved east and anyone who was anyone went with him, Rome was left with the dregs. And those who could not afford to migrate were jealous and angry. Ammianus speaks of it in his magnificent history. Basically Rome became poor and irrelevant. It was the later Church that spoke of Rome falling. The truth is even its invaders came under its spell and wished to become Roman emperors. Just look at poor Boethius' fate. Killed by order of a barbarian pretender.

As the years passed the less qualified clergy bastardized Christianity with Paganism while the more educated clerics in Constantinople retained the more orthodox Christianity.

One always senses an inferiority complex driving the clerics in the west when compared with the east. Of course this jealoasy led to completely different versions of the faith. The ornate pagan inspired religion of the west born of a lack of talent is ironic in the extreme. Even the Pope wears a pagan hat to this day. Then later they proclaimed an evil empire fell and they rose in its place.

What a load of bollocks.

Experimental drug disengaged. Hopefully my brain will return.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
01-04-2014, 06:38 AM
RE: "God destroyed Rome"
Well he didn't do a very good job. I think Rome is still there.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply