God does endorse slavery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 01:31 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 01:37 PM by Leo.)
RE: God does endorse slavery
Tomasia you are cherry picking. If the bible is the word of god and god is a good and perfect deity, that means everything in the bible is okay. I should rape a superhot girl in your name and your gawd name. That means I can kill you if I see you working on the sabbath.

Religion is bullshit. The winner of the last person to post wins thread.Yes
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leo's post
05-05-2015, 01:33 PM
(05-05-2015 01:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 01:25 PM)Leo Wrote:  The bible is the perfect word of the gawd.

Well, that comes as news to me.

Proverbs 30:5 "Every word of God is flawless; he is a shield to those who take refuge in him."
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-05-2015, 06:54 PM
(05-05-2015 01:30 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 01:25 PM)Leo Wrote:  The bible is the perfect word of the gawd.

Well, that comes as news to me.

I always though it was writings of a bunch of Hebrews, struggling with the very question of God, imperfect like all human writings, but perceptive of something more than all other human writings.

This is the problem here. To you, You're not int he fundamentalist view of the bible. Your view isn't the only view of the text.

You know though, there are those people. Lots of them, who DO say the Bible is inerrant or objectively accurate. People wouldn't have this, oh the bible is flawed and those actions are horrid. If nobody believed that, Sure, there's no issue saying, well that's just that society at the time and what they thought was best for people. Most non-believers will get that easily... The point of distinction is against it being God's orders for mankind.

There is no reason for you to act innocent as if you're not aware of this clear factor of how the Bible is viewed.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
09-05-2015, 11:49 AM
(05-05-2015 12:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You're right. It was very nice of them to "allow" women to mourn an entire month after slaughtering her entire family. Shocking

It wasn't a cruelty added on top of another cruelty.

When we send the worst of society to the gallows, we offer them a last meal of their choosing. Which is very kind of us, but not the gallows part.

Just remember in Tomasia's logic. This.

[Image: cute-young-girl-standing-folded-hands-16066689.jpg]

is equal to this.

[Image: 4927273_G.jpg]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
09-05-2015, 03:57 PM
(05-05-2015 06:54 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You know though, there are those people. Lots of them, who DO say the Bible is inerrant or objectively accurate.

In reality, the concept of inerrancy is often widely different even among Christians who accept it. Infallibility and Inerrancy are not particularly the same thing, nor is it the same as literalism. The Catholic church also subscribes to inerrancy, but not the way certain fundie churches do, and many evangelical Churches and denominations view inerrancy along the same lines as the Catholic Church.

In the words of the beacon of Evangelical Apologetics, WLC:

" I think definitions are absolutely crucial in how we understand this. The doctrine of inerrancy doesn’t mean that everything in the Bible is literally true. It doesn’t mean that everything the Bible says is true. What inerrancy properly understood means is that everything that the Bible teaches is true, or that everything that the Bible affirms to be true is true."

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/what-is-i...z3ZgD9kKiC"

Quote: People wouldn't have this, oh the bible is flawed and those actions are horrid.

Well, I don't particularly find anything in the bible morally horrid as you might. In fact I find the ancient Hebrews to be far more moral than myself, in fact more so than likely any of us here. In fact I think the main group of the Walking Dead, Rick Grimes and his lot to be moral than me, even though they've committed a variety of shocking things, and doled some very gruesome forms of justice. I don't even view Mohammed as the moral inferior to Dawkins, or Hitchens, even though they haven't committed remotely the same things, but they've also never been in a predicaments in which they had to make those choices to begin with.

We might all be offended by the idea of chopping a thieves hands off, or stoning an adulterous, but then again in our world we don't have to deal with the same consequences of avoiding similar forms of severity.

We're lucky to have to never make tough moral decisions, all those have been made by others, and we're sort of just the recipients of those choices.

Quote:There is no reason for you to act innocent as if you're not aware of this clear factor of how the Bible is viewed.

If you actually question for a minute how anyone views the bible, even the most staunchest literalist, you'd discover that it's not clear at all. Particularly when you go beyond the reputations of slogans they might have acquired. You can take a variety of passages to any church, and ask each member what he thinks, and you'll likely find as many different responses as you would people.
09-05-2015, 06:18 PM
(09-05-2015 03:57 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 06:54 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  You know though, there are those people. Lots of them, who DO say the Bible is inerrant or objectively accurate.

In reality, the concept of inerrancy is often widely different even among Christians who accept it. Infallibility and Inerrancy are not particularly the same thing, nor is it the same as literalism. The Catholic church also subscribes to inerrancy, but not the way certain fundie churches do, and many evangelical Churches and denominations view inerrancy along the same lines as the Catholic Church.

In the words of the beacon of Evangelical Apologetics, WLC:

" I think definitions are absolutely crucial in how we understand this. The doctrine of inerrancy doesn’t mean that everything in the Bible is literally true. It doesn’t mean that everything the Bible says is true. What inerrancy properly understood means is that everything that the Bible teaches is true, or that everything that the Bible affirms to be true is true."

Read more: http://www.reasonablefaith.org/what-is-i...z3ZgD9kKiC"

Quote: People wouldn't have this, oh the bible is flawed and those actions are horrid.

Well, I don't particularly find anything in the bible morally horrid as you might. In fact I find the ancient Hebrews to be far more moral than myself, in fact more so than likely any of us here. In fact I think the main group of the Walking Dead, Rick Grimes and his lot to be moral than me, even though they've committed a variety of shocking things, and doled some very gruesome forms of justice. I don't even view Mohammed as the moral inferior to Dawkins, or Hitchens, even though they haven't committed remotely the same things, but they've also never been in a predicaments in which they had to make those choices to begin with.

We might all be offended by the idea of chopping a thieves hands off, or stoning an adulterous, but then again in our world we don't have to deal with the same consequences of avoiding similar forms of severity.

We're lucky to have to never make tough moral decisions, all those have been made by others, and we're sort of just the recipients of those choices.

Quote:There is no reason for you to act innocent as if you're not aware of this clear factor of how the Bible is viewed.

If you actually question for a minute how anyone views the bible, even the most staunchest literalist, you'd discover that it's not clear at all. Particularly when you go beyond the reputations of slogans they might have acquired. You can take a variety of passages to any church, and ask each member what he thinks, and you'll likely find as many different responses as you would people.

Why do you think an almighty being would leave his words open to such interpretation by common man? Wouldn't an almighty being want to make sure his guide to living and "morality" would be very clear and not open to any type of interpretation by man--especially since in The Bible man is always seen as less than in God's eyes? Wouldn't it make more sense that the reason the Bible is open to so many different interpretations is because it was written by different writers with different views in a different time and not by an almighty being?
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post