God does endorse slavery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-05-2015, 01:01 PM
RE: God does endorse slavery
There's this interesting concept called "Not going on killing sprees to begin with". When you have an all powerful god on your side, this should be incredibly easy.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
04-05-2015, 01:05 PM
(04-05-2015 01:01 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  There's this interesting concept called "Not going on killing sprees to begin with". When you have an all powerful god on your side, this should be incredibly easy.

Because an all powerful God would kill your enemies for you?
04-05-2015, 01:06 PM
No, because an all powerful god could prevent whatever problem would supposedly require a killing spree. Or failing that could come up with some other solution.

04-05-2015, 01:11 PM
(04-05-2015 01:06 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  No, because an all powerful god could prevent whatever problem would supposedly require a killing spree. Or failing that could come up with some other solution.

So basically an all powerful God would have created a world that operates and exists much differently than this one?
04-05-2015, 01:13 PM
An all powerful god should have foresight and problem solving skills.

[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
04-05-2015, 01:22 PM
(04-05-2015 01:13 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  An all powerful god should have foresight and problem solving skills.

To solving what problem?

That this all powerful god would be like some superman in the sky, rescuing people from every turn and whim? That a world in which such a God would have created would be nothing like our battered world, but perhaps one you consider more idyllic and perfect, free of war, and human conflicts?
04-05-2015, 01:53 PM (This post was last modified: 05-05-2015 12:10 AM by CleverUsername.)
You presented the idea that they absolutely had to kidnap and rape a bunch of women because the alternatives were killing them or leaving them to fend for themselves. I suggest that the solution to the problem was to not kill their people to begin with, which having someone all powerful on your side should make easy because it should eliminate any need to kill them they should have.

How you're making the jump to "God should be Superman and make the world perfect" is beyond me. He's already giving this one group orders, saying he could give them less bloody orders does not bind him to help everyone with every problem ever.

Though looking back at more context, it seems the actual problem with the scenario is that God's just a war-hungry jackass and wouldn't go for the less horrible solutions.

[+] 2 users Like CleverUsername's post
04-05-2015, 02:04 PM
(04-05-2015 12:08 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  As opposed to what? Killing them off like the rest of their family? Allowing them to live, but discarded, and unsupported, left to fend for themselves?

So not only do you concede that the bible does endorse rape, you think it's a better alternative to letting the women fend for themselves. You are morally bankrupt.
[+] 1 user Likes Bad Wolf's post
04-05-2015, 02:06 PM
(04-05-2015 01:53 PM)CleverUsername Wrote:  I suggest that the solution to the problem was to not kill their people to begin with, which having someone all powerful on your side should make easy because it should eliminate any need to kill them they should have.

How you're making the jump from "God should be Superman and make the world perfect" is beyond me. He's already giving this one group orders, saying he could give them less bloody orders does not bind him to help everyone with every problem ever.

That's basically what you describe, a God who served as the hebrews versions of the Avengers, in which all they had to do was flash their bat signal to call upon, rather than one that left them to struggle with their own dilemmas, to make tough decisions, to weight in on questions of life death, and survival.
04-05-2015, 02:34 PM
Again, he's already talking to them and giving them instructions. They are not forcing him to help nor is he doing everything for them. And you already posited that the reason he ordered them to rape people was because it was somehow the more humane option, so why on Earth would he only bother to order the nicest option this far down the line when being humane earlier could have avoided that problem where there was no good solution (well, not one that wouldn't be horribly taxing on God's poor never ending powers)?