God does endorse slavery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 11:52 AM
RE: God does endorse slavery
(05-05-2015 11:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I would hate to see how a tribe of liberal humanist sentiments, the sort that occupy us comfortable westerners, would have fared in the ancient world. We grown too fat and happy with the fact that the toughest decisions we'll ever have to make in our life revolve around finding a cable provider, and how we want our lattes.

You have just descended from being an arrogant spaced out woo peddler, to a slimy self-righteous prick.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Timber1025's post
05-05-2015, 11:54 AM
(05-05-2015 11:52 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I would hate to see how a tribe of liberal humanist sentiments, the sort that occupy us comfortable westerners, would have fared in the ancient world. We grown too fat and happy with the fact that the toughest decisions we'll ever have to make in our life revolve around finding a cable provider, and how we want our lattes.

You have just descended from being an arrogant spaced out woo peddler, to a slimy self-righteous prick.

No, I'm also the guy having a tough time choosing a cable provider, and how I want my latte.

I'm also not so quick to judge those who lived in a time much harsher than mine, who had to make decisions I would never even remotely face, or pat myself on the back for my supposed moral superiority.
05-05-2015, 11:57 AM
(05-05-2015 11:51 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  So if you lost a loved one--u would want your "loving" spouse to tell u how long u could mourn for them? that is love?

So you think Hebrews commanding, that these woman be given a full month to mourn, is cruel, rather than a command empathizing with them, recognizing them as people too?

Is this the way you think when companies provide their employee bereavement leave, to mourn the loss of their loved one?

You think the law was written to limit the time they were allowed to mourn, rather that to insure that they were granted time to mourn?

You're right. It was very nice of them to "allow" women to mourn an entire month after slaughtering her entire family. Shocking
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-05-2015, 12:01 PM

Argue reality, or argue about the Bible. Pick one.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
05-05-2015, 12:03 PM
(05-05-2015 11:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You're right. It was very nice of them to "allow" women to mourn an entire month after slaughtering her entire family. Shocking

It wasn't a cruelty added on top of another cruelty.

When we send the worst of society to the gallows, we offer them a last meal of their choosing. Which is very kind of us, but not the gallows part.
05-05-2015, 12:06 PM
(05-05-2015 11:54 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:52 AM)Timber1025 Wrote:  You have just descended from being an arrogant spaced out woo peddler, to a slimy self-righteous prick.

No, I'm also the guy having a tough time choosing a cable provider, and how I want my latte.

I'm also not so quick to judge those who lived in a time much harsher than mine, who had to make decisions I would never even remotely face, or pat myself on the back for my supposed moral superiority.

You're absolutely right--it was a culture from long ago. But that is all it was--a culture from long ago. Unfortunately, it becomes a problem when some people today believe that this was God's chosen culture and try and live their lives accordingly--while bashing everyone who chooses not to in the process.
05-05-2015, 12:08 PM
(05-05-2015 12:03 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:57 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You're right. It was very nice of them to "allow" women to mourn an entire month after slaughtering her entire family. Shocking

It wasn't a cruelty added on top of another cruelty.

When we send the worst of society to the gallows, we offer them a last meal of their choosing. Which is very kind of us, but not the gallows part.

Innocent women caught up as spoils of war ='s death row inmate who chopped up entire family. Seems reasonable. Yes
05-05-2015, 12:17 PM
(05-05-2015 12:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You're absolutely right--it was a culture from long ago. But that is all it was--a culture from long ago.

Yet, here we are passing moral judgements on them, even though our conditions are not even remotely similar, and if somehow they were, imagining we'd do things differently. Here we are, not acutely aware of their own moral dimensions and considerations. They conceded to a brutish world, but they weren't monsters, and their history as a people is one marred with a real moral struggle.
05-05-2015, 12:26 PM
(05-05-2015 10:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  You seem to assume it would be death by their hands, rather than by the elements themselves.

It's irrelevent how they would die, the point is that they would. It is the alternative. They still wouldn't want to marry the men, and they still wouldn't want to have sex with them = rape.

(05-05-2015 10:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It's like if we to go to war and ruin the basic infrastructure, water supply. While you may not directly kill the civilian population, by shooting them, their fate is perhaps even worse, because they'll die from the conditions in which they are left in.

Yea, and you know what we do when that does happen? We provide aid without trying to shag them. We help them with no prospect of a reward or trade.

(05-05-2015 10:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  What do you think the chances of survival for a band of young woman in the ancient world would be? Would it be better to leave them in ruins, to themselves, and to the whims cruel elements of their time? Or to take care of them, provide for them, as one would a wife?

It would have been better for them to not destroy their infrastructure in the first place. Or at the very least they could help rebuild it to a suitable state in which the women could survive. Anyway, how much damage to infrasturcture could these people have done? Unless they purposefully burned all the crops and salted the land, slaughtered the animals and poisoned the wells. Doesn't seem such an indirect cause of death now does it?

These women were raped, your god condones it, your bible condones it. You are a rape apologist.
[+] 2 users Like Bad Wolf's post
05-05-2015, 12:27 PM
(05-05-2015 12:17 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 12:06 PM)jennybee Wrote:  You're absolutely right--it was a culture from long ago. But that is all it was--a culture from long ago.

Yet, here we are passing moral judgements on them, even though our conditions are not even remotely similar, and if somehow they were, imagining we'd do things differently. Here we are, not acutely aware of their own moral dimensions and considerations. They conceded to a brutish world, but they weren't monsters, and their history as a people is one marred with a real moral struggle.

Understood. However, in looking back through a modern lens, many of the things that went on during biblical times were pretty horrific. I mean, I think we can say that now. I'm sure they had their "reasons" at the time for doing what they were doing--but that doesn't make them any less horrific. And in some passages--they seem to know how horrific they are being. It's not just biblical history that is horrific--there have been lots of tragedies throughout time (and going on currently) in a variety of different times/places/cultures. But the Bible has a danger to it--and that is that it drags God into it--and that's where things get dangerous in modern times.
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post