God does endorse slavery

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-05-2015, 10:45 AM
RE: God does endorse slavery
(05-05-2015 09:16 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  If the alternative is death, then there isn't really a choice. If I put a gun to your head and tell you to kill someone, it's not really a choice. You don't want to do it, but you also don't want to die. Same goes for these women, they don't want to have sex with these men, but they will get raped because the alternative is death.

You seem to assume it would be death by their hands, rather than by the elements themselves. It's like if we to go to war and ruin the basic infrastructure, water supply. While you may not directly kill the civilian population, by shooting them, their fate is perhaps even worse, because they'll die from the conditions in which they are left in.

What do you think the chances of survival for a band of young woman in the ancient world would be? Would it be better to leave them in ruins, to themselves, and to the whims cruel elements of their time? Or to take care of them, provide for them, as one would a wife?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 10:56 AM
(05-05-2015 10:15 AM)CleverUsername Wrote:  And sometimes those horribly brutish decisions are left with you because you already did horrible things. Funny that.

Horrible things like war? Having to kill a surrounding tribe that threatens the survival and existence of your own? Sometimes horrible things are necessities in our world, if we want to make it through the night.

Quote:Who the ever living hell would be okay with being force-ably wed to the person that killed their family and kidnapped them, even if it was a celibate marriage?

Probably young girls who knew without them being taken as wives, their fate would be far worse if left alone, to fend for themselves.

I'm curious how you think surrounding tribes at the time would have acted and behaved? Perhaps raped them and discarded them, killed them afterwards? Do you think the Hebrew represent the best of their times, or the very worst?
05-05-2015, 11:24 AM
(05-05-2015 10:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 09:16 AM)Bad Wolf Wrote:  If the alternative is death, then there isn't really a choice. If I put a gun to your head and tell you to kill someone, it's not really a choice. You don't want to do it, but you also don't want to die. Same goes for these women, they don't want to have sex with these men, but they will get raped because the alternative is death.

You seem to assume it would be death by their hands, rather than by the elements themselves. It's like if we to go to war and ruin the basic infrastructure, water supply. While you may not directly kill the civilian population, by shooting them, their fate is perhaps even worse, because they'll die from the conditions in which they are left in.

What do you think the chances of survival for a band of young woman in the ancient world would be? Would it be better to leave them in ruins, to themselves, and to the whims cruel elements of their time? Or to take care of them, provide for them, as one would a wife?

Oh great - another rape and slavery apologist. The armies did the 32,000 young virgins a favor by keeping them as spoils of war - what a JACKASS! What about the portion of virgins awarded to god as spoils of war? ASS.

“Truth does not demand belief. Scientists do not join hands every Sunday, singing, yes, gravity is real! I will have faith! I will be strong! I believe in my heart that what goes up, up, up, must come down, down, down. Amen! If they did, we would think they were pretty insecure about it.”
— Dan Barker —
[+] 2 users Like Timber1025's post
05-05-2015, 11:27 AM
(05-05-2015 10:45 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  

I have heard this exact same thing from my pastor back when I was a Christian when I asked him about the horrors in the Bible. If someone invaded your country, devastated your land, killed all of your family/friends/neighbors and then took you away as a war prize, told you how long you could grieve for your dead family and friends, and then made you their property (because that is what wives were back then)--how would you feel? This wasn't done as a nicety to the women--it was done so the men could have a war sex prize.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
05-05-2015, 11:33 AM
(05-05-2015 11:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I have heard this exact same thing from my pastor back when I was a Christian when I asked him about the horrors in the Bible. If someone invaded your country, devastated your land, killed all of your family/friends/neighbors and then took you away as a war prize, told you how long you could grieve for your dead family and friends, and then made you their property (because that is what wives were back then)--how would you feel? This wasn't done as a nicety to the women--it was done so the men could have a war sex prize.

If it was so men could just have a war sex prize, why were they required to wed them? Why were they required to give them time to mourn? Why not just declare them as property, to be used and abused at the owners discretion?
05-05-2015, 11:40 AM
(05-05-2015 10:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Horrible things like war? Having to kill a surrounding tribe that threatens the survival and existence of your own? Sometimes horrible things are necessities in our world, if we want to make it through the night.

Again, ALL POWEFUL GOD ON THEIR SIDE. And yes, yes, "So you want god to be *insert stupid superhero references*", but the thing with that is that you're presenting it as a ludicrous idea but not giving any reasons why it is. Why shouldn't the all powerful dude who made everything prevent unnecessary death, kidnapping, and rape on that everything? Does he just want to watch? Cause that swings right back to "Horrible jackass".

Quote:Probably young girls who knew without them being taken as wives, their fate would be far worse if left alone, to fend for themselves.

I'm curious how you think surrounding tribes at the time would have acted and behaved? Perhaps raped them and discarded them, killed them afterwards? Do you think the Hebrew represent the best of their times, or the very worst?

Hey, look, we're back to arguing it was the better option! Way to have consistency in your argument!

No, knowing that your options suck does not make you okay with one option, any more than holding a gun to someone's head and forcing them to drive off a cliff makes them okay with driving off a cliff.

I think the people of the time well represented a bronze age society with no divine being helping them.

Popcorn I put more thought into fiction than theists put into reality.
[+] 1 user Likes CleverUsername's post
05-05-2015, 11:40 AM
(05-05-2015 11:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 11:27 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I have heard this exact same thing from my pastor back when I was a Christian when I asked him about the horrors in the Bible. If someone invaded your country, devastated your land, killed all of your family/friends/neighbors and then took you away as a war prize, told you how long you could grieve for your dead family and friends, and then made you their property (because that is what wives were back then)--how would you feel? This wasn't done as a nicety to the women--it was done so the men could have a war sex prize.

If it was so men could have a war sex prize, why where they required to wed them? Why were they required to give them time to mourn? Why not just declare them as property, to be used and abused at the owners discretion?

So if you lost a loved one--u would want your "loving" spouse to tell u how long u could mourn for them? that is love?

All women were considered property back then--even the women from their own land. The reason they had to marry them is because unmarried sex was offensive to God and when God got offended he made some pretty shitty things happen (for ex. babylonian captivity).

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
05-05-2015, 11:41 AM
I would hate to see how a tribe of liberal humanist sentiments, the sort that occupy us comfortable westerners, would have fared in the ancient world. We grown too fat and happy with the fact that the toughest decisions we'll ever have to make in our life revolve around finding a cable provider, and how we want our lattes.
05-05-2015, 11:48 AM
(05-05-2015 11:41 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I would hate to see how a tribe of liberal humanist sentiments, the sort that occupy us comfortable westerners, would have fared in the ancient world. We grown too fat and happy with the fact that the toughest decisions we'll ever have to make in our life revolve around finding a cable provider, and how we want our lattes.

Seriously??

http://rosebellkagumire.com/2013/10/16/r...in-uganda/

http://www.desertflowerfoundation.org/en/what-is-fgm/

05-05-2015, 11:51 AM
(05-05-2015 11:40 AM)jennybee Wrote:  So if you lost a loved one--u would want your "loving" spouse to tell u how long u could mourn for them? that is love?

So you think Hebrews commanding, that these woman be given a full month to mourn, is cruel, rather than a command empathizing with them, recognizing them as people too?

Is this the way you think when companies provide their employee bereavement leave, to mourn the loss of their loved one?

You think the law was written to limit the time they were allowed to mourn, rather that to insure that they were granted time to mourn?