God does not exist

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Votes - 1 Average
30-05-2015, 05:08 PM
God does not exist
Since theists always say that we claim God doesn't exist, I thought I actually would posit some gods and say that they positively do NOT exist. This is generally not my practice, since the burden of proof is on the theist and it is up to them to define their terms before an existance claim can be evaluated. But I think I will put forth some gods and assert positively that they do NOT exist. And if asked I will defend that position.

Any god that is claimed to be omnipotent does not exist.

Any god that is both benevolent and has control over the world does not exist.

Any god that is omniscient does not exist.

Any god that is defined as a being of pure consciousness without a physical medium does not exist.

I'll put up more if I think of them.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
30-05-2015, 05:25 PM
RE: God does not exist
I think there's a subtle nuance for me...

The burden of proof is on theist to show credible evidence of god and no evidence in any religion I've encountered passes the test. Hence it's fair to say, that no evidence of a god exists. Specially no god as described by any religion...

The subtlety is that it doesn't go so far as to say a god does't exist... it's just a "we don't know". Just as theist need to fill the void of "I don't know" with a positive position of god, many atheist have the same craving to fill the same void with a negative position...

Keeping it with a "we don't know" will continue the search, a "yes" or "no" stops the search. And I've abstracted god now to be any unknown entity or force, conscious or not that caused existence.
[+] 1 user Likes slakker's post
30-05-2015, 05:33 PM
I think at the end of the day it doesn't even matter if he does or doesn't. It's more of an issue with the premise that I don't agree with. So although I don't believe he does exist, if he did and what is in the bible is true I reject his way of doing things.
30-05-2015, 05:35 PM (This post was last modified: 30-05-2015 06:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
Yabut, what about Bob?

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
30-05-2015, 06:55 PM
(30-05-2015 05:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yabut, what about Bob?

You post, ergo sum. I believe in you Bob.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
30-05-2015, 07:04 PM
Strangers on Bus'es don't exist so the song is invalid.

I'd say an easier one though, any solid physical form lightning throwing God doesn't exist.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
30-05-2015, 07:21 PM
Any god that is claimed to live on clouds does not exist.
30-05-2015, 07:22 PM
If there is a god, it's clearly an indifferent one. The real question is to why anyone should praise such an inconsequential thing.

"I don't have to have faith, I have experience." Joseph Campbell
[+] 3 users Like grizzlysnake's post
30-05-2015, 07:22 PM
(30-05-2015 06:55 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(30-05-2015 05:35 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Yabut, what about Bob?

You post, ergo sum. I believe in you Bob.

That makes one of us.

#sigh
30-05-2015, 07:27 PM
Quote:And I've abstracted god now to be any unknown entity or force, conscious or not that caused existence.

This is what my dad says. My objection is that the word god has too much baggage associated with it. You might say god in an abstract non-anthropomorphic pantheistic way, but that isn't how the term is usually meant. If you use the word god as the label for the forces that govern the universe, ok, then that does exist. But that is light years away from the meaning that most people attach to it.