God doesn't need logic...we couldn't understand it

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-01-2014, 07:45 PM
God doesn't need logic...we couldn't understand it
So my best friend and I got into a discussion via facebook after my post basically explaining Matt Dilihunty's God/Mafia Boss comparison. He basically responded with the whole..If you could understand God's logic he wouldn't be much of a God would he. What????

Why is this God just given a pass on this. He's not accountable for the logic in his messages, his actions, his tyranny?

The big stand point I had to make was this: If anything your God should be more accountable for the logic in his actions and words than anyone because of course he is all knowing and all powerful. He should be able to make it clear what he wants and be able to convey it to even the lowest common denominator.

I dunno I just don't see how anyone can accept this so blindly anymore its really disheartening especially when it's someone like this friend that I've known since pre k.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes MrKrispy601's post
11-01-2014, 07:50 PM
RE: God doesn't need logic...we couldn't understand it
The you cannot understand god's logic spiel is used when the theist realizes s/he has no argument left. It is basically a lame apologist tactic.
[+] 1 user Likes Foxen's post
11-01-2014, 07:58 PM
First of all, your friend hasn't even shown any evidence that such a creature exists at all. Have him back up and start there.

Second, your friend is employing a Special Pleading Fallacy. He is claiming that this "God"-thing enjoys a "special" sort of logic unto itself.

All in all it's a dodge and your "friend" is being dishonest as fuck with you. His behavior is precisely the same as a pathological liar's: whatever he "feels" to be true, is true to him. Also, whatever he makes up as he goes along, is his truth.

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
11-01-2014, 08:00 PM
It's usually done in the context of special pleading; to shut up dissenters. "You can't understand God's logic you silly heathen. You can only understand his logic when it EXACTLY coincides with what I think his logic should be."

Yeah, sure, nothing suspicious there. Dodgy

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 5 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post
11-01-2014, 08:57 PM
(11-01-2014 07:45 PM)MrKrispy601 Wrote:  Why is this God just given a pass on this. He's not accountable for the logic in his messages, his actions, his tyranny?

It's cognitive dissonance. They believe something that obviously makes no sense, and this deeply offends them. So, you whip up a bit of special pleading here and some non-falsifiable bullshit there, and you end up with a god who isn't responsible for all the bad shit that he does/allows.

(11-01-2014 07:50 PM)Foxen Wrote:  The you cannot understand god's logic spiel is used when the theist realizes s/he has no argument left. It is basically a lame apologist tactic.

Yeah. I think for a lot of them, it doesn't actually sit well. During the period of time where I stopped believing, all the apologetics I used to spew started to trouble me more and more rather than making me feel better. I think a lot of them know it's a blatant cop out.
[+] 1 user Likes RobbyPants's post
11-01-2014, 09:00 PM
Well, yeah.

If God were understandable, we could understand God.
We do not understand God.
Therefore, God is not understandable.

Can you spot the hidden premise?
(hint: it's God exists)

To double down on asinine insanity is to then argue that God's not being understood can be used as proof of God's existing for us to not understand. Oh, yes. I've seen it done.

... this is my signature!
[+] 3 users Like cjlr's post
11-01-2014, 09:02 PM
Or what gets me is: only believers can understand God, non believers have had their hearts hardened. Mmmmhmmmm
11-01-2014, 09:05 PM
(11-01-2014 09:02 PM)jaxx Wrote:  Or what gets me is: only believers can understand God, non believers have had their hearts hardened. Mmmmhmmmm

"That's why you are all so ANGRY." Hobo

It's Special Pleadings all the way down!

Magic Talking Snakes STFU -- revenantx77

You can't have your special pleading and eat it too. -- WillHop
11-01-2014, 09:05 PM
(11-01-2014 09:02 PM)jaxx Wrote:  Or what gets me is: only believers can understand God, non believers have had their hearts hardened. Mmmmhmmmm

I'm real happy for you, and I'm'a let you finish, but No True Scotsman fallacy is one of the best fallacies of all time.

... this is my signature!
11-01-2014, 09:49 PM
The problem is this. The very moment any believer starts to defend god, using any number of (horrible) apologetics, or the moment they start describing any attribute, characteristic, or desire of god, they are using logic. By their own very argument, this may now be safely discarded.

"I take all knowledge to be my province."
-Sir Francis Bacon
[+] 2 users Like BracesForImpact's post